Thread: THE Sound and the Purple Hulls

Default THE Sound and the Purple Hulls

Hey All,

Been awhile since I posted.

Anyway I'm posting this YouTube as I can't stop listening to this band. It is a brother and his twin sisters - Penny (Mando) and Katy (banjo). The brother is Ben Clark who voluntarily walked away from being the banjo player for Taylor Swift to try to make a go of it with his sisters as part of a deal with Sony. Blood is thicker than money. But what else can you expect from Texas farm folks. He is equally good on the dolbro and mando and of course the banjo. I hope they do well.

What really caught my attention about this band was the sound of the mando - well OK the sisters too . My jaw dropped as it has exactly the tone and chop I'm looking for. I know it's a combination of the player, mando and sound system but still - exactly what I'm looking for - nice round mids, solid not over powering chop and no tinniness in the highs. Does it make sense to shop for a mando based on sound of one you like? Does it make sense to ask builders - can you make one that sounds like this?

I'm away for the next couple days on work stuff but will be back this weekend. I look forward to any answers!

-Ed-

PS Typical banjo player antics!

Default Re: THE Sound and the Purple Hulls

[QUOTE=EasyEd;890877]Hey All,

Does it make sense to shop for a mando based on sound of one you like? Does it make sense to ask builders - can you make one that sounds like this?
    -Ed-
    Isn't that what we do? What other real reason would we have? We are always looking for the sound we like.

Banjo Ben! He is awesome and his sisters are amazing.

Hey All,

Hardesty you know Banjo Ben! He was great on the Country Music Association Awards show!

Well I see on their Facebook page all the work they been doin in Nashville is gonna result in a CD in early March. My plastic is ready for a purchase.

Here is another I really like. Banjo Ben on the dolbro.

Now how do I find a mandolin that sounds like this one? Really when you find the sound you want in another's playing how do you match it?

-Ed-

Take a look at this article Penny Clark is playing a Summit mandolin. Looks like an F-100S, Gruhn's has a couple for sale on their website.

Hey All,

In case you missed it the Purple Hulls CD is available on itunes.

Here is a song from the upcoming gospel CD they are working on.

http://www.frequency.com/video/highe...yle-hd/4581038

Hope these sisters and brother do well.

-Ed-

Ed - Thanks. Banjo Ben - Thanks. Penny and Katy - Wow. I like it!

It looks like a Gibson F5G.

Hey All,

It might be a Gibson I know the blonde mando Penny sometimes plays is the Summit just not sure about the sunburst.

Happy Easter!

-Ed-

I'd bet a dollar that's an F5G.

Anyone know what kind of banjo she's playing in the first video? It has guitar-like headstock with five banjo tuners on it, rather the normal configuration of having a classic banjo headstock with four tuners and then a fifth tuner halfway up the neck.

Hey All,

Paul you are right and Chip you need more confidence than just betting a buck - it is an F5G. Had my daughter ask on their facebook page and Ben answered sayin so. Also said that Penny has the touch on that mando as he does not get the same chop. I love the sound of that mando - I've never considered a Gibson before may need to rethink that. Chip your not far from Challis - ever heard of the Brauns?

-Ed-

Ed, I am about 2 hours away from Challis, play there occasionally, and I know the Braun family, especially Muzzy. I have played their Reunion festival, and other events where my bands are on the same bill as the various Braun family bands.

As for the mandolin, I wouldn't sweat that particular one too much. The recordings aren't so good that some especially unique character is coming across to me. The only thing I hear is that it seems to be voiced for a high midrange "crack", and not a deeper "whack" like some builders go for. That is somewhat typical of Gibsons. As for F5Gs, I have played quite a few and never found one that caught my attention, while some other Gibson mandolins have. I am sure there are very good ones, but I wouldn't assume that just any ol' F5G is going to give you what you want.

What a great sound they have! The vocal harmonies and those weepy, descending dobro arpeggios on the last clip are are stirring.

Scott

Hey All,

Yeah Thanks Chip I recognize that there is always variation from mando to mando. I just really like the sound of how that mando fits those songs and know I'd have to try several.

As for the Brauns I've never been to a "Reunion" and have been thinking of going this year - good looking lineup - and combine it with a couple other things. I really like songs where Micky just sings and I am a fan of Reckless Kelly (Willy and Cody) - really like Cody on the emando.

-Ed-