Thread: Newbie looking for first mandolin

Default Newbie looking for first mandolin

I've read a lot on this website and the consensus seems to be save your money and buy something better...but. I am limited to about $300 - 400 at the current time and looking to buy new or used. I would prefer an f style but from what I understand there are a lot of A's that sound a lot better than any F in the price range that I am looking at, but dunno? What should I be looking for?
    FYI. I have been playing for about three months. No previous musical or instrument experience.
    Current mandolin is a borrowed Ephiphone mm50 f

Thanks all

Default Re: Newbie looking for first mandolin

KM 505 in classifieds right now at the top of your price range. NFI
    Jim Richmond

i'd go with a kentucky A style.

i'm a newbie like yourself and was able to purchase an eastman 505 that was a year old. the gentleman i bought it from was sooooooo generous. the mando came with a planet waves micro tuner, an assortment of picks, a strap, and case for $400 delivered. all i did was post a want to buy in the classifieds. as long as i don't fall into MAS, this should serve me well for some time.

also, this is my first post and i want to say howdy to everyone here at the cafe. this is my new hangout on the web.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hobbspal View Post
    also, this is my first post and i want to say howdy to everyone here at the cafe. this is my new hangout on the web.
    Welcome.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

but. I am limited to about $300 - 400 at the current time and looking to buy new or used.
    $300-$400 is plenty for a nice, new A-style. For a nice F-style you will be looking at used instruments, or something purchased with little or no setup done. Not to say that the used version would be setup well. It may or may not be. The short list is Eastman, Kentucky or The Loar. You should be safe with just about any model from these brands. Others are hit and miss.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Love my Eastman MD 305. Its an A style with f holes. Bought used for about 350. Spent another 50 for set up.

hobbspal, you did get a great deal you lucky dog. I'm a relative newbie too, but want to welcome you and jakerax to a great cafe anyway,whether I deserve to or not.

I've learned loads from these nice mandoheads !

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe! Go with an A style that comes well set up by a good vendor. That's the most important part.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

1. A-style makes the most sense in that price range.

2. What you should be looking for is solid woods, carved top (probably machine-carved for that price, but a used hand-carved is possible), a good recognized brand such as Eastman, Loar, Kentucky, or Rover, and (if you're getting it from a dealer), a "shop set-up" rather than a "box transfer" (out of the box from China, into the box to be shipped to you).

What's even better, is if you can buy from a dealer (or an individual) in your area, where you'll get a chance to play the instrument before you buy it. Don't know what the choice of dealers is where you live, but I'm a firm believer in hands-on purchasing, and supporting local stores.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

hobbspal, you did get a great deal you lucky dog. I'm a relative newbie too, but want to welcome you and jakerax to a great cafe anyway,whether I deserve to or not.

I've learned loads from these nice mandoheads !
    Also I f orgot to mention that my 505 was originally purchased at the mandolin store and was set up by Dennis.