Thread: Way Down the Old Plank Road chords?

Default Way Down the Old Plank Road chords?

Hi all, new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out with the chord progression to the Dave Macon song Way Down the Old Plank Road. Thanks all

Default Re: Way Down the Old Plank Road chords?

That's a good old song. I always liked Grandpa Jones version. I learned to play it clawhammer banjo style a long time ago and never thought about it for Mandolin..

anyway, here it is in G:

[G]Rather be in Richmond, midst all the hail and rain, Than for to be in Georgia boys, wearing that ball and chain

Chorus:

Won’t get drunk no more, won’t get drunk no [D7]more, [G]Won’t get
    drunk no more, way [D7]down on the old plank [G]road

I went down to Mobile for to get on the gravel train, Very next thing heard of me, had on a ball and chain

Dony, oh dear Dony, what makes you treat me so? Caused me to wear the bail and chain, now my ankle’s sore

Knoxville is a pretty place, Memphis is a beauty If you want to see them some pretty girls, hop to Chattanoogie

I’m going to build a scaffold on some mountain high So I can see my Dora girl as she goes riding by

My wife died on Friday night, Saturday was buried Sunday was my courting day, Monday I was married

In Ramblin Jug Stompers, we do the verses a bit differently (and we do the tune in A)

[1]Rather be in Richmond, midst [4] all the hail and [1] rain, Than for to be in Georgia boys, wearing that ball and [5] chain

Chorus, same as above.

You can hear the whole song and/or download it for free on our site -- http://jugstompers.com/hear_us.htm
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Thank you guys, it's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    In Ramblin Jug Stompers, we do the verses a bit differently (and we do the tune in A)

[1]Rather be in Richmond, midst [4] all the hail and [1] rain, Than for to be in Georgia boys, wearing that ball and [5] chain

Chorus, same as above.

You can hear the whole song and/or download it for free on our site -- http://jugstompers.com/hear_us.htm
    Good Job! Sounds great. Thanks.