Thread: 1950 - 1960 - Brazilian Tonante (Rei dos Violões) Mandolin

Default 1950 - 1960 - Brazilian Tonante (Rei dos Violões) Mandolin

Here are some pics of a mandolin that I borrowed from a friend and finaly I decide to bought it after 6 months.
    It´s a simple factory model that was built in the late 50´s or begining of 60´s.
    I recorded some videos with it and it sounds nice for a simple and old mandolin.
    If you want to see some videos with it in action you could check my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/MauroPavanelli

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: 1950 - 1960 - Brazilian Tonante (Rei dos Violões) Mandolin

Very nice, Mauro, thanks for posting. Great picking and a nice sounding mandolin. Here is a link to some info on Tonante, for those like me, who could stand to learn more about Brazilian luthiery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonante

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed, no matter. Try again, fail again, fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Roadmaster
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mauro: I hope you don't mind my posting this old bandolim. Perhaps you can identify it.

I bought it a few months ago. It needs work but it was sold by a store in Rio that is pretty well known, Casa Oliveira. Some said it looked very much like one that Luperce Miranda played. It seems to be well made and different in style from ones made today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandolim_label.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	69092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandolim_pg_det.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	69090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandolim_neck_det.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	69091  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandolim_full.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	69093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandolim_fretbd_det.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	69094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandolim_body_bk_det.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	69095  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook

Playing lately:
    Ca. 1923 Washburn (L&H) Pro A -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- 1904 Embergher Type 3 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Mauro: I hope you don't mind my posting this old bandolim. Perhaps you can identify it.

I bought it a few months ago. It needs work but it was sold by a store in Rio that is pretty well known, Casa Oliveira. Some said it looked very much like one that Luperce Miranda played. It seems to be well made and different in style from ones made today.
    That´s a beautiful one Jim! I know this store (Casa Oliveira) very well! I went there last week where I tested 2 Gianninis GBSM5. It´s an old music store that was famous in the past for their sheetmusic publications, it´s located at Rua da Carioca - Rio de Janeiro, the street I like to go at my lunch hour.

Here is a photo of Luperce Miranda. It is hard to tell but he could be playing a similar bandolim. The pickguard actualy looks pretty similar to some Italian made bowlback mandolins by Giovanni DeMeglio.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook

Playing lately:
    Ca. 1923 Washburn (L&H) Pro A -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- 1904 Embergher Type 3 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Here is a photo of Luperce Miranda. It is hard to tell but he could be playing a similar bandolim. The pickguard actualy looks pretty similar to some Italian made bowlback mandolins by Giovanni DeMeglio.

Almost all brazilians Luthiers are originally from Italian families that came to our country at the begining of XIX century (My mother family came from Italy also at that time), so it´s very common to find similarities with some brazilian instruments with those found in Italy, even the big factories here got an Italian name like Giannini, Di Giorgio, Del Veccio, etc.