Thread: Eastman 815V

Blog Entries

Default Eastman 815V

Ok, so does anyone have any input on the Eastman 815v? Good, bad all comments are welcome!
    Tone Gard

Default Re: Eastman 815V

Can be good, bad or middle of the road. Another Eastman 815V can be good, bad or middle of the road! Better play it first!

I've never played one myself, but what yankees1 said seems to be what I remember hearing other people had said about the 815 - some can be great, and some so so. However, others who have tried also said that the 915 consistently impresses. Just something to consider.

I have an 815 V and the bridge snapped a few weeks after I got it. Also I don't like the finish its extremely delicate. if your finger nail runs across its leaves a permanent mark. It has a nice a tone though. If I can go back in time I would get a Kentucky KM 1000 or KM 1500.
    Sumi era if available. If not available a regular Kentucky would do.

I have an Eastman 815v and Im not really liking it right now.... It does vary between each mando and I got a bad one... But they look nice and it is an f-style so I wouldn't say it's a bad mandolin, but if I were you I would get a used mandolin of like a webber or collings. That is what I am trying to do right now....

I think the Eastmans are more hit or miss then the Kentucky's in the same price range. I've seen, picked and heard some mighty fine Eastmans of all models but I've experienced more duds. Kentucky to me seems more quality in fit and finish and sound.

I've owned an Eastman 815V since January. I played one at a local dealer but ended up buying mine from the Mandolin Store. I have been very pleased with it overall. Yes, the varnish finish is very thin and yes, if you run your fingernail over it you'll leave a crease. I knew that going in and so far it hasn't been an issue. I've had other instruments (mandos included) with hard poly or lacquer finishes and intentionally did not want to go that route. The finish on my 815V was never flawless. If you look in the interior twists of the scroll or examine the finish under the fretboard extension, it's pretty rough. Still. it suits me fine and is a way better mandolin than I am a player. Do I covet other instruments? Sure, don't we all?

My question would be since the OP already owns a KM675 and a Washburn M118, perhaps they should enjoy those for a bit while saving up for a more significant upgrade than the 815V would offer.

Bill

I know this is an old thread but I know that quality can sometimes change over time so maybe some of this is a bit outdated. Looking at two mandolins the Eastman 815 versus the Kentucky KM-1050 or 1500. Spec wise they are all pretty similar but any thoughts on which one is the better instrument. I own a Kentucky KM-675, which is a fine mando but I never quite bonded with it. I don't live anywhere near any dealers so I can't really try before I buy unfortunately. I own an Eastman archtop (AR805) and a E10SS (J-45 copy) and both of them are superb instrument, on par quality wise with anything else out there that I have seen. Any thoughts from your collective experience would be appreciated.

I've got a 515 but I like 615s and 815s the best. some 815s come with a standard pickup inside the strap pin. If there is one fault with Eastmans it is the finish, very thin but if you don't mind scratches it's a great mando

The character of individual instruments can be quite different. Models can also evolve over time.

The best varnish finish MD815V mandolins that came through my shop were amazing. However, that took replacing the bridge and otherwise working over the instrument to get the best out. Then the instruments still had an Eastman character, which may or may not be what one wants. None were duds, but the character was quite different. All that I saw come through later were doing better, so I suspect playing in is important for the Adi top.

The KM1050 and others in that general ilk have been (at least in my experience) more consistent in their current iterations, but the bridge is better (good enough) stock. Quite a different mandolin. I tend to think of the sound (after adjustment) to be more of a mainstream bluegrass mandolin sound.

Seems to boil down to personal taste or use and the amount and kind of setup and adjustment done. Both are excellent. I suspect the Kentucky is a bit less delicate, but I'm not willing to crash test each to see!
    Stephen Perry

People seem to have some issues with the finish on the Eastman's. The finish on my Eastman guitars is very thin, which does not bother me so much I don't mind the scratches and I think they really nail that vintage look so far as the finish goes. Stephen your comment about the Adi top I think is right on, out of the box my Adi top Eastman sounded pretty dull, a few days in a humidified case and some breaking in, it has opened up beautifully. I don't mind replacing the bridge either, I am a bit prejudiced against the Kentucky (like I said the 675 I got was good for the price I suppose) and a bid prejudiced towards the Eastman since the quality of their guitars is so high.

One important point about the Kentucky line is that the line is a brand. The instruments so branded come from different places depending upon time period and model. This is not any problem; that's the nature of brands. But it does mean that observations on one instrument model made at one time are not necessarily applicable to other models or the same model made at a different time.

While the Eastman line is all made in one shop, those instruments even of the same model varied through time as improvements were made.

Thus blanket statements prove a bit problemmatic.
    Stephen Perry

Stephen I agree the blanket statements are very problematic, particularly when considering the instruments coming out of China. The Kentucky higher end mandolins were once produced in a very small shop as I understand it, apart from the factories that their lower end models came from, I wonder if that is still the case. I

Steve, pulled the trigger on the Kentucky 1050, over the Eastman 815. I got a pretty substantial discount on the Kentucky which tipped the scale, I've chopped away on it for a few days and it has already started to open up pretty nicely and I like the slightly wider fretboard, I would say it is a better mando than the F9, at least the few that I have played, thanks for the advice.

1050 is very nice. Lovely to go through and listen to one light up.
    Stephen Perry

I've played an 815 and a 915 in a local shop [ The Music Room ] in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, nothing to choose between the for sound and the best Eastmans I've played.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole