Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down You Tube video?

Default Re: Slowing down You Tube video?

OK. So I had looked on Safari on my Mac at home and saw those setting for speed reduction. However, now I am back at work on my PC and i no longer see them on the video you posted above. I also checked on the youtube site and in both Firefox and Internet Explorer and it is not there that I can see. Oh well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hello Chris, thanks so much for this solution. I installed flyto.com, successfully converted two tunes to MP3 from YouTube. I bookmarked the converter URL and pinned it to the taskbar. Just went the Amazing Slowdowner, got the pitch and speed okay, but....it jumps all around, and won't play the whole tune. All the other MP3s I have an Amazing Slowdowner work fine. Have you ever had that problem? Any suggestions? Thanks a whole bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    couple of ways, but might require more than one step...

There are sites that can turn a YT vid into an MP3 file... http://flvto.com/ is the best one I've found... Then you can use something called Amazing Slowdowner to change pitch/speed. Great app. http://www.ronimusic.com/ That's what I do, anyway.

Others have used Audacity to do both processes. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ I've used Audacity to break up big MP3's into smaller files (to separate individual tracks from a jam or rehearsal or performance), as well as to import music from analog sources (tape or LP), but I've never used it for YouTube conversion or slowing down music.
    Last edited by stringalong; Sep-27-2015 at 2:56pm. Reason: I found somethings I was looking for, and encountered another issue I need an answer to...

Instructions on using Windows Media Player to slow MP3s. No other application in Windows [ie. Amazing Slowdowner] is needed:

Click on an mp3. Windows Media Player opens to play it. Don't play, but right click anywhere on the screen. Go to "enhancements" then "play speed". You can reduce the speed and maintain the pitch. Doing this doesn't change the mp3.

You can use Audacity [a free program] to edit mp3s and make files with only the solos. Here's how:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Edit-an-MP3-File

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joel Glassman For This Useful Post:

Just click on the gear and then click on either the word Speed or Normal, and it brings up a list of speed settings. No need for any other software. And don't have to leave the YouTube video so you can see hand/finger positions.

Thank you, Joel and Nashville. Joel, I was able to do exactly what Joel said, with a previous MP3 I already had (enhancements/speed) . I did not get that particular MP3 (Mountain Minuet, which is a tapdance tune, not mandolin) from YouTube. The MP3 I made from YouTube still plays jerky and starts over and over in Windows Media Player. Also, alas, since I put the link for the tune I'm trying to learn (Arkansas Traveler) into FLV, now, I cannot get any sound at all from YouTube links. No YouTube links work, as for sound. The videos work in YouTube.com. Nashville, click a gear in what program? I see no gear in Amazing Slowdowner, Windows Media Player, or FLVto.

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    ... click a gear in what program? I see no gear in Amazing Slowdowner, Windows Media Player, or FLVto.
    I'm assuming they meant the gear that appears at the bottom of videos when you're looking at a YouTube video in your web-browser.

I made a quick-n-dirty super-short tutorial of how this works, at least this is how it works in my browser (Chrome, on Windows), shows what to click to get half-speed on any YouTube video:

Half-speed is "0.5", it has audio but the slow-down process makes it warble. The pitch doesn't change though, unlike legacy/old methods.

I have not been able to get quarter-speed "0.25" audio, the video slows to quarter-speed but no sound, but it's ok because that would probably be too slow anyway (for audio). Whereas the half-speed "0.5" is adequate to figure out most riffs.

Note: If I change speeds a bunch of times in one video, say switching back and forth between half-speed and normal speed, without reloading/refreshing the page, the audio sometimes gets slightly (fraction of a second) out of sync with the video. Easily fixed - just reload/refresh the page.

If you don't get any sound at all on any of your videos even at regular speed, make sure you haven't inadventently clicked the "Mute" icon. It didn't occur to me to point out the "Mute" icon when I made the above video, but anyway the "Mute" icon is also at the bottom of YouTube videos (when you mouse over the video) but it's more towards the left side, the opposite side from where the "gear" icon is. The "Mute" icon looks like a tiny little speaker - it's muted if it has a tiny "x" next to it. You can toggle it back and forth between muted and unmuted simply by clicking on it again. At least that's how it works on our computers here.

8. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Very helpful tutorial video JL277z. I'm sure that will help people that haven't realized the YouTube videos can be slowed down just by changing the speed setting. For a long time I didn't realize it was there myself. I don't notice any loss in sound quality for those videos encoded at higher resolution but I have not been able to get audio at 1/4 speed. It would be too slow anyway as you said. Half speed has allowed me to figure out some fairly complicated phrases.

10. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5AqGS2Y2WM

Have fun! This is a great rendition.

Hi Brad. True, and I've tried it. It comes up as Speed/Normal, then I can cut it to .5 or .25 The .5 is kind of jerky, and the .25 is inaudible. Has this been your experience? I use Windows 7, by the way.

Addenda to my earlier post:

I just noticed that, at least on our computers here,* the gear slow-down method that I described in my video above, works only when the video is being played from the YouTube page. But slowing-down does not seem to be an option when viewing embedded videos that appear on MandolinCafe pages.

Easy solution to that though, clicking the YouTube icon makes the video open in a new YouTube tab and then you get all the speed options by clicking the gear. That's how it behaves for us here, I don't know about other browsers/OS's.

* We use Chrome browser, all updates current, running on a couple different versions of Windows operating systems.

My former computer tech was able to perform the transition from YouTube to Amazing Slowdowner with no third-party app. I'll see if he'll get back to me on this. Also, how do I subscribe to this thread, so I get email when a new post comes in?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Glassman View Post
    Instructions on using Windows Media Player to slow MP3s....

Click on an mp3. Windows Media Player opens to play it. Don't play, but right click anywhere on the screen. Go to "enhancements" then "play speed". You can reduce the speed and maintain the pitch. Doing this doesn't change the mp3.
    Thanks Joel! I never knew that Windows Media Player had that feature, just tested it today after reading your post, pretty handy! I'd been using Audacity for all my local (non-internet) audio slowdown but it's certainly good to have as many options as possible.

The nice thing about using Windows Media Player as you described, is that it doesn't require the installation of any 3rd-party software (such as Audacity) so I would presume that it would work on any (recent?) Windows machine... Possibly-useful scenarios might include when one is visiting friends/relatives who use Windows but who don't have any other audio apps (such as Audacity etc), and assuming one had left one's laptop at home it would still be possible to slow down their tunes on their own computer to figure out cool riffs 'n' stuff.

Good to know this stuff, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    ... how do I subscribe to this thread, so I get email when a new post comes in?
    Ok I'm certainly no expert about MandolinCafe site settings but here's what I've found... current as of September 2015 anyway, this stuff is probably subject to change with future site redesigns. Anyway, right now...

Looks like there are two different places where you can change your subscription settings:

1. For general settings that I think (not sure) apply to all posts:

• When you're logged in, at top of page, click "Settings".

• Look at the left side of the page and scroll down until you see where it says "General Settings" and click that link, wait until that page loads and then scroll down and look under the section called "Messaging & Notification" to find where it says "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and click the little arrow-dropdown menu and select one of the following:

- "Instantly, using email"
        - "Daily, using email"
        - "Weekly, using email"
        - "Through my control panel only"
        - "Do not subscribe"

• Scroll down to bottom of page and click the "Save Changes" button.

2. Now I'm not sure about this next thing but it looks like it might also be possible to individually customize specific posts, I have not tried this but I saw the page for it:

• When you're logged in, look near the top of any MandolinCafe forum page underneath the "Mandolin Cafe" logo, click "Quick Links", a dropdown menu will appear, click "Subscribed Threads" and a page will appear which seems to have checkboxes to select/deselect individual posts ? but I haven't experimented with that to see if it works.

Note: Sometimes it seems like you have to log in once every few days to keep getting further updates on posts that they've already notified you about. I vaguelly recall there's a message to that effect on the email notifications they send out, but I haven't really paid enough attention to that particular message to remember what it says.

P.S.: If someone else has a more concise and less-confused explanation I'd be pleased to see it, this is one of those things where I know what works for me but never quite sure if I'm doing it right or just stumbled onto something that works.
    Last edited by Jess L.; Sep-28-2015 at 7:58pm. Reason: Fixed typo.

I'm in a hurry and don't/won't have time to read the posts above to see whether or not this has been resolved to the OP's (and others') satisfaction. But if not, then if you open Youtube from Google Chrome, then the cog shows up, and works perfectly for speeding up or slowing down--very cool, although the slow-down/speed-up choices are limited.

That said, I am a tech ignoramus, and have no idea as to why opening Youtube from Google Chrome works on the "cog" speed function--I just know that it does. My son showed me this trick, so I cannot even take credit for stumbling across this useful little trick.

An easy way I have used for a while is to download the video, play with VLC Player. Slows tempo with out changing pitch, and if it's a half way decent quality you can watch the slowed down hands.

Forgot to mention works just as well with mp3 files.

There's a Freeware prog.called "SaveTubeVideo" which places a tool bar above your web browser. When you're watching a YouTube clip,you have the option of downloading the video clip or the MP3 with a single click.
    http://www.savetubevideo.com/
    I used to use Real Player to download youtube videos on my old Windows XP PC. After moving to Windows7 PC, this feature no longer works.
    I just tried the link for "SaveTubeViode", clicking on the "DOWNLOAD" has no effect. Nothing gets downloaded. Am I missing something ?

Flash Video Downloader works great with Firefox on intel mac and also TenFourFox on my PPC mac. It's also available for Windows not sure of sys requirements.

http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/

Happy Downloading,

Blog Entries

adding to the pile..

I've found this online site malware free for converting YT video to mp3.

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

Then loop the section you want to learn thru a slow down program.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    ... quick-n-dirty super-short tutorial... shows what to click to get half-speed on any YouTube video...
    Direct link to my above-mentioned tutorial on how to do half-speed YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttCIKAeAYw
    Posting the direct link because the page won't let me edit my original post, which had only the embedded video; at the time of this writing MandolinCafe is having issues with embedded videos on some systems. But the direct link should work regardless.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I read this thread last year, and discovered here that I could freely slow down videos at youtube, in windows media player, and in Quicktime. I was able to slow down a couple of tunes to learn by ear where written music wasn't available. While I was able to make this work, I eventually found it pretty inconvenient, and wanted a better solution that allows me to also loop sections, change keys, etc. I settled on the program Transcribe! - but I found a very cool page on their website that lists all "slow-downer" programs they're aware of. That could be a valuable resource to anyone wanting to compare programs to find the perfect one for themselves.

This page contains the list: https://www.seventhstring.com/resour...scription.html

Below, I've pasted what you will see on that page, except of course at the page, these will be links that you can follow. Below, they are just a list of topics so you can see what is offered there.

Software - desktop

AKoff Music Composer
    AmazingMIDI by Araki Software
    Amazing Slow Downer by Roni Music
    AudioLobe from JS8 Media
    AudioScore from Neuratron
    AudioSculpt sound analysis tool from IRCAM
    BestPractice by Robert Moerland
    Capo by SuperMegaUltraGroovy
    Chordify
    Chord Pickout
    CLAM Music Annotator
    DDMF Chorddetector
    DsChordFinder by Dubbeldam Software
    ELAN by Eudico
    Elevation by Superscope
    f4 transcription software for audio and video
    Frequency Analyzer by Reliable Software
    GoldWave Digital Audio Editor
    Guitar & Drum Trainer by Renegade Minds
    Guitar Shed by Astoundit
    GuitarMaster by RoboSens
    Integrated Music Transcribing Tool - Music Analyzer by Atsu Oka
    Intelliscore by Innovative Music Systems
    iRehearse from RJV Media
    Loop-A-Lick by DPR Technology
    LoopyLoopX by Jean-Louis Valero
    Melodyne
    MPEX time stretching by Prosoniq
    mTrax by TerraSofta
    Music Analyzer by Andrei Volkov
    Music Explorer by Geoff Peters and Gabriel Lo
    muDic by i-yanase.com
    Neutrino by MachineCodex
    PaceMaker WinAmp Plugin
    Pitch 'n Time by Serato
    PitchScope by Creative Detectors
    Play It Slowly by Jonas Wagner
    Pulse Master by Pianosoft
    Riff Master Pro
    Riffster by Polarity
    ScoreCloud
    ScoreExtractor by Roman Yakimenko
    Slo-Mo Director by Mike Herberts
    Slow Me Down by Roni Software
    Slow MP3 by Pekka Kauppila
    SlowGold & SlowBlast by World Wide Woodshed
    Solo Explorer by Recognisoft
    Song Surgeon
    Sonic Visualiser
    SoundSlice
    SoundTouch Audio Processing Library
    SoundToys (formerly WaveMechanics) - pitch and speed software
    Speedshifter from The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music
    Tartini - real-time music analysis tool
    33 RPM by Edenwaith
    TimeToyPro by LowNorth - time-stretch software
    Transcribe! by Seventh String Software
    Transkriber by Reed Kotler Systems Inc
    TwelveKeys from NCH Software
    Video Surgeon
    Waon Wave-to-Notes transcriber
    WIDI Recognition System

Software - iOS

Amazing Slow Downer
    Anytune by Anystone Technologies
    Audipo
    Capo by SuperMegaUltraGroovy
    iHearit by Trent Reschny
    iLift by rCreativ
    Notedown! by Thomas Leitz
    RiffMaster Pro
    Slow Down Music Player by Santa Cruz Integration
    Slow Down Music Trainer by Santa Cruz Integration

Software - Android

Audio Speed Changer by Gabriel Simoes
    Audipo
    Practice Makes Perfect by Aocate Inc.
    Maple Player Classic
    Search Google for more apps.

Source Code

If you are a programmer and you want to know how to write such programs, some of the above projects are "open source" which means you can download the source code and look at it. For spectrum analysis see Music Explorer, and for slowdown see Best Practice. I haven't actually looked at the source for either of these so I can't say for sure what you'll find.

Other Transcription Resources

How to Slow Down - my own technical article on how to slow down music without changing the pitch.

TheoreticallyCorrect.com - tutorial material about using Transcribe!

Matija Marolt, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia - research in automatic transcription.

Anssi Klapuri, Tampere University, Finland - research in automatic transcription.

Other names/places for automatic transcription: http://www-sigproc.eng.cam.ac.uk, http://iie.fing.edu.uy/investigacion/grupos/gmm/audio/, Keith Martin, David Mellinger, Dan Ellis, Paul Walmsley, Simon Godsill, Manuel Davy.

Alisdair MacRae Birch site - a useful page with more info about transcribing hardware and software.

Wikipedia: "Audio timescale-pitch modification"
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Impressive list.
    How could 'Audacity' not be there?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I use a YouTube to mp3 converter (just Google it), and then I slow it down with Audacity.

For those not finding the speed settings, it looks like this;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YTspeed.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	148953
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YTspeed.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	148952  

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Impressive list.
    How could 'Audacity' not be there?
    Good question, and I didn't catch it. Don't know why he left Audacity out.

I can say that I was mightily impressed with his site and with his program (Transcribe!) and happily licensed it after the trial period. I've had Audacity for a couple years, but never went through the learning curve with it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff