Thread: Need help identifying vintage Gibson mandolin

Question Need help identifying vintage Gibson mandolin

I found a beautiful, vintage Gibson mandolin while cleaning out my great-uncle's attic after his death. It's in great shape - I think it was recently restrung - and sounds like a dream! I don't know much about vintage mandolins and need some help identifying this model. Any estimate of its value would be extremely helpful.

You can find pictures of the mandolin and some short videos at the following site:

http://gallery.me.com/thegrims/100060

Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Need help identifying vintage Gibson mandolin

It's a 1917 Style A. Appears to be in good condition except that the celluloid pickguard is partially deteriorated and is missing the arm that connects it to its clamp. You should loosen the strings and have it checked out by a professional repair shop to make sure the internal brace isn't loose and all the seams are tight.

Original hardshell case appears to be in good shape, and adds value to the instrument. I can't tell from the photos whether it would be possible to restore the pickguard or not. Without the pickguard, and with no other problems or needed repairs, it's probably worth $900 to $1,100 maximum, although some old Style A's are selling for less than that right now. If the pickguard can't be saved, you can sell the clamp here on the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds ... it could be worth $40–50 by itself.

If you can take some outdoor photos in natural light without the flash, it'll be easier to see what condition the finish is in.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks so much for the info! I'll get some more pictures and post them here. Thanks again for this very useful information.

It looks to be in wonderful shape. Good luck with it Lori and it's always nice to see these old Gibson preserved so well through the ages and handed through to the family.