Thread: RIP Amy Winehouse

Default RIP Amy Winehouse

Fantastic singer.
    Troubled soul.
    RIP
    Barry

Blog Entries

Default Re: RIP Amy Winehouse

Now, here's a subject I didn't expect to be discussed at the Cafe. That said, I really liked what I've heard and seen of Amy's: namely, the "Rehab" song and video, and a concert video. But she was so destined to join the 27 club. Too bad.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

A talented singer... yes. A talented songwriter... sure. A genius... no. Really more of novelty who caught the public's imagination with her big voice and troubled persona. Billie Holiday she wasn't. Just another marketable (alas, more than ever I'm afraid) pop celebricommodity who died from the pressure. A shame...
    Last edited by Glassweb; Jul-24-2011 at 3:58pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    A talented singer... yes. A talented songwriter... sure. A genius... no. Really more of novelty who caught the public's imagination with her big voice and troubled persona. Billie Holiday she wasn't. Just another marketable (alas, more than ever I'm afraid) pop celebricommodity who died from the pressure.
    True but it is sad for her family -- I don't know the details but I've heard they tried many things to turn her around. She was somebody's little girl once upon a time. Then again she created most of her troubles -- there are many other young people who met a similar fate and were totally innocent -- e.g., in the wrong place at the right time etc. -- but you never hear of them.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I'm not so sure she died from the pressure, although I am sure that did not help.

I think she died from being an untreated addict who unfortuneatly had enough money and enablers to indulge her addictions. Many have followed and fallen along this path. There are many more out there who I hope take heed of this incredible waste of talent. I feel for the loss to the family, and to the untapped talent that will never be appreciated.

Was she great? I don't know. Would she have been great? We'll never know now.

"Thoroughly have we seen people fail who have rarely followed our path....half pints availed us nothing..."
    Last edited by dcoventry; Jul-24-2011 at 5:17pm.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Such a sad thing for anyone and their family. People act like they "know" these famous people, but we can never really know what went on in their lives, what they were really like. I feel bad for such a young person having left this world in such a tragic way.
    Chris
    Eastman MD505

Shoulda gone to rehab---yes-yes- yes!

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I liked her singing and songs. R.I.P. Amy.

She DID go to rehab... more than once I believe. Addictions are tough to beat - even with help. Hell, I can't stop eating sushi! Heroin has GOTTA be more addictive than sushi!

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

The sad part is is that it was her boyfriend and bandmate who supposedly got her addicted years back. My dad died of alcohol, so I feel for the family. I do think she had a ton of potential. Only a few really good songs so far, but if she weren't on the stuff, who knows.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

She was the same age as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Brian Jones, and more or less also shared the same cause of death. As for her music, she leaves behind two albums, one good, one great. Sad that she is gone, sad that this is her legacy. I hope she will be remembered for her music, though I expect the scandalous nature of her life and death will fuel the tabloids and she will be remembered more for that than her music. That too is sad.

I put on "Back To Black" today and listened to it front to back. Such a good album - songwriting, singing, musicianship, and especially arranging and production. Deserved all the Grammys it got. There are a couple of songs on it that generally don't do a lot for me, but so it goes. So it isn't perfect; it's still great. Even if she wasn't able to do more than this, she did accomplish this much in her life, which is more than a lot of people do with a lot more time.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

she did accomplish this much in her life, which is more than a lot of people do with a lot more time.
    Well said , JB
    Jim Richmond

Blog Entries

Life is a tough gig. Some play a short set.
    She sure could sing. No doubt about that.
    May she find song and peace.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I wasn't real familar with her songs, watched the Rehab video. It is still a waste to see talent burn themselves out. My generation watched, Jimi, Janis, Morrison and other burn out too soon. My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Life is a tough gig. Some play a short set.
    perfectly said.

And this has what to do with mandolins....?
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Nothing.
    Just a shame to see someone with talent go down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    This has to do with music, mandolins produce music, ergo this is an appropriate topic. Do you have a comment? A positive one perhaps? Full of compassion, hope and caring?

I knew you did!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Nothing.
    Just a shame to see someone with talent go down that road.
    It is a shame and it's sad to see anyone go down that road. I never knew that much about her but every time I heard of her problems, I always felt bad for the torment she had to be going through. I'm hope she is finding rest now.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    This has to do with music, mandolins produce music, ergo this is an appropriate topic. Do you have a comment? A positive one perhaps? Full of compassion, hope and caring?

I knew you did!
    Thanks man. This is about life , death, music and human suffering. Something we all know something about...or will
    Barry

Barry, sure man.

Death is something we will all share in; it the great commonality that binds us. No need to rush towards it when it coming for you regardless. Her story is far, far to common. I have walked in her footsteps a bit, and it is neither fun nor funny. However, it is often deadly.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Not that unusual, just more spectacular - many go down that road, but few get to do it in front of cameras.
    Fame does not help, we all know that. But when even music does not help, that's when we should start to worry.

Playing the mandolin and feeling how it helps - that's your everyday indispensable sanity check. Not for your brain but for your soul (infinitely more important).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

don't want to be alive
    at twenty-five
    want to be in heaven
    at twenty-seven
    with never some time
    for peace of mind

i heard her once or twice - snippets, really - but she sure did get her name in the papers - i'm pretty sure that's what she was all about

Blog Entries

I agree with some who said I did not expect this string here -- but compassion should be at home anywhere I think. As I noted before you have to feel for the family -- I'm sure they had many happy times before she became addicted.

On the other hand it is also a fact that other great talents went away long "before their time" as well -- and many were innocent of facilitating their demise -- just unlucky.

Buddy Holly could have been one of the greatest ever in rock and roll and blues and country -- he did nothing "wrong" that should have lead to his death and he was not yet 23 years old! With him went Richie Valens, and J P Richardson -- also young and also with great talent. (yes the choice of getting in to a small plane in that kind of weather was not a great one but that was 1959).

Then only a year later Johnny Horton (certainly on his way to stardom -- great songwriter and singer) still in his early 30's was killed by a drunk driver (coming back from a gig at the same bar Hank Williams last played and, at the time, married to Hank's widow) -- Johnny was sober.

How old was Charlie Derrington? Another huge talent killed by a drunk (one who did not even belong here) -- he did nothing to deserve it did he?

So yes it is sad for Whitehouse, Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison -- but much of their demise it seems was by their own hands....in part at least.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

All the talk online and in the press about the '27 club' (i.e. famous people who died at the age of 27) is missing the point. The thing many of these people had in common was an untreated addiction (or, at least, unsuccessfully treated), their age is no more than a sad coincidence.

Is it harder to sympathize when someone dies of largely self-created means? Of course. Because it's harder to sympathize it doesn't mean we shouldn't though. The right thing to do isn't always the easy one. Addiction and depression are terrible and highly complex problems. God knows how self-destructive I'd have been in my 20s if I'd had success, money and people encouraging me to misbehave - luckily I had none of those things, then or now

So, a sad end to a troubled life. Sadder because the person in question was famous? No. Relevant to more people? Definitely.

People die of addiction-related problems every day (if that was indeed the issue here, there still hasn't been any official announcement). Should we sympathize? Definitely - especially with the friends and family who are often the ones dealing with the issues day in day out and are ultimately left with the grief.

Matt