Thread: Cluck Old Hen

Default Cluck Old Hen

This is such a weird tune in terms of arrangements. I've known the "old-time" version for some time, but now I'm learning the Alison Krauss version. I don't think I've met two people who play the same chords the same way in the old time version and it seems like Alison Krauss's version is a different chord progression altogether (not really interchangeable with the old time version of the melody).

Does anyone know both versions of this song? How do you arrange the chords in each version?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cluck Old Hen

There is cool version of COH (not minor chord version) from Joe Walsh on peghead nation in key of A
    Chord changes aren't written in his tab but here's my take on it

A part: A/A/D/A A/E/A/A (twice)
    B part: A/A/A/A A/E/A/A (twice)

The changes to the 4 and 5 are subtle so I can see it played differently and still sound fine

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Thanks Mark, that lesson by Joe Walsh is what got me started on all this (he's doing the Alison Krauss version). I realized the chords are different from the other version of COH that is more common.

But even the non-Alison-Krauss version has several variations on the chords. Some do it with an Am and some don't (even though the melody is in Am). I guess when an A major chord is used instead of Am it's better to modify the melody to treat the minor third as a blue note and work in the major third. Adam Steffey does this on his version of COH on the New Primitive album.

Thanks for your take on the chords. I've been trying to figure it out but there's not really much going on so it's difficult. You could almost just play an A chord over the whole thing with an E turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Does anyone know both versions of this song? How do you arrange the chords in each version?
    I've heard Alison Krauss' version but I'm not that familiar with it. The OT chord progressions are all over the map, though, like you said. This is the way we typically play it in my neck of the woods:

A part: A/G/A/D A/A/E/A (twice)
    B part: A/A/A/G A/A/E/A (twice)
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

6. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I've heard Alison Krauss' version but I'm not that familiar with it. The OT chord progressions are all over the map, though, like you said. This is the way we typically play it in my neck of the woods:

A part: A/G/A/D A/A/E/A (twice)
    B part: A/A/A/G A/A/E/A (twice)
    In my neck of the woods, they play these chords. Pretty similar to yours, but not quite identical:

A part: A/G/A/G A/G/E/A (twice)
    B part: A/C/A/G A/G/E/A (twice)

That is, no D -- you just alternate between A and G before resolving through the E in the A-part. Also, we go to a C in the first part of the B-part, rather than stay on A.

Anyway, I don't think the tune is in Am, Stevo75. It's more like A modal (mixolydian mode), with A and G major chords. I've never heard anyone back it up with an Am chord, myself.

I have heard it played with an Am before and that's also the way Barron on mandolessons.com teaches it:

http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/.../cluck-old-hen

Not saying that's any more or less right than any other version, just showing that at least one person plays it with an Am (you'll need to look at the sheet music below the video to see the suggested chords). Personally, I like it with the A instead of Am. In my neck of the woods I have seen in played Tobin's way, sblock's way and Barron's way. I've also seen a mix of Tobin's and sblock's where a D is used instead of that second G (like Tobin's) but the C is used in the B part (like sblock's).

sblock, I know what you mean by modal and mixolydian, but if the melody is played the way that Barron shows it (a, g, e, d, and c notes), those are all Am pentatonic notes. Although I'm guessing most people bend the c up a bit or slide/slur into the c# which would turn it from Am into A mixolydian.

The Alison Krauss version is definitely mixolydian. It doesn't have any of the minor/modal quality to it at all other than to use the c as a passing note to the c# to give it a bluesy flavor.

Mark, I saw your PM. I will watch some Alison Krauss videos tonight and see if I can figure out what chords they're using. It sounds like a whole lot of A and not much else. I'll post here if I can figure it out. I'll also work out Adam Steffey's version on New Primitive.

The Alison Krauss version is definitely mixolydian. It doesn't have any of the minor/modal quality to it at all other than to use the c as a passing note to the c# to give it a bluesy flavor.
    Yep, this tune, like a lot of modal tunes, floats between the C and C#, making strong use of the "in between" note that we recently discussed in another thread. It really gives it the right flavor.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Alright, here's what they're doing on Alison Krauss' version. They play it as ABAB when taking breaks. It's a bit different from the OT versions mentioned above. The big difference is that the D chord in the A part and the G chord in the B part come one measure earlier than the OT version. Also, the E chord is every other time through (i.e. instead of 8 bars and then saying "repeat", each part is 16 bars and the E chord only comes once at the end). It also comes one measure earlier than the OT version. You could probably simplify by writing each part as 8 bars, including the E each time, and saying repeat, but as far as I can tell the E chord comes around every other time.

Part A:

A/A/D/A
    A/A/A/A
    A/A/D/A
    A/E/A/A

Part B:

A/A/G/A
    A/A/A/A
    A/A/G/A
    A/E/A/A
    Last edited by Stevo75; Jun-05-2017 at 10:38pm.

Here's the version I used. I love seeing a tiny Sierra Hull tear it up! She's gotta be about 10-12 year old.

The Adam Steffey New Primitive version is harder for me to figure out as it's just banjo and mandolin. And when Adam is backing it's just a chop chord and I can't even hear him change so I have to listen to the melody the banjo is playing. It's much easier to figure out chords if there is a bass player and/or guitar.

Anyhoo, this is pretty similar (if not the same) as Tobin's version above.

Part A: A/A/A/D A/A/E/A (repeat)

Part B: A/A/A/G A/A/E/A (repeat)

Maybe there is a G chord instead of the second A in Part A. It's hard to tell. It would work either way. I don't think they're going to a C chord for the second measure of the B part as is usual, but again, it's hard to tell without a bass. In the melody, at that part, they're bending the C note up. In that case it would be more similar to an A chord than a C.

Overall, this version is just another variation on the other OT versions. The Alison Krauss version is something altogether different.

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Alright, here's what they're doing on Alison Krauss' version.

Part A:

A/A/D/A
    A/A/A/A
    A/A/D/A
    A/E/A/A

Part B:

A/A/G/A
    A/A/A/A
    A/A/G/A
    A/E/A/A
    That's it! Great jam tune

Here are both in one place. Sierra plays the AKUS style and then they all bust into the old time version(s). They also added different endings/tags here and there...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ky Slim For This Useful Post: