Thread: The 8th "RAFFAELE CALACE" International Mandolin Competition

Default The 8th "RAFFAELE CALACE" International Mandolin Competition

Hello All,

As you all know, of course, last weekend (2-4 september 2011) the 8th "RAFFAELE CALACE" International Mandolin Competition took place in Ripalimosani (Campobasso), Italy and I am proud to inform you that the young Dutch mandolinist FERDINAND BINNENDIJK won the 1st prize!

The second prize was won by OLENA KURKINA from the Ukraine and the third prize was awarded to the Italian mandolinist RAFFAELE LA RAGIONE.

Here is a photo with Ferdinand Binnendijk holding the 1st prize, a brand new Concert Mandolin Modello 'Ripa' made by Maestro Raffaele Calace Jr.! A really beautiful instrument with a brilliant, strong and loud voice! Very impressive! If time permits the comming weeks, I hope to add photos and videos here.

Standing right from Ferdinand is Maestro Raffaele Calace Jr. and on his left we see Mr. Artemisio Gavioli, chairman of the Ferderazioni Mandolinistica Italiana ánd chairman of the jury.

Best greetings,

Alex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA  RAFFAELE CALACE CONCOURS 2011 Ferdinand (kl).jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	75979  

Default Re: The 8th "RAFFAELE CALACE" International Mandolin Competition

From this point on, of course, we'll have to speak of Maestro Binnendijk!

Bravo, bravissimo!

For once, I'm all out of words...

Wonderful news, for all of us who have known Ferdinand, the young man and his artistry.

Three cheers!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Hello Victor and all interested,

Thanks! Yes indeed it is Maestro Ferdinand Binnendijk! In one year Ferdinand won three competitions in a row! Two important ones in Holland and one of the most prestigeous International Mandolin there are; the Raffaele Calace concours in Italy. And all 1st prizes!

It was a really amazing event; this Calace contest weekend! The level of playing was very high and the compettitors were all fine musicians and I heard some fine interpretations of a.o. music, that of Calace's music.. Besides the mandatory composition; the 'Notturno, cielo stellato' by Raffaele Calace, Ferdinand performed the 'Variations on a Basque Melody' by Victor Kioulaphides, Alison Stephens' wonderful 'La Tristezza D'Inverno' and the 'Preludio No. II' by Raffaele Calace Sr. Here is a photo I made of Ferdinand made during the 1st day of the contest.

Best,

Alex.

Name:	Ferdinand Binnendijk at the 8th Raffaele Calace Contest in Ripalimosani, Italy, 2011..JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	75982  

Hi all,

Here is a snapshot of Ferdinand Binnendijk right after the contest in the hotel lobby playing on the 2011 Raffaele Calace Jr. Concert Mandolin he won at the 8th 'RAFFAELE CALACE' Concours for Mandolin in Ripalimosano, Italy.

Enjoy a short but special moment caught on video!

Best Alex.

Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Sep-07-2011 at 5:31pm.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Alex, for posting all this. Who were the guys in the hotel in the video with Ferdinand? Were they from the Calace workshop?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Hello Mick,

That was what struck me so much! Only the person in the white shirt left to Ferdinand we know and that is mr. Antonio di Lauro, one of the organizers of the 8th 'Raffaele Calace' Concours. The man left from him is an employé from the Hotel where we stayed and the person on the right from Ferdinand is an Italian guest of the Hotel. They (the two 'un-known' men) had heard Ferdinand had won 1st Prize and interestedly asked him whether he would like to show the new Calace mandolin he had won. So Ferdinand took it out of the case and played this little piece for them.

For me, and I think the few others around me, it was the way how they were listening to Ferdinand playing the Piccola Gavotta by Calace Sr.; simply unique and special - 4 men standing and 3 of them really listening to a young man who loves his instrument, over 2 o'clock in the night, dimmed light in the Hotel hall... All aspects that together gave us, the Calace family and me at my side of the camera, this very special atmosphere never to forget...

Best, Alex.
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Sep-08-2011 at 11:02am.

Hello all,

For your information; here is a photo with Ferdinand Binnendijk and the Jury of the 8th International 'Raffaele Calace' Concours for Mandolin 2011.

Best greetings, Alex.

Name:	RAFFAELE CALACE CONCOURS 2011 winner and jury - kl en tekst..jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	76046  

The two bystanders must have had some knowledge of the mandolin repertoire. Watch their reaction when Ferdinand throws in some unwritten ornamentation...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Hi All,

Here is the II PRELUDIO (Op.49) by RAFFAELE CALACE (1863-1934) performed by Ferdinand Binnendijk in the church of Ripalimosani.
    This performance was one of three appearences during the 8th 'RAFFAELE CALACE' Concours for mandolin (2011) Ferdinand Binnendijk participated in. This edition of the Concours took place from 2 - 4 September 2011 in Ripamilosani (Campobasso), Italy.

Ferdinand Binnendijk played on a Modern Napolitan concert mandolin made in 1930 by the Neapolitan Master luthier Raffaele Calace Sr. and with it, he was awarded the 1st prize of this prestigious International Mandolin Contest.

Thanks for the sound material goes to Beert and Margriet Greydanus and, for the video and editing it all, to myself

Enjoy; History was made by Ferdinand!

Best greetings,

Alex.

Haven't be around for awhile but I love coming in and seeing something like this. Congratulations! Incredible achievements!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.