Thread: Bridge placement

Default Bridge placement

I recently got a new bridge put on my stonebridge mandolin, cause the one on there when I bought it was so wide that it I thought it might be muting the strings somewhat.
    The sound is much better now. The problem is, Three sides of the bridge base are flush with the top, while on the E string side facing the tailpeice, It is visibly not. I can fit a piece of paper underneath it on that part. I've started to get some occasional buzzing as well and wondered if this might be the reason.
    I tried to put one of these on myself once, and had to let a proffesional fix it when he remarked that it wasnt set as well as it could be, so I know it's not easy, but should'nt it be exactly flush when done well?, or is it not always possible. hate to send it off again, but my guess is, It's worth it, it could be done better. I'd appreciate an informed opinion. sorry, no pics. I'm not familiar with the uploading thing yet.

Default Re: Bridge placement

If its just the treble side facing the tp and not the bass side, then yes it should be fitted better. Buzzing starting after the bridge change would most likely be frets or bridge slots. If it it wasnt fitted properly, the rest of the setup that followed may not be right either.

but shouldn't it be exactly flush when done well?, or is it not always possible
    In short, yes it should fit flush. Some tops are much more difficult to fit a bridge to than others, but it is never impossible. This is what professionals setup guys are for.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

The problem is that most people simply work the bridge's feet using a sheet of fine sandpaper that is put on the mando's top, then rubbing the bridge against it in order to shape it. The problem is, this is done without the strings applying pressure on the bridge, and when the mandolin is stringed and properly tuned, there is some deformation of the bridge which can then not be completely flush with the top. Careful minute adjustments can be made but it takes time and patience.
    "People will be more impressed with your playing than the price of your instrument."

Well, I brought it to the 12th fret in Toronto, where I should have gone in the first place. The guy there thought it was a decent enough job on the bridge, so I might leave it for now and possibly try and give it a bit of extra work on my own. seeing as most of the works done, on it already, it should be easier this time. Correct though, Bernabe. The buzzing was caused by it needing some minor fret dressing, So its see you later for another month to my mandolin. I'm not gonna complain though. I've got two others, and I switch playing them so often, that I never really could play favorites with any consistency. Thanks for the info. Always have enjoyed experimenting with bridges and saddles on these instruments. You can really fine tune to the sound you want, though it may take some trial and error.