Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Does playing Mandolin Help in learning to play the fiddle?

Oh dear

Default Re: Does playing Mandolin Help in learning to play the fiddle?

I will throw my 2 cents in. I am a violin player (classically trained) and I have to say that learning mandolin (I am a 1 day old newbie) for me has been great as I already know the notes and strings and tuning, etc. it's the first instrument other than violin I have ever played and I am in love.

Going violin to mandolin is not too bad, but the only help mandolin to violin would be the tuning and knowing what the notes should sound like. Violin is a lot of remembering where on the fingerboard that finger goes and it is a lot of very, boring, mind numbing practice. My latest set of exercises from my teacher are really awful, but will be a great help on my sticky Vivaldi.

For me, it's a nice change to strum along and learn chords and things. The one thing learning mandolin will certainly improve for me on my violin will be with double stops-violin versions of chords.

I love my little mandolin almost as much as my violins. I can already see the MAS creeping up. Good thing they are really hard to come by here!

I play both and would agree with much said already. The bow is the hardest part of learning the violin that being said I think it worthwhile to try. There is a side of the violin that isn't discussed much and that is cost. If you would like to play the violin be prepared to pay. The price of a good mandolin and violin are relatively equal some would disagree but for $2000-3000 you have a pretty nice instrument. Strings price are drastically different mandolin $4.00 vs violin $40.00+. Pick vs bow: Bluechip $40.00, bow $500.00 at a minimum a decent bow, $50.00 to re-hair the bow etc etc.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I recall reading that back then musicians - orchestra members - were reviled, considered of ill repute, having low moral character, given to drunkenness and debauchery, and barely able to even play their instruments. In fact, they were often considered useless unless someone had put some sheet music in front of them. Fortunately, some of that has changed since then.

PS: HLV - There is a typo in your post you ought to correct so as not to give people the wrong impression ...
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

Yeah, I just saw that to my chagrine, please replace the "c" with a "g" and forget about it.

Violin (rebec) players were outlawed in some areas of Europe for their rowdy ways.

The idea of 'no frets' freaks me out. Just how do you know where the notes are?
    http://pauliewotsit.wordpress.com/ my blog

"No, it's not a Ukulele, it's got twice as many strings and needs four times the talent to play!"

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBills View Post
    As a guitar player, I couldn't get how to play bass in my head until I played a fretless. Strange but true.

If you have a violin available, hold it just like your mandolin and play it with a pick, you'll find that your brain will adjust your fingers to the note without your even thinking. It's kinda weird and fun at the same time.

6. The following members say thank you to High Lonesome Valley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBills View Post
    you have to use your ear alot when starting out, but after awhile i think you develope a muscle memory. You still have to use your ear to make micro adjustments.

Thats why starting out on mandolin is so helpful
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Oh dear

Oh, yes, the cost. I just spent $150.00 on a 2 sets of strings I ordered from the US and $14.00 for 2 sets I got here for my new mandolin. Hoo boy. And I order strings from the US because they are far, far cheaper. Amazingly, though, the mandolin strings are about the same. And then there will be the cost of a rehair of my bow and lets not forget rosin - that can be an adventure in big bucks as can a shoulder rest and a new bridge....and music.....and shipping costs if I order from the US unless someone is having a free shipping deal.

Found this old thread -- dunno if it’s still alive...

Anyway, I realized again this morning how much I benefit from having both fiddle and mandolin. It’s especially helpful when I’m trying to make a tune into something special. The mando’s percussiveness and chords show up the next time I try the tune on fiddle. And the fiddle’s huge versatility of tone character leads me to get into a different groove when I go back to mandolin.

Yes, I understand that fiddle bowing and ergonomics are tough, and intonation is always an issue. Building basic competence on fiddle takes time and patience. But the ability to work something in both fiddle and mando languages is more than the sum of its parts.

Thanks. Yes me too, I really need to do some sort of fiddle or alto course with emphasis on bass line accompaniment and simple harmonisation, double stops and that strong, bouncy Old Time rhythm.

It's just the need to get beyond the scratchy stage.

Playing mandolin helps to understand chords, arpeggios and note locations. But practicing fiddle, especially under the guidance of a good mentor, is the best way to learn fiddle.