Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Mando Under $500

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

Default Re: Best Mando Under $500

Quote Originally Posted by bblaedorn View Post
    I am in the market for an upgrade. I am a novice and would like a quality mandolin without breaking the bank. Of course, I would prefer an F-Style mandolin. Are there any in my price range worth purchasing? I owned a Michael Kelly F-Style previously which was decent but the action was way too high for my liking. Any input on a nice, playable mandolin with lower action would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and happy picking.

Ben
    Ben,

From what instrument are you upgrading? What improvements are you looking for in an upgrade? Is it strictly a tone improvement?

Thanks,
    Nelson
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

I was playing a Michael Kelly Legacy FSE. I enjoyed the tone but fully acknowledge I have far less than a sophisticated ear. The action was a little high. I set it up myself, though. The bridge was in the correct place and as low as it would go without fretting out. I did not want to pay someone to adjust the nut. In hindsight I probably should have. I enjoyed the instrument for about 3 years but have moved on from it. I do not necessary have my heart set on an F. I was just looking for general feedback for the best in my general price range. So far the thread has been helpful. I still have my old $200 Washburn which I will play until I make my decision. I am in no rush. All posts are appreciated and have helped provide different directions to pursue. One hang up I have had is simply geography. I live in Fargo ND, 100,000 people, there is a limited amount of instruments I can physically play.

Thanks again guys and gals,

Ben

Blog Entries

Stay warm tonight, Ben.

My undergrad degree is from Moorhead State [whatever they call it now] ... I've seen my share of Fargo in January. Had to move back to balmy Wisconsin.

I have owned one of those Washburns, I think. Mine was a blue A-Oval. I have also owned several Michael Kellys. I played in a jam last Saturday with someone who was playing a Legacy O and someone playing a Kentucky. To be honest, neither one had that lower end tone that some instruments lack. To me, the mandolin sounds the best when it has a full sound.

Something to consider is that every time one of us sells a mandolin, we get about half of the new cost for it. Buying and trading up frequently erodes your money quicker than waiting a little while and buying something a few steps ahead. The other side is that buying a broken in instrument gets the best value for your money.

An approach that might work for you is to email Dennis at TheMandolinStore.com and talk to him about where you'd like to go. I have heard really good things about some instruments in your price range. One of the downsides of the current mandolin market is that getting one of those good ones takes a little waiting sometimes.

I have dealt with Dennis many times and trust him. He can be "on watch" for something being traded in and help you out. You might try the same thing with Big Joe Vest.

OR you could go to the Elderly Instruments web site and win that Northridge! They are getting alot of buzz these days.

Sorry for the rambling. It has been a long day and my brain is used up.
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

I was just talking to one of the guys at The Mandolin Store on another issue and asked about the The Loar LM520VS, which sells for $449. He said the neck was a bit thick and that the Kentucky 505 http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8068 is the best buy under $500.00. (The website mentions that.) The downside is that it is an A model (given that you specified a preference for an F).
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Just looking at ebay, there is a nice Kentucky KM-600 for 529 or best offer (NFI)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kentucky-KM-600-...item53e57aeeb2
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A