Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 12-string guitar-mandolin from Gold Tone

Default New 12-string guitar-mandolin from Gold Tone

http://www.goldtone.com/products/det...+-New-for-2011

Man, I love Gold Tone. This little guy, his daddy was a mandolin and his momma was a 12-string, and I for one celebrate their love.

Default Re: New 12-string guitar-mandolin from Gold Tone

guess people will be converting these to 10 string mandolins in no time

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the information - not! I mean ... Is it safe to assume this is actually a half-length 12-string guitar and not a mandolin at all? Despite its shape, in the absence of any specs whatsoever despite materials and pickup, that is the impression I get. I have seen a few solidbody ones, but never an acoustic one before. Those looked like scaled-down guitars, and were played by guitarists in order to get a mandolin sound without having to learn to play mandolin. Pretty much the same reason I picked up a banjolin, to get a banjo sound without having to learn to play banjo. The first four courses have bronze wound strings which is what I would expect in that case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold Tone GM12.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	74511  
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

i'm assuming its the same as their 6 string model with extra strings/tuners , bigger head stock

That's an awful lot of string tension.
    Steve

Blog Entries

Actually, rico, they don't make guitars. Not per se. They are a banjo company first and foremost, though they have a section entitled "Guitar-Style." There are no wooden guitars there, but they do offer resonator and metal body six strings. I guess they would be considered a specialty instrument company.

They do offer a model called the GM-6 (GM-6 Mandolin):

The GM-6 is designed for guitarists and is tuned one octave higher than a regular guitar. It can provide the chop rhythm for bluegrass or country music without learning mandolin. A competitor offers a similar mando-guitar selling for over $2,000 and has a flat and more narrow fingerboard. The radiused fingerboard and wider neck allows for easier fingering. String action is super low and lead lines may be played very rapidly. This is a must instrument for guitarists in bluegrass jams and lends itself well in recording applications. It plays an octave above guitar.

This helps explain the body style of the GM-12. I wonder why they don't have these listed or linked in the guitar section. It is obviously a hybrid.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jul-19-2011 at 9:08am. Reason: further research

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

From the clips on Youtube, the six-string models sound surprisingly good to me.

This being Gold Tone, there's a decent chance I could get a lefty 12. I would be strongly tempted to try it as an Irish backup instrument, tuned DADGAD.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Is there any combination they haven't tried yet? Go for it, Gold Tone!

This is reminiscent of a Spanish (?) instrument that I can't call to mind. The bandurria maybe??
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

I thought of something they could try - a break-apart model that can be smashed - or look like it's been smashed - and then put back together. Useful for emulating Pete Townshend in those special situations, or for creating memorable encores. If anyone can do it, they can. I don't recall ever seeing such a diverse catalog from a builder.

Yeah, they're really something. They had ( or have) every kind of banjo covered...from ukes on up. Some of their stuff is pretty good -- moderately-priced Whyte Laydie tone rings, good cases, etc..

Re "guitar" mandos: I acquired a Dean "Mondo" for cheap -- converted it to a 9-string dola, and is one of the one's I've kept.

There are wooden guitars there.
    Baritone, tenor, resonator and Weissenborn.
    I have a TG-18 and it's a good instrument with nice volume and tone.

Blog Entries

I meant a regular guitar, 6-string or 12-string, dreadnought style or similar. Sorry, forgot how goshdarned specific one has to be around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post

This is reminiscent of a Spanish (?) instrument that I can't call to mind. The bandurria maybe??
    My thought as well..Bandurria...Laud...cross...requiering exotic tuning and hours and hours of fingering study...fun!

Another Gold Tone fan here. I have three of their instruments: a Banjola, which is a mandola body with a 5-string banjo neck; a Marcy Marxer signature cello banjo; and a Cripple Creek Mini travel banjo. All are quite decently made, reasonably priced, and specifically designed for a particular clientele that no other larger-scale maker is servicing. I understand that some Cafe posters have experienced problems with Gold Tone octave mandolins and bouzoukis, but my experience has been consistently good.

If you want to buy a new ukulele-banjo, mandolin-banjo, cello banjo (either 5- or 4-string), short-scale "Irish tenor" banjo, reasonably priced 6- or 12-string octave guitar/mandolin, or other specialty instrument, there's not another company making them, of which I'm aware. It's pretty commendable that Gold Tone's willing to tool up to make types of instrument, that probably will only sell in the hundreds world-wide. Not saying that they're top-grade instruments, but the ones I've played have been very competently designed, built and finished.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

guess i could tune the 12 strings like this - cc gg dd aaa eee with a new bridge and nut

Blog Entries

You could do that, indeed. It might help balance the volume differences between the wound and unwound strings. You might even find you have invented a new instrument; call it the quinella or some such.

It is the idea that will not die.

I guess this proves ALL guitarists secretly wish they were mandolin players.. If only for a song or two.

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723
    I've seen something they call a "Dojo" in the FQMS catalog. Here it is on the Gold Tone website. It's a cross between a Banjo and a resonator guitar. Sounds dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother
    I guess this proves ALL guitarists secretly wish they were mandolin players.. If only for a song or two.
    Back when I used to have a Guild 12-string, I enjoyed the somewhat mandolin-like tone I got when capo'd up at the 5th fret (or higher, which admittedly was somewhat rare, but there are a couple of Gillian Welch songs that they play up at the 7th fret). Anyway, here's the dojo. Call me crazy, but I'd love to hear it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	item-dojo-dlx-375_med.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	74538  
    Last edited by Marty Henrickson; Jul-19-2011 at 6:08pm. Reason: typo
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henrickson View Post
    I've seen something they call a "Dojo" in the FQMS catalog....a cross between a Banjo and a resonator guitar. Sounds dangerous....Call me crazy, but I'd love to hear it.
    I have one of these, built by Dobro back in the 1980's, I believe. Oddity about it -- it has a "biscuit" bridge that sits right on a convex resonator cone, like a National guitar, rather than a "spider" bridge and concave cone, like a Dobro resonator instrument. As a result, it has a more "barky" sound than one would expect from a Dobro -- sounds like a five-string National!

My friend Bernie Stolls, whom I met at Pinewoods Camp, really liked the sound, and has had Scheerhorn build him a custom "five-string 'Dobro.'" He records and performs with it; here's some bio from Folk Music Society of Huntington (2005).
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

When I was totally banjo crazy, I was BAS-ing for one of those. Never acquired one--as I already had about a dozen 5-strings at the time. But for those who don't play guitar, yeah sure...gotta have some resonators too. Allen, you play guitar--I presume you have a reso guitar or three. Do you use this much? Bottleneck on 5-string can sound pretty cool--and a natural as we typically "open"-tune them banjers.

Hope it cools down for ya out there. I heard OK has been triple-digits for a month. Ugh!

That thing looks like much fun.

Assuming you wear protective gear in case the strings break. A chain stringbreak reaction on that would be catastrophic.

I like the octaved stringing idea for the instrument... makes it totally useful as a different sound from a mandolin or bandurria, both of which are cool for different reasons.

I've heard that every instrument idea you can imagine has been tried. Probably not true, but I've been suprised a bunch of times at things that were done (usually a long time ago) that I would've sworn never had been ! Keep those brain cells workin'

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henrickson View Post
    Anyway, here's the dojo. Call me crazy, but I'd love to hear it.
    http://youtu.be/IGBJNAd5Wos

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
    Yeah, good point, I should've searched the 'tube sooner. That's a much mellower tone than I expected, but that's due (at least in part) to being plugged-in, I'm thinking. Here's another video I found of "No Place Like Home" that seems to be unplugged. Closer to what I expected the tone to be, but not nearly as obnoxious as I thought. This guy can pick:
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson