Thread: JazzMando flatwound string users-why do you use these

Question JazzMando flatwound string users-why do you use these

what do they(or any flatwound for that matter) accomplish for you that standard wound/unwound string sets do not. what do they change and in what way.

thanks
    daryl
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Dec-13-2010 at 6:25pm.

Default Re: JazzMando flatwound string users-why do you use these

i like the feel of flat wounds. jazz mando was one of the original places that sold them but seems like addairo and emando are on board now as well

Zero squeak. Extremely long life. Extremely balanced even tone. Very easy smooth and quiet slides. Soft feel.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I'm not all that crazy about the Jazz Mando strings. I use Thomastik because I like the stronger, more powerful feel to them and I love the wound "A" string. I have been using flatwounds for many years and just recently got another mandolin to have as a backup. I haven't ordered the Thomastiks for it yet and have a set of D'Adario J74's that were included when I bought it. The metallic brightness and finger squeak every time I move up and down the fretboard drives me crazy. The Thomastiks have a very even and balanced tone. Nice warmth. I hear more of the mandolins' tone and less of the strings' tone. Flatwounds are the easiest playing strings I have ever used. Plus they last forever. The set I have on my main mandolin have been on since March and they sound exactly the same now as they did a week after I put them on. There is no space between the windings for corrosion to build up. I never clean them and they still never corrode. Contrary to popular belief, they can be used in a bluegrass setting. You have to have a pretty loud mandolin as there is some loss in volume, but I have never had a problem being heard. I can't imagine using anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    jazz mando was one of the original places that sold them but seems like addairo and emando are on board now as well
    I started using Thomastik's in 1997 and they were readily available then. Jazz Mando's (LaBella) version is still relatively new in the market. Pyramid Gold have been out for quite some time as well.

I am looking at putting them on my Weber Vintage A. What size do you reccomend, mittle or stark? Also are you using these on oval or F hole mandos?

Stark is roughly the equivalent of J74 or medium strings as far as the tension on the instrument. I use Starks on a teens Gibson oval. I have used them on an F hole instrument as well.

The long life thing is big in my book. I don't enjoy changing strings on mandolins. Guitars are one thing, but mandolins are pain in the butt. If your e strings tarnish and get old sounding you can change them out with any good plain steel string and leave the wound strings as is. So I have a small supply of 11s around for that.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Another vote for TI heavy or stark.

If you're going flat wound, give the best a shot.

I think the medium/light mittle's would better suit a bowl-back.

I was leary about the cost - but they seem to last forever.
    Malcolm Grundy from Montreal

Blog Entries

I'm a fan. I like the smooth feel, the tonal qualities and very long life the JM11s provide. I have flatwounds on all of my mandolins at the moment (cant top, bowlback, arch top oval, arch top ff holes).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I agree with the prior postings, the TI stark is really not all that heavy compared to other "heavy" strings. Many, including myself, consider the TI's the best and I would try them first. They're expensive, but they'll last a year. Most any high quality mandolins should easily handle their tension.

I have heard that the intonation will be off because of the wound A string. Is this true? Do I have to have a new saddle cut?

Blog Entries

Only TIs have the wound A (D' Addario and JM11s do not). I didn't need a new saddle on any of mine when I used TIs.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I'm a fan. I like the smooth feel, the tonal qualities and very long life the JM11s provide. I have flatwounds on all of my mandolins at the moment (cant top, bowlback, arch top oval, arch top ff holes).

Jamie
    Jamie, how long a life are we talking for these strings? They're costly, though, I think, right.....cost means a lot here in Canada, I know it does in US also, but here everything is 35% (at least) more than in US by the time you get it.
    "....if you can't find a way out...go deeper in..."

Eastman 805D
    Fender 53S SB

Blog Entries

Long. I don't have corrosive fingers (some folsk kill a set of J74s in a few hours or days). I've had a set on my rarely played bowlback for a couple of years that still sound fine. If I played a lot, I would probably get 4-6 months out of JM11s with my style. When I play less, I get much more time.

Jamie

I have not tried the JazzMando strings yet but was a regular user of the TI mittels and starks, mostly for use with my F-4 in a mandolin orchestra. While I liked their feel and longevity, I grew to dislike them because of their "thuddy" flat (no pun intended) sound. I was very happy when D'Addario introduced their line of FlatTop mando family strings. Using the FT-74s restored some focus, sustain and brightness to my mandolins. Now they are all I use on all of mandolins and mandola (FT-76 for 'dolas). There is almost no string squeek when sliding and no harsh transition from the wound D to the wound A. I have had a set on my F-12 since last June and I was recently complimented on how great it sounds. They're also a lot less expensive than the TI ($12 vs $30+). Try all of the flatwound sets and decide which appeals to you.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Graves View Post
    Jamie, how long a life are we talking for these strings? They're costly, though, I think, right.....cost means a lot here in Canada, I know it does in US also, but here everything is 35% (at least) more than in US by the time you get it.
    I have had my TI's on since March of this year and will probably change them at the 1 year mark. I have never changed them any less than twice a year but usually closer to once a year.