Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Made

Default Re: American Made

In photos posted in a different forum discussion, I've noticed an aesthetic upturn in the Shawnee Creek 'F' style (NFI). In my own research for an American luthier, I found a good one in Jonathan Mann, though not at the price point in the discussion here. I was happy to pay a bit more for my Manndolin, knowing that I was supporting in independent builder who was really cool to work with. As for my new American made instrument, you can see photos in the '2 point mandolin' forum discussion. Looks and sounds great.

The Shawnee Creek mandolins have an incredible price tag. Very difficult to judge an instrument from photos, but why did Mike move Florida south of Texas?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Kinn View Post
    ...snip...but why did Mike move Florida south of Texas?
    Now that's funny!..."The Texas fretboard extension"
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

$.02 worth... I would argue that if you buy used, it doesn't matter the original country of origin. If you're buying from an American, the economic transaction is American. You help the local economy, local businesses and local individuals. I feel the same way about cars. You can save quite a bit as well... Buy Used!!! Ha,ha,ha,ha

Oh-oh... Old thread syndrome, I wonder if he bought "The Loar" ha,ha,ha~~~
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

For me personally ... this is a non-issue. I just try to buy the best for the money. Country of origin and whether it's a private owner or large company are irrelevant to me.

This is an interesting discussion. I'm enjoying the different points of view, even thouugh it's drifeted close to "the line". In an global economy the lines get blurred. I have a friend that won't consider a Honda or Toyota even though many models are built in America employing American workers. Regarding Mandolines about Northfield? A five man business of two Americans and three Chinese. The wood is American. The initial work is done in China by true Chinese craftsmen, then set up here by true American craftsmen. Consensus seems to be that these are extremely fine, high quality instruments at a realtively afforadable price. Do Northfield Mandolines meet the standard of American made? I suppose to some, probably not. But neither are they mass produced pac rim. On a certain level I understand the desire to "buy American". But when I am spending my hard earned money I tend to seek the highest quality I can find at the price point I can afford. I bought an Eastman from the Mandolin Store. I am very pleased with the quality of the instrument for what I paid. The Mandolin Store made a profit, which keeps them in business and pays their employees and it doesn't bother me one whit that it was made in China because the craftsmanship is evident.

For me, being able to interact a bit with the luthier as a individual, private artist is also important. In the era of big box shopping, we rarely get that chance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toycona View Post
    For me, being able to interact a bit with the luthier as a individual, private artist is also important. In the era of big box shopping, we rarely get that chance.
    Huge +1! See my earlier post to this thread.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I feel much the way Tacona does. I will say that I could get this same feeling from working with Steve Gilchrist or another small foreign builder. There is something special about the relationship that grows between a builder and buyer. I recently had a very good and close relationship with Andrew Mowry inspite of the huge mile seperation between us. That relationship comes not from the country of origin or distance, but a very intangible relationship where a person is able to build anothers dream. This was especially true of the GOM I had build. Andrew had never built with walnut on any instrument or applied his cool art deco head stock usually used for A models to his GOMS. I have to give Andrew a lot of credit for being willing to try some new ideas. The final result was breathtaking and the sound did not suffer one bit. Buying an instrument from a dealer is great, but having one built by a luthier that matches your dreams, unmatched.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Babasin View Post
    ...Oh-oh... Old thread syndrome, I wonder if he bought "The Loar" ha,ha,ha~~~
    He purchased a Morgan Monroe (product of Asia).
    Bill Snyder

Trying to order a custom Shawnee Creek F5 but it appears he does not ship to Canada. I'm awaiting his reply to my inquiry. I like supporting the little guy USA/Canada type manufacturers whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Well, I'll be darned, never thought I'd agree with jonz, cool!
    I agree too, I respect all craftsman around the world.