Thread: Gibson F9 -v- F5L -v- Fern

Default Gibson F9 -v- F5L -v- Fern

I'm looking at replacing my Michael Kelly Dragonfly for some thing with more volume that will sound better as I go up the fretboard. It's been a great mando (one of the better MKs I've been told) but I'm ready to move on to an American made instrument. Is the Gibson F9 comparable to the F5Ls and Ferns soundwise? While I appreciate inlay and binding are the wood and basic construction the same? The F9s seem to be a great deal right now and if I can get as good of a sound they seem to fit the bill. literally.
    Thanks in advance

I originally posted this in teh wrong area thanks to those who has answered in the other thread already

Default Re: Gibson F9 -v- F5L -v- Fern

Can't compare the F9 to the F5Ls, but I can tell you that the F9 is a great mandolin. I just purchased one and can't put it down. While not fancy, mine is a 2002 "Sheraton Brown" model, it plays beautifully and has terrific volume. I'm very pleased. If you don't want to spend the extra for a F5, you won't go wrong with a F9.
    1969 Gibson EM-150
    2002 Gibson F9
    2001 Taylor 310 CE
    1980's Brazos Banjo
    various Fenders and a Les Paul

I Love my F9, they had a fern also and it was perty but I didn't play it because I had already fallen for the F9 and made up my mind for it, didn't want to get in a quandry,,or get that MAS thing going...which no one has explained to me what that means yet.....

MAS = Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome. Here's the definition: http://www.mandolincafe.com/glossary/glossary_13.shtml

I'm in MAS recovery. The F9 did it for me.
    1969 Gibson EM-150
    2002 Gibson F9
    2001 Taylor 310 CE
    1980's Brazos Banjo

thanks for clearing that up for me!

Thanks for the posts. What kind of money are they really bringing new or used? Anybody know?

I've seen used ones from $1500 to $2500. Here's one that's currently on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Mandolin-...item3a621c5d06
    1969 Gibson EM-150
    2002 Gibson F9
    2001 Taylor 310 CE
    1980's Brazos Banjo