Thread: The "Guitalele"

Default The "Guitalele"

The Yamaha Guitalele, Great piece, After 23 years of steady donating in FF I finally won the superbowl last year and had my heart set on a "found money" ukelele purchase. I checked out a few and wasn't blown away with any of them. I know top shelf martin's can run as much as $2K-3K, but I wasn't looking for that kind of musical tool/toy investment.

The cheaper ones never made the leap from toy to tool for me, too plucky/plingy for my tastes, It seemed like they'd all be owned by Woody in Toy Story? I had a ~$300 Martin Rosewood Uke coming in on back order in October, but a friend who runs that guitar portion of a local shop called and said I gotta check this baby out. The "Guitalele" I fell in love with it. It's got that minstrel ukelele feel sound, but it's a legitimate instrument, It lists at a mere $99 and I got it for ~$80, Great little musical tool. It's got that classical guitar sound due to the nylon strings, but in that mini uke feel.

It tunes as if you're capoed at the 5th fret (ADGCEA), Here's a sampling....

Live Full, Love Deep

Default Re: The "Guitalele"

I have one too. Great fun aren't they!

Registered User Cathal Whelehan's Avatar

I've had one for about 18 months and they really are great fun.

Unbeatable value for money too (I think mine cost only 55 Euros). This was the video clip that made me want one:

Cathal

Dave Shapiro mandolin (in progress - ETA Dec 2011/Jan 2012)
    Stanford DFM-300 mandolin (2009)
    Eastman MD604 mandolin (2007)
    John Hullah bouzouki (1989)
    Clareen Oyster tenor banjo (2011)

Very nice! I'm a fan of nylon also. Don't know if you happened to catch my posting about converting a cheap baritone uke to a double course low tuned mando, but it's here if you didn't catch it:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...r-bodied-Mando
    rudy44

My gosh, never thought of mini-guitar.. Never thought I'd want a mini, but WTH...a little dadgad, etc...I like uke, but I like guitar much better as I'm a fingerstyle player. Maybe I better get one of these. hmm!

I imagine a resonator model will be coming within a year or two. That'll be cool...I like my reso-uke, but two more strings is so much more advantageous