Thread: Fiddler's convention :

Blog Entries

Default Fiddler's convention :

This coming Saturday night at the Fairview Ruritan club building in Fairview, Virginia. Oughta be a good'en. Some of the best pickers in northwest North Carolina, southwest Virginia will be there, heck you might even see some famous picker. Adam Steffey was at the Elk Creek convention last year. I seen such as Alan Bibey, Sammy Shelor and others at conventions. I suspect they are talent scouting at times.

Default Re: Fiddler's convention :

My Mom lives near Wytheville. She's always trying to get me to come out and go to some of these. I wish I could. It must be nice to have all those jams and festivals and such so close by. Not much goes on out here unless you're willing to burn a lot of gas getting there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff May View Post
    My Mom lives near Wytheville. She's always trying to get me to come out and go to some of these. I wish I could. It must be nice to have all those jams and festivals and such so close by. Not much goes on out here unless you're willing to burn a lot of gas getting there.
    Yea I am glad I was born, raised and still live in this part of the country. I live in the northwest of North Carolina, there are tons of pickers and plenty places to play, has been for a very long time. And I get what you're saying, that Big Sky in Montana is a lot differant than the Carolina blue. I'd like to visit Montana and other of the Rocky Mnt. states, but doubt that'll ever happen farthest west I been is to Texas and Oklahoma both times to pick music, that was a long time ago.

Blog Entries

Well........ we won !!!!!! 1st place band, 1st place banjo........ and I won 5th place on mandolin, and that meant a lot to me because, here I am almost 56, old and decrepit, joints aching all the time, and the other mando pickers that placed were no older than 24, spped demons in every way......... my choice of tune.... Cattle In The Cane....... played by myself, no back-up by another instrument, which all the other mandolin players used....... played it on the lows the first part with the treble second part, then all treble on both parts, then the same as the sart for the finish. Winning this one made me feel better than a lot of past first place wins did, just for the simple fact of all the hot young competition.