Thread: Any information on the value of this mandolin?

Question Any information on the value of this mandolin?

I have had this Suzuki Model 70 Mandolin since the mid 1970's. Received this "tater bug" mandolin & a Magnum Banjo as a trade for PA equipment in the Detroit, MI area, when I left a acoustic rock group that I used to be in. The mandolin is in great shape, no cracks in the finish, always kept in a fitted hardshell fitted case. I am not really looking into selling this, just would like to get an idea on it's value.

I don't really play the mandolin or the banjo (just a few chords), I am more of a guitarist. I have two Ovations, an electric acoustic 6 and an electric acoustic 12 string, both from the late 60's. I only add this since on a few posts (I browsed to see if this model was already listed in a forum somewhere) people seemed to ask about musical preferences and instruments.

Thanks in advance of any feedback
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki Mandolin (2).jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	67108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki Mandolin (1).jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	67109  

Default Re: Any information on the value of this mandolin?

Welcome to the cafe! There are some sections of the cafe dealing with bowlback instruments like yours, but that area is strongly a minority (and perhaps a strong minority). ebay completed sales, Vintage Guitar's Price Guide, and some scattered bowlbacks offered for sale at music stores are possible references for you. I personally have no knowledge.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Suzukis are pretty common but their are generally overbuilt as compared to other more desirable bowlbacks. You can check ebay completed sales as Michael suggests. Generally these go for $150-200 if in good shape.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

...... which is probably more than they were when they were new.