Thread: Big Muddy Mandolins

Default Big Muddy Mandolins

This is my first post. I own two great mandos and a mandola, left handed built by Mike Dulak. I learned about them here on Mandolin Cafe.

The reason I am now posting is because of a really bad review, of Big Muddy, on the website "Yelp".

Once I read it I responded by sharing my encounters with Mike and the real quality of his mandolins. After I posted I sent an e-mail to Mike letting him know what I did and as always he was very gracious in his response. When I checked "Yelp" in the next couple of days my review had disappeared, even though the negative one was still up onthe site. So, I wrote another one and it was also sent to the filtered reviews with the very negative one still up.

Anyway, my personal review of Mike and Big Muddy is simple and to the point stated here. I could not be happier with the mandos I now own and enjoy each time they are in my hands and playing. I have a walnut back mando and mandola that sound great.
    My favorite, which I received a couple of weeks ago, is a mahogany mando and has such a sweet sound that my other two are probably very jealous because I go to it first.

As far as Mike Dulak is concerned I could not have anyone better build a mando than him.

Thanks and I will continue to hang out and post something every now and then.

Thanks for letting me post and I continue to enjoy the Mandolin Cafe.
    Last edited by Pitbozz; Aug-21-2011 at 3:46pm. Reason: My last sentence was not finished

Default Re: Big Muddy Mandolins

If you're concerned (and it seems to me that you are) then you might consider asking the "Yelp" moderators about why your NFI (make sure they know that) reviews have disappeared. They may have assumed you are a partisan with financial interest if you were responding very clearly to the other review.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Seems that it and another good review are now posted on YELP
    Jim Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by DerTiefster View Post
    If you're concerned (and it seems to me that you are) then you might consider asking the "Yelp" moderators about why your NFI (make sure they know that) reviews have disappeared. They may have assumed you are a partisan with financial interest if you were responding very clearly to the other review.
    I did just that and there has been no response from them at all. I am not posting to solve the problem, but to let other folks who might be looking for a great hand built mando they could do no better than to contact Mike for their needs.

I think Mike Dulak's reputation here will far outweigh a bad review on Yelp. What was the nature of the complaint?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    I think Mike Dulak's reputation here will far outweigh a bad review on Yelp. What was the nature of the complaint?
    It said the owner had stolen up to $ 700.00 and that Mike was an imposter, which made no sense at all especially in my dealings with Mike.

That's really crazy. I've told this story here a lot, so apologies to those with rolling eyes. I have a Mid Mo M2 that I play a lot and it had a brace fail about a year out of warranty. I decided to have it fixed and thought I'd have the shop do the work if they would, fully expecting to pay. Mike fixed it at no charge and even paid the return shipping. He was also a blast to talk to on the phone.
    Steve

The fact that Mike fixed Steve's mandolin and paid for return shipping is no surprise to me at all. I have a Big Muddy, that I really enjoy, and working with Mike was a blast. Most folks HERE know Mid-Mo and Big Muddy, so Mike's reputation is in good hands.

Welcome to the Cafe, and do not be a stranger!!

Jim D
    Jim D

This is my first post as well, and, like the previous post, I'm here to speak up for Michael Dulak and Big Muddy Mandolins. We've been a dealer of his for at least a decade. We all know what great mandolins he makes . . . they're an easy sell in my shop . . . all solid, well-built, sound great, American-made, etc. But, beyond that, Mike is one of the most straight-up guys I know . . . always comes through for us, always backs up his work (though I rarely need to send anything back), wonderful guy. I'm not sure what the negative comment on Yelp is even about, but I don't think much of Yelp itself, if it takes down all the positives (yes, I sent one there, too, and it never showed up). Sites like that just seem to be data mines. If someone wants to give their personal information to them just for the opportunity to sound off, well, go with God.