Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Strap

Default Mandolin Strap

What do you find to be a comfortable strap? Any particular features?

Default Re: Mandolin Strap

I personally like a thin round braided strap over one shoulder and prefer kangaroo hide. There are lots of straps, and just like any other accessory, everyone seems to have a favorite that works for them.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

On my Godin I use a regular black nylon strap because of it being so heavy. Also added strap locks. Just feel a lot safer. Round braided leather on the Weber, just for the traditional look. ( I also put on the little plastic thingy from a bread bag to keep the strap from coming off the end pin on the Weber. No more fingernail scratches from trying to catch it when the strap randomly decided to turn loose. Another Cafe poster's trick )

Oh! And welcome to the Cafe.

I am also looking for a strap. I think I am looking for 1) safety 2) adjustability 3) comfort pretty much in that order...

I'm a fan of either the Bailey straps or Randy Hogan's straps. I like straps that are secure (ones where the hole for the endpin doesn't stretch to the point where it just falls off, and ones that don't slip around a lot on your shoulder. I tend to like quite a short strap as well so I like being able to custom order the length of my strap - off the shelf ones are generally always to long for my liking.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

6. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Has anyone tried the straps by Alan Gelman? They also look very nice and I am considering one of them (along with the Bailey and a few others)

I believe these are the straps by Alan Gelman here:

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail...ssory_key=1158

My very favourite strap is the first one i had made by John Brown from Miami,Fl. It's extra wide & spreads the weight so well that you hardly feel that you're wearing it. Wide straps aren't everybody's cup of tea,but i've not used a more comfortable or secure one,
    Ivan Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lebeda Premium Plus.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	74217
    www.jbguitarstraps.com/
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I recently picked up a Kentucky 180S (from the 1980's) that I traded for and want to learn to play. I've been foraging through the forums here reading as much info as I can. I also do custom leathercraft work and want to make my own strap, thus wondering what folks find comfortable. I've not done any braiding work, but believe it's something I can learn.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Here's my favorite strap; one that I braided from a strip of buffalo leather. Easy to do, looks good to me, feels good and doesn't slip.

My second favorite is the dual round-flat braided Randy Hogan straps. NFI (pic from his website)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loop-Front-long.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	74219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	round-flat-strap.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	74218  
    Last edited by Phil Goodson; Jul-10-2011 at 8:11am. Reason: clarification
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I've been completely happy with my Bailey strap.

My favorite is a custom strap by Randy King. http://www.freewebs.com/strapman/

He makes many styles but the one he made for me was braided two-tone with a narrow but comfortable shoulder strap woven right in. You can see my strap (made of deerhide with a strip of embossed cowhide to dress up the shoulder pad) pictured in the gallery.
    It is secure, but the best way to be really sure is to run a strip of rawhide through the nearest end adjustment hole and loop it around the tailpiece and tie it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    ...snip...I like straps that are secure (ones where the hole for the endpin doesn't stretch to the point where it just falls off...
    Cheers,
    Jill
    I really like my Lakota Leathers flat braided strap, but it has this very problem. Fortunately, since I use the very first hole to attach the strap (making it as short as possible) I am able to loop the "tail" of the strap around and attach it a second time to the end pin. This makes the strap much more secure.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post

My second favorite is the dual round-flat braided Randy Hogan straps. NFI (pic from his website)
    That's the one I have as well and I think it's just about my favourite strap hands down!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Well - i am a beginner - but I tried all sorts to get something comfy - and finally tied an old scarf to each end with a shoe lace. Its light, can be pulled out wide to spread the weight, easy to adjust, no buckles to catch the mando and if it gets shut in the case it doesn't matter. Easy and cheap to replace/change. I am v happy with this arrangement and personally happy with the look. maybe a bit of a female look for a chap though.

Mix A5 came with a strap button and a button/jack.. I tied a cord between the 2.
    a knot and loop on each end.
    A long one, ran a loop thru a spring cord lock, so It's adjustable in length ..

Y'all can spend $20 on a strap if it makes you happier.
    certainly make the seller happy.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

So...I am still in learning mode, having taken up the mandolin this spring. I am looking to buy straps for me and for my son. Two strap-related basic questions:

1) I see the button at the bottom of the body on my A-shaped mandolin. Where do you attach the other end, since I don't have an F scroll to attach it to? In other words, do I need to buy a particular type of strap for our A style mandos, or will any type do?

2) How do you tell how long a strap you need? I will likely be able to use a standard one, but my son is nine years old and will need a shorter one.

Thanks, all. BTW, the Mandolin Cafe is a terrific web community. I have been really enjoying reading and learning, and I appreciate everyone's passion for this wonderful instrument and its music. Does cut down on the time available to practice, though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMomma View Post
    I see the button at the bottom of the body on my A-shaped mandolin. Where do you attach the other end, since I don't have an F scroll to attach it to? In other words, do I need to buy a particular type of strap for our A style mandos, or will any type do?
    All you need is a strap button, a buck or two at your local music shop. Here's an excellent article on where to place it, but my best advice is put it on the treble side of the heel. Drill a little hole, screw it in.

Not everybody likes strap buttons around the heel area on an A...
    Other options are to have a loop around that area, under the raised section of the fingerboard (assuming it has one) or a loop across the headstock, some people put this under the strings between the nut and tuners, others place it back between tuners. Trial and error is probably the best way to figure out the specifics here, to see what angle suits your mando and playing position.

Contact any of the strap makers here they'll be able to supply an appropriate loop to suit, and suggest some lengths based on your height, preferred playing position etc.
    Otherwise, improvise. A friend of mine has used a woven belt from Mexico - it looks and feels good and gives some function to a souvenier which would otherwise probably remain stowed away.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I use only Lakota round braided elk leather straps on my mandolins. Most comfortable straps that I've ever used on any instruments. Highly recommend them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4518..jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	74250  

For mandomom, a boot lace, works fine, with an A style either loop,
    around the head stock between the tuners,
    or have the loop go around the body just under the fingerboard ,
    many previous citations of this..
    advantage of the Boot lace is, you tie the loop , if it doesn't feel right,
    re tie the knot in a different place..

Since you and your son each have a mandolin, the pair of bootlaces divides easily ..

After a while, once you have found the right length of strap by using the boot lace,
    then you will know how long the next snazzy looking strap needs to be
    Last edited by mandroid; Jul-11-2011 at 1:08pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have sent 2 emails to the address on his website but both came back as undeliverable. Wrong email address?? I then tried with zeros after his name and when that came back I tried the letter o. Any suggestions? Thanks Calmdigger

Sorry. I meant to put Randy Hogan as the undeliverable email recipient above. As my wife always says"please pay attention to what you are doing". Clamdigger

Ended up making one. I'll post a couple of pics soon.

Here's a couple of pictures of the strap I made for myself. It's made from top grade leather with suede lining. The main strap is 1" wide. Shoulder pad is padded and slides along the strap for placement. The length of the strap adjusts with the buckle towards the back end. The buckle sits atop the strap in order to prevent it from contacting the mandolin itself.

Blog Entries

Man that's a nice strap you made. Great job!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters