Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Ellis Mandolins

Default Tom Ellis Mandolins

I notice that Mr Ellis employs several luthiers in his shop. Does he build his mandolins himself or are some built by other employees under his guidance?

Default Re: Tom Ellis Mandolins

Tom stops by here from time to time and might come along and give you the breakdown of how his shop is run, but he also runs Precision Pearl Inc., he has quite a lot of machinery including numerous (I assume) CNC mills for cutting pearl inlay and for making mandolins. The usual multi-luthier shop is set up so that each individual specializes, to one degree or another, and nobody actually builds instruments start to finish. My guess is, Tom spends most of his time on the phone tracking down parts to maintain and repair equipment, talking to customers, and just running the business. His mandolin business is very automated, with machines doing much of the work.

being an Ellis dealer i remember Tom telling me if i remember correctly ,he still carves all the top and backs,other work such as binding ,and finish is completed by someone in the shop, that is there specialty,Ellis are great sounding mandolins and the workmanship is second to none.
    Danny Clark

The CNC machines do the majority of the plate carving, Tom probably just does the graduations. Things are always subject to change, but last I knew, the finish work was done out of house by a former employee working on contract.

Tom Ellis has certainly figured something out, that's for sure. However he produces such beautiful looking and sounding mandos is perfectly fine with me. If he does everything or very little, it doesn't particularly matter to me. I'm paying for the the finished instrument, not necessarily how it got there. If Tom is the best plate carver in the shop, I would like him to do that part. If someone else is a finishing savant, let that person do it. As long as no one get s bored and the quality slips, let folks specialize and really get good at certain aspects.

Whew, they certainly are real nice nice right now.

Yankees1, if the Ellis' sound better than a Northfield, they certaianly cost more, too! But are they worth it? Only you know that for sure.
    Last edited by dcoventry; Jul-23-2011 at 9:52am. Reason: cross post info
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

When I visited Tom's shop in November, he introduced me to his right-hand man, who pretty much was the CNC wizard. The only other folks I met that day were the staff in the office and one person who was sorting inlays for PPI. When Tom sees this thread, I suspect that he'll weigh in.
    Last edited by Dan Margolis; Jul-23-2011 at 12:04pm.

"if the Ellis' sound better than a Northfield, they certaianly cost more." Tom Ellis is a first rate musician who has an established reputation for building great mandolins since the mid 70s.....Northfield seems to be the current flavour of the day. I'll leave out the chasm of economics between a three person small shop in Texas and builds in China.

Dan....When I was there I visited with Tom during the Collings Gathering as well & I did meet Pava with whom Tom builds. As mentioned above, it's a team effort.

"Yankees1, if the Ellis' sound better than a Northfield, they certaianly cost more, too! But are they worth it? Only you know that for sure. ""

I wrote this as a cross post as Yank had asked about the comparison the Northfield thread, And they are a bit apples and oranges for comparison.

""Tom Ellis is a first rate musician who has an established reputation for building great mandolins since the mid 70s.....Northfield seems to be the current flavour of the day. I'll leave out the chasm of economics between a three person small shop in Texas and builds in China.""

Doc,

Well of course. I have nothing but respect and awe for the Ellis mandos. You had a hint of miffed in your post, and I wanted just wanted to clear up I was only answering Yanks inquiry.

And I still think it's true that for most folks, something is only worth what they are willing to pay for it. I don't have a problem paying up for nice things at all, but it's my definition of nice. Ellis' fit my version of nice and worthwhile. For sure.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

DC,....not miffed.....I just find the comparison to be apples & oranges. All good :-)

Both Northfield and Ellis mandolins sound better than apples or oranges.

11. The following members say thank you to Dan Margolis for this post:

I think the earlier posts are all accurate. Briefly, my idea that I came up with starting about 7 yrs ago, was that I could build the ultimate mandolin by doing it in a way that no one else ever had done. More or less, the 2 common ways are handbuilding or set up a factory. Both methods have SERIOUS FLAWS when it comes to F5 mandolins. No need to elaborate much on that, too many hours in the mandolin, or made quickly by people who are talented but not masters. It was my idea to combine the best of both and avoid the worst of both. At the time I had about 25 yrs experience with both methods, to be able set this up. The main requirement for my system and the thing that makes it work is that I have the 3 best people in the world working with me. Pava Knezevich is the best mandolin maker in the world and has assembled, bound and shaped all of them as well as building the Collings MF-5's #60-#120, before coming to work for me. Nathan Arrison does all the programming and jig making and engineering issues and machine servicing. Nate is also intimately familiar with instruments even though he doesn't actually participate in the building. He developed all the CNC systems for Collings 15 yrs ago and developed the original Collings A model manufacturing system. The varnish finishes are done by Josh Luttrell in Missouri (though he used to be just down the street). No one can do the lovely yet organic finish that Josh can, no one. What I do is about what John said, talk on the phone. I don't participate in the pearl business much (but for you waiting on logo designs, they're almost done, you know who you are) On the mandolins, I do all the top and back graduations and fit and install and carve the tone bars. After Pava is done with rough sanding the binding down and setting the neck, she and I then both do final shaping of the neck and sanding for finish. When they get back from Josh all polished 4 weeks later, I do all final setup fretjob, make nut bridge, etc. We build 1 mandolin a week. We are ahead of schedule by 3 mandolins right now, but I'm going to the Oshkosh Air show this week and won't be getting anything done for a while. Pava will assemble 2 mandolins while I'm gone. The point is that I have the most advanced CNC mandolin system that there is, but it still only makes parts (real nice parts, I might add). The key is to have the 4 best people in the world turning those parts into fine mandolins. These people are not just working a job. There is no turnover and cannot be. Each is critical to sucess and they know it (and are genuinely well compensated). I'm not and have never been a horn tooter but I 've got to admit I know a heck of a lot about mandolins. Thanks for all the support. Hey, I got a new mandolin too. Its 2 days old and has custom Whooping Crane inlays and a Pernambuco bridge. Here's some quick snaps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellis 250 br.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	74726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellis 250 b1.jpg 
Views:	1438 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	74727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellis 250 ph1.jpg 
Views:	1040 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	74728
    Last edited by ellisppi; Jul-23-2011 at 3:24pm.
    Tom H. Ellis
    Ellis Mandolins
    Austin, TX
    http://www.ellismandolins.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ellisppi For This Useful Post:

Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to chime in with some info. I have had the oppurtunity to play a few of your mandos, and that was a gift. I'm certainly saving my pennies to get one, for sure. I think they are worth every dollar, at least to me, and that's what's important.

The one in the pictures is STUNNING. Your finish guy is monumentally talented! Just Wow! What you said about his talents is right on. Actually, the past few posts and pics here of your instruments have had just beautifully organic looking finishes that really compliment the wood. It's important to get the most out of working WITH the wood rather than over powering it, I'd think.

Oh, and BTW, jeez man, your stash of wood for building is just killer...drool worthy...and you honor it in a great way. Kudos all around.

Thanks again for your time and service to these instruments we love.

Dave Coventry
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

Hey, I got a new mandolin too. Its 2 days old and has custom Whooping Crane inlays and a Pernambuco bridge. Here's some quick snaps.
    Wow...

That's some stunningly beautiful work right there. The inlay is very Zen. I second the Wow...
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Cool, Pava built my Collings (MF5, #101)!

Tom - I've been an admirer of your work waaaaay before i ever came to play Mandolin,ever since the old 'Frets' magazine did the article on Ellis Mandolins & Ricky Skaggs. In all things,with me,i simply admire the quality of build & the skill of the craftsman,whether its a piece of wooden furniture or a Mandolin,Guitar or whatever. There are many great builders these days,but i'd have to place you in my top 3,the quality of your instruments just oooozes out - totally awesome !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

That Crane inlay is amazing. Wow.
    Ellis F5 Deluxe #130
    Member of the Bluegrass Regulators
    http://dancrary.com/

Love the crane!

Can't give too much praise to Tom E and the work his shop turns out. If you ever are in Austin don't miss a chance to take a guided tour.
    The crane inlay reminds me again how I have never seen mop used with such artistry taking full advantage of the graduations of tone etc. The inlays are just the perfect final touch to his exquisite instruments. I also hope to own one someday.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

[QUOTE=ellisppi;949918]I think the earlier posts are all accurate. Briefly, my idea that I came up with starting about 7 yrs ago, was that I could build the ultimate mandolin by doing it in a way that no one else ever had done. More or less, the 2 common ways are handbuilding or set up a factory. Both methods have SERIOUS FLAWS when it comes to F5 mandolins. No need to elaborate much on that, too many hours in the mandolin, or made quickly by people who are talented but not masters. It was my idea to combine the best of both and avoid the worst of both. At the time I had about 25 yrs experience with both methods, to be able set this up. The main requirement for my system and the thing that makes it work is that I have the 3 best people in the world working with me. Pava Knezevich is the best mandolin maker in the world and has assembled, bound and shaped all of them as well as building the Collings MF-5's #60-#120, before coming to work for me. Nathan Arrison does all the programming and jig making and engineering issues and machine servicing. Nate is also intimately familiar with instruments even though he doesn't actually participate in the building. He developed all the CNC systems for Collings 15 yrs ago and developed the original Collings A model manufacturing system. The varnish finishes are done by Josh Luttrell in Missouri (though he used to be just down the street). No one can do the lovely yet organic finish that Josh can, no one. What I do is about what John said, talk on the phone. I don't participate in the pearl business much (but for you waiting on logo designs, they're almost done, you know who you are) On the mandolins, I do all the top and back graduations and fit and install and carve the tone bars. After Pava is done with rough sanding the binding down and setting the neck, she and I then both do final shaping of the neck and sanding for finish. When they get back from Josh all polished 4 weeks later, I do all final setup fretjob, make nut bridge, etc. We build 1 mandolin a week. We are ahead of schedule by 3 mandolins right now, but I'm going to the Oshkosh Air show this week and won't be getting anything done for a while. Pava will assemble 2 mandolins while I'm gone. The point is that I have the most advanced CNC mandolin system that there is, but it still only makes parts (real nice parts, I might add). The key is to have the 4 best people in the world turning those parts into fine mandolins. These people are not just working a job. There is no turnover and cannot be. Each is critical to sucess and they know it (and are genuinely well compensated). I'm not and have never been a horn tooter but I 've got to admit I know a heck of a lot about mandolins. Thanks for all the support. Hey, I got a new mandolin too. Its 2 days old and has custom Whooping Crane inlays and a Pernambuco bridge. Here's some quick snaps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellis 250 br.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	74726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellis 250 b1.jpg 
Views:	1438 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	74727 Did the shop give you a discount??

I played this fine Ellis mandolin at IBMA and it is mind-blowing in every way! 3-dimensional wood, inlay, and tone!

There's a great video on the Fiddler's Green Website http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/ of Aubrey Haynie & Danny Bishop ripping Leather Britches (not Katie Hill as I first said) on two Ellis mandolins...
    Last edited by doc holiday; Oct-11-2011 at 8:18pm.

Not to be picky but I hear Leather Britches in the video......as for the mandos and playing......WOW! Those guys can pick and those mandos have IT. I prefer the F5 but they're both mighty fine sounding!

Gosh Shaun, Right you are. Here's a photo as penance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellis 253pt.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	386.8 KB 
ID:	77147  

My F5 Ellis is a 2008 and three years old. I have a number of outstanding instruments, but each time I pick up and play the Ellis there is a sound on the low end that stops me and I then know why I got it. I played a number of outstanding mandolins while at IBMA. But that something special sound that Tom's mandos have seems to separate them for me. He does not try to emulate the "Loar" sound. He has developed his own that has remained fairly constant over time. I went to his booth at IBMA and played all his babies. While each had an individual voicing, I could hear mine in every one. It is that sound that distinguishes his mandos and why after playing all those great builders at IBMA, I came away very satisfied with my F5.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172