Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Tailpiece

Default James Tailpiece

What are pros of having a James tailpiece installed ? Other than looks and ease of changing strings are there other advantages? I read where some people believe it improves tone but I'm a little suspicious of that.

Default Re: James Tailpiece

I think you already have the answer. Best tailpiece I've ever used but no doubt there will be some who disagree.

The added mass can alter the tone a little as any added mass can at any place on the mandolin. Whether that is an improvement or not will depend upon the person playing or listening. As far as reasons to have one, it is pretty simple from my perspective. It is simply the best made and easiest to use tailpiece on the market. It is very well machined and should last a lifetime. It is the only tailpiece I plan on using on the mandolins I build. I think it is far superior and easier to use than the Allen or Monteleone style. The original Gibson style is a great functioning tailpiece, but has become my second choice simple because the James will outlast it in my opinon. They are equally easy to install. I have a James on my mandolin.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Helps balance the mandolin when it hangs on the strap.
    Harder to loose the cover.
    Won't dent as easy as a stamped tailpiece.
    Gibson can't sue you for using it.
    I'm sure there is more.
    Chris

I wouldn't make a change to the James based on the hope that it would improve tone over another functioning tailpiece. But, if I needed a new tailpiece for any reason, I would definitely get a James.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    I wouldn't make a change to the James based on the hope that it would improve tone over another functioning tailpiece. But, if I needed a new tailpiece for any reason, I would definitely get a James.
    Andrew Mowry will be building me an oval A and I was thinking about having a James installed but I want to make sure I would be getting my dollars worth!

The few I've checked out are very nice. The way it opens/closes/latches is a very smooth mechanism, and the material quality is excellent. If I didn't have Steve G's patented TP (also a very nice piece of hardware), I would get me a James.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Andrew Mowry will be building me an oval A and I was thinking about having a James installed but I want to make sure I would be getting my dollars worth!
    The extra cost of a James over another tailpiece is pretty insignificant compared to the cost of having an entire mandolin built. The main advantage of the James is the hinged door as opposed to a sliding cover. That means a lot to some, nothing to others. How are you going to ensure you "get your dollars worth"? What is it that you're hoping to hear that will confirm that for you.

As for the tone-altering properties of tailpieces, I'm sure you're aware there are differing schools of thought on that. Most people feel it makes little or no difference, tonally.

Comparing the quality of a stamped vintage Gibson style tailpiece to a James is like comparing a Yugo to a Porsche. James tailpieces are high quality components, easy to use, and one of the added benefits is you won't ever misplace the cover.

I installed a James on my Weber Fern and changing strings is now a snap. I used to hate changing strings but now it is as easy as pie! Looks very nice on my Weber also. As for sound, I think my mandolin sounds the same because I think the mass is about the same. The james is a very heavy duty unit. Above post is right, this is how Porsche would design a tailpiece!!!! Nick
    ntriesch

If I were to buy one for my Collings would it be as simple as removing the tailpiece and reinstalling the James or will there be more to it than that (what I am really asking is can I do this at home or do I need a shop to do it)
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

The holes may or may not match up. They should be pretty close. If they do, you can certainly do it when you change strings. If you find it does not line up with the current tailpiece screw holes, then you can drill them or have a luthier do it. Don't do anything you are not comfortable doing yourself. It is not hard or complicated, but you can mess up a mandolin if you do it wrong.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I was lucky, James tailpiece holes do not line up on a Weber but he just happened to have a few in his shop that did line up! I love it, open the door, put on a string, close the door! That's it! Why on earth would you have any other! Just great. Nick
    ntriesch

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    Comparing the quality of a stamped vintage Gibson style tailpiece to a James is like comparing a Yugo to a Porsche. James tailpieces are high quality components, easy to use, and one of the added benefits is you won't ever misplace the cover.
    Exactly. Although I have an old Gibson and the tailpiece is fine. I actually like it. But the James is in different category.

I'm pretty sure if you ask you can get it drilled to fit most of the commonly available mandolins.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Thanks for the Info, I LOVE my Collings but hate changing strings and know
    what a James adds as I had one on a Ellis mandolin. I might have just found my christmas present
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I just really wish you could get a high-quality stamped tailpiece. I know you can get them for cheap, but the cheap ones are really cheap! I know the James are real durable and I like them. But, I'd go for a good quality stamped tailpiece as I think the originals are just fine for me. I just don't need $100.00 worth of string-changing ease, when the stamped tailpieces aren't difficult in the first place.

I do like the James though.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    I just really wish you could get a high-quality stamped tailpiece. I know you can get them for cheap, but the cheap ones are really cheap! I know the James are real durable and I like them. But, I'd go for a good quality stamped tailpiece as I think the originals are just fine for me. I just don't need $100.00 worth of string-changing ease, when the stamped tailpieces aren't difficult in the first place.

I do like the James though.

f-d
    I like the James TP's also.

BTW, First Quality sells a great quality tailpiece and they can do engraving.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I must say, if I had a Collings there is zero chance I would spend money for a replacement tailpiece unless it broke or something. Might be the Yankee in me - but if it ain't broke I don't fix it.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Yes Fat Dad, the stamped tailpiece is not that bad, I will leave it on my Old Gibson A, but the cast unit that was on my Weber hurt my 60 year old hands. Sometimes I don't think mandolin makers think about these things. James tailpiece....no hurt at all. Nick
    ntriesch

I've got a silver James TP that someone had engraved with the '30s style Gibson logo. It's in my parts box, but looks very cool.

Blog Entries

I've got a silver James TP that someone had engraved with the '30s style Gibson logo. It's in my parts box, but looks very cool.
    They do look cool and they are great to use. I had "The Gibson" engraved on a gold James and it really looked nice and was great to use -- let it go with the Fern.

But I'm thinking of doing what you did (30's "Gibson") on another gold one for my Sam Bush. But it is hard to find anyone who will carve the G-word on them!! Even if you are putting in on a G-mandolin!!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    They do look cool and they are great to use. I had "The Gibson" engraved on a gold James and it really looked nice and was great to use -- let it go with the Fern.

But I'm thinking of doing what you did (30's "Gibson") on another gold one for my Sam Bush. But it is hard to find anyone who will carve the G-word on them!! Even if you are putting in on a G-mandolin!!
    I guess you always run the risk of bringing on Gibson's legal team. The "Gibson" engraved James TP that I have came with a used. Gibson mandolin. The original Gibson TP was still in the case pocket, so I re-installed it.

Blog Entries

I guess you always run the risk of bringing on Gibson's legal team. The "Gibson" engraved James TP that I have came with a used. Gibson mandolin. The original Gibson TP was still in the case pocket, so I re-installed it.
    Yeah I've always said what the USA needs is a few thousand more lawyers per square mile!

But I figure it is my mandolin, my tailpiece, and I'll do what I want -- let'em come for me. I live part of the time in mobile home now with a 450 hp diesel that moves me smartly from state to state -- see if they can find me!!!

Seriously, its a silly issue particularly if you are putting it on a Gibson mandolin. I paid a luthier friend who engraves his own James tailpieces for his mandos do it and it was a superb job! I've since learned to do it myself and that's how I'll do this next one.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I really like the engraved James tailpiece and I have had two of them on my Kimbles. The angle has to be just right or the cover will not close correctly and hold the strings as you wind them up. I set it a touch too high unstrung and then when it is strung, it settles in to just the right angle.

I agree that FQMS has a nice quality traditional tailpiece that they will engrave and those are easy enough to change. The Collings tailpieces are great too--anyone know if they are one in the same as the Price tailpieces, as in Gary Price? My absolute favorite was the Ken Oden tailpiece but he is not making them currently. They had a hook that locked in the strings. I wish other tailpieces would use this method.

The heavier, cast tailpieces like Allen (to my ear) add a touch of sustain and bass response which you may or many not desire.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Well now, if I can get a James tailpiece with "The Fatt-Dad," I may reconsider. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A