Thread: Kent 744

Default Kent 744

Bought a Kent mandolin, or is it a mandola? Looks just like the 744 on the www.emando.com site. Should I tune it like a mandola? Strings?
    Johneeaaddgg

Default Re: Kent 744

Which color did you get? What's the scale length?

Blondie was my Kent 744 ... scale length was pretty close to 16 inches. I assembled the Emando.com Ultralight string sets for Blondie and other instruments of that ilk. You can tune those strings up to GDAE on a 744, but it's kind of like playing a cheese slicer. I wouldn't try it with anything heavier ... you'll just break a lot of E strings. Mandola tuning would be easier on your fingertips.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

It is a sunburst - looks just like the one on the left at Emando.com. The other colours are cool too, but I like the sunburst. Scale is indeed about 16" so I was definitely thinking mandola tuning. Suggestions on strings?
    Johneeaaddgg

Blog Entries

Regular mandolin strings. Then tune it (low to high) E B F# C#. Very cool middle spot between mandolin and mandola. Easy to play in "guitar" keys like E and A. Capo 3rd fret and you're tuned GDAE.

Daniel

Hey - I am new to this site and forum, as I have only recently converted to mandolin. I have also recently picked up an old Kent 744 in cherry. Does anyone know for sure what years these were made?

It was only barely playable when I got it and I had to have quite a bit of work done. I put nickel electric guitar strings on it (needs ball ends due to the tailpiece design, not the loops of mando strings) .040w .026w .015 .011 tuned to regular GDAE. It now plays great - good action and intonation. I might try tuning it down to that EBF#C# - could be interesting, but not sure if my brain will work to transpose chords, etc. in my head.

retroman, what's the scale length on your cherry 744?

I can't believe your .011s aren't either breaking or slicing your fingertips to meatloaf.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Scale length is 15.75", which I believe is a bit less than a standard mandola. I got string gauges to match my acoustic mandolin, not really knowing any better, and they are just fine.....

I believe the 744 was available mid-'60s to early '70s.

Here is a nice clean NOS blond 744 ... may be the nicest one I've ever beheld.

Finally got around to taking a photo, now let's see if I can figure out how to post it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	74947  
    Johneeaaddgg

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I believe the 744 was available mid-'60s to early '70s.

Here is a nice clean NOS blond 744 ... may be the nicest one I've ever beheld.

If I didn't already have one I'd be all over that.

Nice looking blonde 744. I'm confused - does it come with a border collie? By the way, of all the instruments cluttering my home, my wife thinks my new cherry 744 is the best looking....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4524.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	74954

I am looking for a solid-body electric mandolin to use for quiet practice around my cat (who has no love of mandolins; I should look for that border collie). There is a Kent available via the Toronto web market, but it has a huge asking price, I think -- $600+ Can anyone comment on either/ or the playability of the Kent or its current value.

My first post here, by the way. Thanks, Al

I think $600 is too much, and the scale length makes them difficult to play in standard tuning.

there are a couple good deals here for a mando http://www.emando.com/shop/sales.htm NFI .

Well, it appears that I an offer of less than $400 will be considered for the Kent as it needs (at least) cleaning of its electronics, and it does not have a case. Comments here about scale length have me concerned and curious now; all my other mando's come in at about 14". I already have enough trouble playing already; the added scale length starts to seem an unwanted frustration. As I mentioned above, my cat already provides enough external stress to my noodling efforts!

It appears that most electric mandolins are either 4 or 5-string rather than 8 (which seem to be cheaper). I played a 4-string but thought that it was too rough on my fingers and not mandolin enough. That was a few years ago. Perhaps I should re-evaluate as there are some beautiful 5-strings it seems. Would I be happy with something like the Eastwood Mandocaster when instruments such as the Weber or JBovier are available?

Alfactor -Take any acoustic mandolin and stuff it with paper towel . put some tape over the sound holes . it can have a pick -up installed if your looking for headphone operation . also cuts down on feedback on stag . if you get creative you could make a fancy f-hole plug similar to guitar hole plugs .

Quote Originally Posted by Alfactor View Post
    Well, it appears that I an offer of less than $400 will be considered for the Kent as it needs (at least) cleaning of its electronics, and it does not have a case. Comments here about scale length have me concerned and curious ...
    It sounds like you're not able to try the Kent before you buy. I really do like the 744, but I must admit I don't find it as easy to play as some other electrics.
    It appears that most electric mandolins are either 4 or 5-string rather than 8 (which seem to be cheaper). I played a 4-string but thought that it was too rough on my fingers and not mandolin enough. That was a few years ago. Perhaps I should re-evaluate as there are some beautiful 5-strings it seems. Would I be happy with something like the Eastwood Mandocaster when instruments such as the Weber or JBovier are available?
    Well, there are pricier 8-strings to be had, too ... take a look at the McCormick currently in the Classifieds. I think you could in fact be happy with an Eastwood Mandocaster as an 8-string, knowing that it's a different animal from the single-course instruments like the JBovier.

I like this Kent, but I paid a LOT less than Alfactor is talking about. At $600, if quiet, 8-strings, and electric are the criteria, I would probably buy a Godin. You should be able to find one of those for $500-600.
    Johneeaaddgg

Quote Originally Posted by John L View Post
    At $600, if quiet, 8-strings, and electric are the criteria, I would probably buy a Godin. You should be able to find one of those for $500-600.
    But the Godin is not really quiet. Granted they don't have enough volume to compete with other instruments unplugged, but they do make a lot of noise...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    But the Godin is not really quiet.
    I did own a Godin for a while. It is a nice feeling instrument, but it definitely still made enough sound to irritate my less-than-appreciative audience. Plugged in, I found that it just didn't make the difference I was hoping for when I jam with my guitar-wielding buddies.

"I think you could in fact be happy with an Eastwood Mandocaster as an 8-string" ... this may be my direction, mrmando, unless I can convince the seller to accept a drastically reduced price for the Kent. The Eastwood's may have their issues, but they are relatively inexpensive. AND finding one of these might be less challenging than adapting my acoustic according to Rico's instructions! :-)