Thread: christmas tab

Anyone know of a good site for tabs for popular Christmas tunes? Tired Alltabs.com and a few others with little success.

thanks

Roland White has posted tab for "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" along with a sound file. The Christmas book he has is really good too.

Mandozine.com has a few christmas tabs. #You have to download TablEdit, but it's worth it. I started looking for Christmas tunes last night too. #I have two pages with tons of christmas music in standard notation. #Page 1 Page 2

I googled "fiddle christmas tab" and came up with another site: more Christmas tab Fiddle tab is probably easier to find than mando tab, and it works!

Thanks Jen...I don't know why, but I never thought about looking for fiddle tabs...I've been looking for the "classic" tunes (on and off) for a few weeks now...AWESOME!!!!
    PeacE
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by (JenWantstaJam @ Oct. 20 2004, 09:33)
    I googled "fiddle christmas tab" and came up with another site: more Christmas tab #Fiddle tab is probably easier to find than mando tab, and it works!
    There must be something about fiddle tab that isn't inately clear to me. They are all 0-1-2-3, but that must only mean fingers, not equivalent frets on the mando. And what does the "L" above the 2 on the A string mean? I'm guessing (?) that everything is in the key of D and that on the D string "1" means E (2nd fret), "2" means F# (4th fret), and "3" means G (5th fret). On the A string "1" means B (2nd fret), "2" means C# (4th fret), and "3" means D (5th fret). Then the 2 with the "L" means C (3rd fret) instead of C#. Or is A the key of choice for a fiddle, I can't remember. If I had my mando in front of me I'd probably be able to figure this out....

I could really, really use an answer to jefflester's question. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I had a very wrong explation of what I thought it was but I've since looked it up. The numbers are for your fingers. 0 is open, 1 is first finger, 2 is second finger, etc. You put that finger on the string and you get that note. I've never played fiddle so I have no idea what to do if there are no frets. I guess you have to know where to put that finger though as 4 fingers covers 7 frets on the mandolin. Seems it would be pretty hit an miss on a fretless instrument.

I've found most Christmas music if I can get the starting notes the rest I can pick out by ear. Also might want to consider searching for ABC files too and tab them yourself or start learning to read music. Good excerice either way.

and I thought they were some sort of "outside" versions...
    PeacE
    Brian

On a related note(!), has anyone noted out "Sleigh Ride", as performed by Butchie and company on the excellent NME Gifts recording? I'm particularly interested in the 2 solos after Fred Carpenter's head. The soloists were Richard Kriehn and Aubrey Haynie, and each played simply brilliantly.

Fiddle tab is based on finger position. Basically, Index finger=2nd fret, Middle finger=4th fret, Ring finger=5th fret and Pinky= 7th fret. Other positions are indicated with an arrow pointing down of up from the usual position. It's easy just different.
    Lee Hill