Thread: Wanted: Early Gibson one piece bridge.

Default Wanted: Early Gibson one piece bridge.

Hello,
    Looking for a non-adjustable one piece bridge for an early Gibson Oval Hole A style Mandolin.
    One that is full contact and still has some life left. One that still has a bridge height of at least .695" if possible. Also looking for Tuners for same Mando of that period.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Wanted: Early Gibson one piece bridge.

There was a bridge for sale in the UK a couple of weeks ago along with this pick guard - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-A-S...p2047675.l2557 I can't find the bridge listing now as it has expired but it may be worthwhile trying to contact the seller to see if he still has it. It had a starting bid of £5 and the last time I looked he had had no interest.

I had a one piece replica made for my '15 A. ..... And no, I don't want to sell the original!

A decent Luthier can Make one for you.

Other than that , put up a wanted to buy add in the classifieds,
    that is where this belongs .

Good luck
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandoenvy View Post
    Hello,
    Looking for a non-adjustable one piece bridge for an early Gibson Oval Hole A style Mandolin.
    One that is full contact and still has some life left. One that still has a bridge height of at least .695" if possible. Also looking for Tuners for same Mando of that period.
    Thank you.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-MANDO...item27d3de5814

Siminoff does replica bridges

Stewmac Golden Age tuners should have something suitable. Are these the style you want?

Wanted ads belong in the Classifieds. It is free, although a gift to the Mandolin Cafe is recommended if your ad meets with success.
    Bill Snyder

I ordered a couple siminoff replica bridges, but they are not what I consider replicas in my picky little world, so I was trying to find an original. I will try classifieds. What is up with that ebay listing of loar style bridge for $1999.00 ?

Thank you Guys

If you're disappointed by the Siminoff one piece, you're even more likely to be disappointed by an original. Sounds like there's a problem with your mandolin. Get it checked by a luthier, who can make you a custom bridge to your desired height.

Hello Houseworker,
    There is no problem with mandolin. I just want authentic, original bridge to bring mando back to original equipment. I thought the Siminoff would be a good alternative to an original, and its close and reasonable price, but why stick with a close replica if you can maybe get an original?
    As far as Siminoff, they are one of the few online retailers that return emails and answer questions promptly. Quick shipment also. Many companies could learn a thing or two from there customer service.

Bob Smakula has originals here.

1911 through 1921 Gibson non-adjustable mandolin bridges. Solid one piece ebony mandolin bridges rescued from different Gibson mandolins. We have one pictured, but several are available in various heights. Some fitting will likely be required. Put your Gibson back to it's original state for only $150.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibSolidBridgeSide.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	107707  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

We're the originals actually "one piece"? The one which came with my '15 A has three pieces; i.e. a base and three non adjustable inserts which slide onto the top.

Perhaps the OP can tell us what year his mandolin was made. That might make a difference. The later teens ones I have owned have had bridges like the one I posted above. Earlier ones like this one form 1912 (from the Archives) have this bridge with the inserts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12312_face.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	107716  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I would love to see one with inserts. I will have to search images on web and see if I can find one.