Thread: John Hutto

Blog Entries

Received this via email and the Cafe contact form this morning. Anyone else have any information on this?

name: Wesley Hutto

comment: Hi,
    John Hutto a great mandolin builder, and my grandfather passed away on Saturday 10/30/04. He was 83 years old, had some complications after having a heart bypass over a year ago, this lead to many small strokes that led up to a massive stroke that took him away from us. He was an accomplished musician and an amazing Lutherer, he built some of the most beautiful instruments in the world. He leaves behind a legacy that includes 1 son, 5 grandchildren, 10 great grandchildren and 4 great great grandchildren. He influenced us all with his music. My father and myself are active muscicians due to his influence. He was a WWII veteran, A retired Buisnessman in the Electric Motor repair
    field. After retirement he started building Artist style Mandolins. He was well know and respected, especially in the Bluegrass community.

Services will be held at 10 am Tuesday November 2, 2004 at Poteet Funeral Home, South Chapel in
    Augusta GA.

Please pass this information to any and all that would like to know.

Thank You,

Wesley Hutto (grandson)
    Augusta GA.

..thats sad news....my prayers are with his family. John built a fine mandolin...I didnt realize he was that far along in age....sad day.

Yes, a talented man has left us. And his legacy is wonderful and will be heard for the ages to come.

The obituary is posted in the Augusta Chronicle

Augusta Chronicle

Rest In Peace
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

That is a sad loss. I have played quite a few of his mandos and they were excellent!
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Gone, but not forgotten....
    John A. Karsemeyer

Sorry to hear this... I never played a Hutto but a couple of my favorite pickers play/played his mandos. They got great sound of em.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I own #122, made for me during 1996 (presented in 1/97), and i love it. A deeper/thunkier tone than most and I like that. I've never really wanted another mandolin. I met Johnny in person at thanksgiving of 1999 and he was a great guy. I'm sorry he's gone.
    ----
    Matt Dudman
    My Music Page

Default Re: John Hutto

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Received this via email and the Cafe contact form this morning. Anyone else have any information on this?

name: Wesley Hutto

comment: Hi,
    John Hutto a great mandolin builder, and my grandfather passed away on Saturday 10/30/04. He was 83 years old, had some complications after having a heart bypass over a year ago, this lead to many small strokes that led up to a massive stroke that took him away from us. He was an accomplished musician and an amazing Lutherer, he built some of the most beautiful instruments in the world. He leaves behind a legacy that includes 1 son, 5 grandchildren, 10 great grandchildren and 4 great great grandchildren. He influenced us all with his music. My father and myself are active muscicians due to his influence. He was a WWII veteran, A retired Buisnessman in the Electric Motor repair
    field. After retirement he started building Artist style Mandolins. He was well know and respected, especially in the Bluegrass community.

Services will be held at 10 am Tuesday November 2, 2004 at Poteet Funeral Home, South Chapel in
    Augusta GA.

Please pass this information to any and all that would like to know.

Thank You,

Wesley Hutto (grandson)
    Augusta GA.

As a Hutto mandolin owner I was doing some reasearch and wanting to contact John's son Ray regarding any log books or records John may have kept as he built his instruments. I was saddened to find that Wesley Hutto (John's grandson) and Ray (John's son and Wesley's dad) have both passed away (Wesley in 2007 and Ray just a few months ago). Both were musicians and were familiar with the discussions on this site regarding the affection for Hutto mandolins. I dont know them but they sounded like great folks and I am sad for the family.

I wanted to try and connect regarding preserving the history of John's work but am now hesitant to do so.

Default Re: John Hutto

I knew and played in a band with Johnny when he first started building mandolins, at that time he didn't keep records just made mandolins when bills came due. Lost tract of him when he moved to gerogia, and never saw him again. In addition to a great builder, Johnny was the smoothest mandolin picker I ever heard.