Thread: Advice on Strings

Default Advice on Strings

I just got a new Washburn and am not happy with the strings it came with. (I'm not sure what kind it is that it came with)
    I am new to Mandolins in general and really have no idea what would be good in the way of new strings. I'm not looking to spend too much money, but would invest in some really good strings (maybe in the $20-$25 range?)
    Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: Advice on Strings

I am now using EXP77's on my oval A and I really like them! Great tone and they last much longer than J74's.

What is it that you don't like about them? What were your expectations? Do they sound dead? I think that any meaningful advice would require much more information.

Blog Entries

D'Addario J74 are great strings to start with. They are round wound phosphor bronze sets and kind of the standard. GHS Silk and Steel and Silk and Bronze are a little bit different. All of those should be in the $5 per set range. Flatwound strings are a different animal together. Darker and warmer with more fundamental tone and fewer overtones. Some say they are quieter. The Jazzmando JM11s are ~$15 a set as are the D'Addario FW74s. Whiile more expensive they have much greater longevity so it evens out. I'm not a big fan of the coated strings like the Elixers but others really like them. Changing strings and plectrums is an inexpensive way to significantly alter your sound (short of getting a new instrument ).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I think most people try all sorts of different strings over the years. Some settle on one type. Some never do. Experiment. Leave them on until they go dead. Get a feel for them at all stages of wear. But keep in mind that unless you are recording it really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. IMHO. But it is fun to talk about and try different things.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Registered User Vincent Capostagno's Avatar

When I first got my mandolin I thought my strings sounded terrible. Then my teacher played my instrument and they sounded wounderful! Technique accounts for 90% of the sound. The rest is fine tuning. Based on my journey over the last two years, I would reccomend the following approach.

1-Change your strings to J74's or EXP 74's. They're inexpensive and a good reference standard. Later on you can decide if you want to go brighter (monel) or warmer (JM11) or somewhere in between.

2-Get some inexpensive picks. Not too thick, not too thin. Not too sharp, not too round. They all have their place but better serve those who have their style and technique down. 1.0 to 1.5 should do for you. Forget the material. Pick the tip (slightly rounded). I tried various materials but one day found myself with 3 different Wegen's. all 1.0 mm and they all sounded different in my hands. It was the way the shapes stayed on/came off the strings.

3-If you want your playing to sound sweet, PLAY IN THE SWEET SPOT. Higher for a muted sound, lower for a more aggressive sound.

4-For everything above to work, you need to get the tension out of your hands. Practice for 1/2 hr. Stop for 10-15 minutes and get rid of the body and finger tension. Practice another 1/2 hr. Quit. It will all come together in due time.

Forgive me if I am misinterpreting what I'm reading between the lines....I'm pretty new to mandolin too (old to guitar)....you say you have a Washburn....where did you get it, or more importantly did it have a professional setup done? I ask because I almost bought a Washburn from Guitar Center before I learned how important a setup was and ended up getting my Kentucky from a mandolin-specific source.

Also I have not seen anyone mention....I haven't even done this yet myself, but the wisdom is to change strings one at a time so as not to let the floating bridge move from its (hopefully professionally set) spot.
    The Loar LM500
    Trinity College Octave
    Taylor 114ce
    Martin D12X1AE 12-string
    1980 Ovation Grand Balladeer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Piles O' Pennywhistles/Low Whistle