Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best acoustic guitar under $2000ish

Default Re: Best acoustic guitar under $2000ish

Also second (or is it third) the suggestion for a Larrivee. It is one of the best guitar you can get for under $1,500. I also like Martin D18GE, and you can find them used regularly for under $2k.

I am also a big fan of the Eastman and Recording King guitars, and I think if the OP budget is under $1K, I would have a hard time coming up with a better guitar than the Eastman E10 or E20. But once you get up to the $1K to $2K range, the selections open up tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Harmon View Post
    I went to a bluegrass event in or around Mooresville N.C. a few years back in a high school auditorium and I didn't feel I could hear any of the guitar breaks well enough. There were I think 28 top rate groups so I wonder if some of the problems relating to volume on both guitar and mandolin could be helped by a little more finesse with the back up and the louder instruments?
    In my experience, there are many guitars that will drive a rhythm well and lay a good foundation, but it's rare to find one that will perform equally well when it comes time to solo. Many get quiet and lose all thier "punch" in such moments.

A friend of mine has an older Guild, although it was closer to $1000. A very nice dread in sunburst with a cutaway and mahogany back and sides. I'd own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Margolis View Post
    A friend of mine has an older Guild, although it was closer to $1000. A very nice dread in sunburst with a cutaway and mahogany back and sides. I'd own it.
    Mine is a 1960 D25M (all mahogany, I think). Got it for $400 some years ago. Even given my bias towards Guilds, I think it sounds as good as any Martin dread I've heard. And I don't really jam much, but it is LOUD and I'm certain wouldn't get lost in any ensemble. I think there are Guild dreads out there for around $500 on a fairly frequent basis.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

If you are not in a hurry watch Ebay for a used Bourgeois "Ricky Skaggs Signature" Dreadnaught made prior to year 2000. Very good bluegrass guitars. I have owned a couple in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    If you are not in a hurry watch Ebay for a used Bourgeois "Ricky Skaggs Signature" Dreadnaught made prior to year 2000. Very good bluegrass guitars. I have owned a couple in years past.
    Hi nickster - just curious why prior to 2000. Did Bourgeois change the specs on the guitar that year? Thanks.

Ol' Andy - SillyMoustache

Hi, I play mostly guitar ad dobro wth mando as my third weapon.
    Guitarse my passion.
    Firstly, if you are playing in a bluegrass band, you need power or you will be over paying and it can be exhausting.
    Look at most good bluegrass players fro way back - what do they choose ? Martin D-28 or D-18 - ther is a reason for this. They are the tools for the job.
    I play dreads and smaller models but in a band sceanrio - a dread is the tool for the job.

A good "hog" guitar gives a more simple and direct sound (IMHO) but for many years I found my '73 D-35 did the job admirably - great bass.

IMHO (again) nothing sounds quite like a good played in standard series Martin, (D-18, D-28, D-35 or the lighter HD-28/35) but nowadays I play Collings guitars because I feel they are simply better than Martins - but they tend to be more expensive.

Bourgeois make fine guitars - and if they are good enough for Bryan Sutton etc........

I'm in the UK and so I'm not sure about Recording King - they are not quality instruments over here - and you might want to be careful about build quality and tone in your selection.

Blueridge are getting better and better, but will they have the longevity and power of a Martin ?

A Martin Standard series is rarely a mistake. Buynig a Collings - well you don't see a whole lot selling used do you ? There's a good reason for that.

Final point. Martins of the '70s are demed poor quality - that ain't bnecessarilly so, but a guitars need a neck resent sooner or later, and it is an easier job on a Collings or Bourgeois due to the blt on necks.

Taylors are fine guitars but don't sound bluegrass to me. Guilds are now made by Fender .........!

Hope I haven;t trodden on any toes, just my opinion and as they say - YMMV.

Ol' SM

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    My (totally unbiased, as always) vote is for a Guild dreadnought, Rhode Island vintage. I think there are plenty of 'em out there, and you can walk away with $1500 in your pocket.
    A few years ago I had a Guild Rhode Island GF50 that I bought new. Got smashed when a strap broke at a jam. But it was Martin killer in bot tone and volume.
    The music never dies

Jim Marshall

Dont know much about Guilds. Seems like theres a ton of different kinds. I'll do some research. The D-18GE is still verrrry interesting.

The Bourgeois "Ricky Skaggs Signature" model was made prior to 2000. Bourgeois closed shop I believe late 1999 and reopened under Pantheon Guitars in 2001. I might be slightly wrong about the dates. Anyway the RS model looks very close to the current D-150 but has a Sitka top and Indian Rosewood back and sides. If you can find a used Vintage D for 2000 jump on it. Most of them go for around 2300.00. All of Bourgeois guitars are great instruments.

There are some fantastic guitars under $2,000.00 by Breedlove, Taylor, & Martin. I bought my two sons guitars....one a Martin for ~$1,100.00 and a Breedlove for ~$1,200.00 & both are amazing. My wife's Taylor is a 700 series and was a bit over $2,000.00 several years ago & I will tell you it is the nicest sounding guitar I have ever heard.......BAR NONE!!!!!! Taylor has some nice guitars in the $1,000-$2,000 range too.
    Peace,
    Jim

I have an 80 s ovation adamas elite that blows the doors off of everything I have ever tried. It works great for every type of music I play, rock, bluegrass, gypsy swing.... It's way off of the Classic dreadnought radar, but sound wise. It is great. Trust your ears and play a lot of guitars... You will find the one that sounds right to you.

A used Collings D1 at the the right price would be a lot of guitar. Even the slightly more expensive D1A can be had at the right price. I hope to pick one up myself one of these days.

The Collingsforum.com classifieds has them often. There's a mint looking used one with an installed K&K up there right now.

NFI

Some beautiful "Sigma by Martin" from the 80s also to be found for amazing prices. Korean built with US set-up. Bought one in '84 for about $500 that still would sell for about $500 . . . so, not a great investment, but great sound.
    Steve

$1,800-2,100 can buy you a great guitar, especially if you consider the used market! If you’re going to play bluegrass and can afford about $2,000 then I see no reason to buy a Chinese guitar. First and foremost, the choice guitars for most bluegrass jams are Martins and Collings, and boutique makers like Bourgeois , Huss and Daulton, Proulx, etc. While there are many great Chinese-made guitars, you can certainly afford a used Martin and there are a few boutique makers who also have guitars in your range. (Gibsons and Taylors are sometimes used, but are much less popular. That being said, Robin Bullock plays an old Taylor dread.)

I think your first step should be to choose a guitar size. Jams are mainly populated by dreads. The next most popular is the 000 size. 00’s are also used, but you would need to find one with some punch. Once you determine the guitar size, you should consider back/side wood, neck shape, frets to the body and scale. These are all very personal choices and while folks can opine on the best model, you will get the most satisfaction out of the guitar that meets your preferences. Martin makes a few different models that you should be able to find used in your price range and I bet you can find one in your price range that meets whatever preferences you have.

If you prefer a new guitar and want a Martin, you should check out the 16 (rosewood) and 18 series (mahogany). Also, watch for sales as lots of dealers will clear D-28s out on special sales for around $2K.

One good option is to go to a guitar show and play lots of guitars. There are big shows in many venues and I really like the Philadelphia (Valley Forge) show run by Bee 3 Vintage. I recommend you bring a tuner and your favorite pick with you.

Mandolin Café seems to have lots of used guitars show up in the classified. In addition, you can look at the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. There will be lots of used guitars for sale. You can also sign up Flatpick-L or check out the Flatpick-L archives on a regular basis. Periodically there are great used guitars for sale. There are other forums to look at such as Flatpicker Hangout, Collings Guitar Forum, etc. Personally I think you are best off trying to buy something that you have had a chance to play.

Good luck with your quest!!!

I've got a good guitar I'm happy with but if I had to pick one tomorrow and wanted to stick with a name-brand...it would be a Martin OM-21. Way more comfy than a dred, useful for all kinds of music, the best value in the Martin range in terms of sound-for-money. At least to my ears. Hold their resale value well, too.

All ten thumbs up for the Martin D 18 GE. Any i've played have been wonderful guitars. Lot's of other nice instruments have been mentioned ... but at your price point ... none better than the D 18 GE. (The Martin 000-18 GE is the winner in its size class.)

Have Phun!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
    But I want something that really projects at a bluegrass jam. A real canon.... But $$$ is tight. I have a Collings MT and basically looking for the "Collings MT of acoustic guitars". Something with a solid reputation for killer tone, volume, and affordability and something I'll keep for years.
    I'll say again a used Collings D1 (can be had for $2,300 ) or better yet D1A (adirondack spruce top) fits all your specs perfectly.

Personally if you do any fingerpicking at all Taylor is the way to go in my opinion. The Taylor 810 is a good all around guitar very good for all kinds of styles. You can pick up a nice used one in good condition around $1200.

OP says he wants something to cut in a bluegrass jam session. A "real cannon". A Taylor 810 is definitely not a cannon. Sorry I should add that I have not played ever Taylor every made but those I have played and owned didn't have the same "juice" Collings guitars always seem to have. Yes that's sort of one-sided.

The Collings D1 is a mahogany guitar with a spruce top. Hog means cut. D1A has the red spruce. We should all be familiar with that around here. Collings dreads are known to have a "forward" voice. If OP wants the "Collings MT of acoustic guitars" well then that's the D1 or D1A.

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

I have this one. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=516996

I picked it up on Ebay for $800 and just almost consider that criminal given how great the guitar is. I love the neck profile and feel and the tone is loud and clear.

I know some of you are going to look down on a Takamine, but that's o.k. I'll put it up against any guitar in its price range any day.
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

I'd look for a used Bourgeois Vintage OM or Vintage D. Maybe $2,250 or so.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Wow... Came back and saw all these post. This is so helpful. Learning a lot. Now I just need to find some time and get to a guitar shop!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Peddycoart View Post
    I have this one. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=516996

I picked it up on Ebay for $800 and just almost consider that criminal given how great the guitar is. I love the neck profile and feel and the tone is loud and clear.

I know some of you are going to look down on a Takamine, but that's o.k. I'll put it up against any guitar in its price range any day.

You got a steal on that Takamine for that price. Brad Davis sure likes 'em!

Jeff

I have a Larivee and really enjoy the sound and the feel of it. Others I play with have a Blueridge and cheaper Martin as well as a Taylor. The Taylor is as close to the Larivee as far as the sound to me. As always, just my humble opinion. Suprised though that no one has mentioned the Gibson guitars.