Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Made

Blog Entries

Default Re: American Made

Lou, I am right there with you, but there is another thing at work here that has nothing to do with politics...

When one buys an instrument made start-to-finish by an individual, one can contact that individual directly if there is a question, issue or problem with the instrument.

If you have a problem with your Kentucky, for example, you will be contacting a dealer (albeit a VERY knowledgeable dealer if you've gone through a Cafe sponsor) who is distantly removed from the manufacturing of the instrument.

Case in point: I tried to find out what strings came from the factory on my Kentucky KM-172. This information turned-out to be harder to find than nuclear launch codes...Finally, after several weeks and correspondences, David Gartland, the Marketing and Artist Relations Director for Saga Musical Instruments contacted me by e-mail to confirm that "We (Saga) spec. our Kentucky mandolins with GHS light gauge phosphor bronze".

Now, on the other hand, when I have a question about one of my Morris mandolins, I just contact Sonny (the person responsible for every aspect of the build) and I simply ask him...

I find this feature (immediate access to the person responsible for ALL aspects of the build) to be worth a considerable premium.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Per this adjacent thread, OP's now considering The Loar Chinese-built mandolins.

Have to deal with the marketplace as it is, and the scarcity of choices for new low-to-mid-range domestically built instruments. Weigh the different preferences we have: domestic vs. imported, factory vs. small-builder, F-model vs. A-model -- and then come up against the limit of what we're prepared to spend.

Were I to win Powerball, I'd buy a Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5. Just to have the mandolin that everyone says is "the best." But I don't even buy lottery tickets, and I have a world of fun checking out $300 "oldies" and keeping up with the newest Eastman model. In the end, "economics" is the most crucial variable, and it trumps most others.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

It's also worthwhile to keep in mind that pacrim mandolins may be built offshore, but there are American companies such as Saga, the Music Link, etc. that employ a good number of people that contract for the building and importation, then market and distribute them in the US. We're in a global economy, such as it is, so just because something is made offshore doesn't mean there aren't American workers in the mix. As Allen so eloquently puts it, economics is the major driver in our choices these days for most of us, and unfortunately that is a substantially limiting factor.
    Striving for mediocrity and perpetually falling short.

And now we're drifiting into a discussion that could cause us problems.

I felt strongly about buying Americam. I bought a MID MO/Big Muddy M-4 and have never looked back.

If you dig the flat-top mandolin sound, there's really not much reason not to buy an instrument built in the USA if that matters to you, unless you're looking for something at just a couple hundred dollars. But if you want a carved top, maple and spruce construction and especially if you want a scroll then buying American is a huge constraint in the price range mentioned. Not impossible but it's a tough ask. Used is another matter, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Giordano View Post
    I don't know how to say this so I will not offend anyone. I truly don't want to do that. If I am out of line moderators, please dump this post.

I'm 61 and I was unemployed for a year and a half and now consider myself blessed to have a part time job. I bought my Kentucky KM505, not knowing that I could get one of Mikes mandolins for a few bucks more. For me I don't care if Mike's work may not look as good as my 505. I would rather give my money to an individual than a corporation. It's desperate times. I would make that sacrifice to help someone. Just leftovers from my 70s Hippy mentality.
    Don't beat yourself up too much there: If you bought your KM-505 from an independent dealer, then you were still supporting a small business owner, and that's a good thing too.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

^ Good posts, those last two. Totally agree.

This discussion has really gotten away from the main point. I understand theres instruments in south america, australia, europe, new zealand etc.,etc....but im looking for something i can get pretty local. F style f holes, not extremely expensive.

Read all the posts. I think you have gotten about the only answers to your question that you are likely to get - plus a lot of extra responses.
    Handmade F-style mandolins generally take 100-200 hours to build. Materials cost anywhere from $100 - $1000. So for $500 someone is going to use the less expensive set of materials and work for about $3.00 per hour. Even if they do not do any binding, spray finish and don't buff the instrument out and are incredibly speedy they can't be making more than $4 or $5 per hour. Why would they do that?
    Bill Snyder

Bill, Thank you for stating the obvious. I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Bill, Thank you for stating the obvious. I agree with you
    Well whats "obvious" to you may not be "obvious" to me. Ive been playing for barely a year and have only owned a starter Savannah mandolin. Thats why im asking these questions. If i knew that it took 100-200 hours to make one or $3-$5 an hour i wouldnt be here,

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunwillie View Post
    Well whats "obvious" to you may not be "obvious" to me. Ive been playing for barely a year and have only owned a starter Savannah mandolin. Thats why im asking these questions. If i knew that it took 100-200 hours to make one or $3-$5 an hour i wouldnt be here,
    How are you with woodworking? I don't know anything about them but I know there are kits available. Now that you know an American-made, F-style mandolin for $500 doesn't exist, perhaps a kit might be an option.

Now we're starting to get a bit feisty here; let's dial it back. I think, ShotgunW, that we've succeeded in establishing that there really aren't American-made F-model f-hole mandolins for $500 or so. At least not new ones. What Bill S writes about the labor and materials costs involved in building an F-5 type instrument is spot-on. The Shawnee Creek at $650 is the cheapest new US-made F-model I've been able to find -- and, while they may be excellent instruments, I've never had a chance to see or play one.

If you want a US-made, new, F-model mandolin, you're going to have to pay more. If you aren't able to do that, and you are set on an F-model, don't want to buy used, you're going to get an Asian-made instrument. There are good instruments for that price; they probably aren't hand-carved, but they are solid wood (as opposed to laminated), and will undoubtedly be a good step up from the Savannah. Many Cafe members will advise you that you can get "more mandolin for your money" if you get an A-model instead, since the scroll carving adds to the price without improving the sound, but I understand the appeal of the F-style silhouette.

You're already considering one of The Loar mandolins, and that's not a bad way to go. There are also good mid-priced solid-wood Kentucky F-models that Cafe members seem to like. I think some of us were put off by the "AMERICAN!!!" you put in your first post, and we got into a near-political discussion about foreign vs. domestic products, that got us nowhere. Look on this as an attempt to gather information about what's out there in the marketplace, and what the economic realities of mandolin manufacture and sales dictate.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Now we're starting to get a bit feisty here; let's dial it back. I think, ShotgunW, that we've succeeded in establishing that there really aren't American-made F-model f-hole mandolins for $500 or so. At least not new ones. What Bill S writes about the labor and materials costs involved in building an F-5 type instrument is spot-on. The Shawnee Creek at $650 is the cheapest new US-made F-model I've been able to find -- and, while they may be excellent instruments, I've never had a chance to see or play one.

If you want a US-made, new, F-model mandolin, you're going to have to pay more. If you aren't able to do that, and you are set on an F-model, don't want to buy used, you're going to get an Asian-made instrument. There are good instruments for that price; they probably aren't hand-carved, but they are solid wood (as opposed to laminated), and will undoubtedly be a good step up from the Savannah. Many Cafe members will advise you that you can get "more mandolin for your money" if you get an A-model instead, since the scroll carving adds to the price without improving the sound, but I understand the appeal of the F-style silhouette.

You're already considering one of The Loar mandolins, and that's not a bad way to go. There are also good mid-priced solid-wood Kentucky F-models that Cafe members seem to like. I think some of us were put off by the "AMERICAN!!!" you put in your first post, and we got into a near-political discussion about foreign vs. domestic products, that got us nowhere. Look on this as an attempt to gather information about what's out there in the marketplace, and what the economic realities of mandolin manufacture and sales dictate.
    Says the self-appointed spokesman. Maybe you have done some or all of what you suggested but you don't speak for me or others. I simply took the question for what it was. There was no need for it to get political and I think it's a weak defense to blame the wording of the original post for that. Sometimes the best way to avoid saying the wrong thing is to say less to begin with.

Apologies! The "feisty" didn't apply to your well-reasoned postings. I did detect a bit of frustration and combativeness on the part of another poster, and we'd already been warned about venturing into political waters. I did respond to the OP's "AMERICAN!!!", which perhaps I shouldn't have. If I come across pompous, my bad. We did, however, start talking about politics, which is a short cut to a closed thread.

Said all I have to say, perhaps more than I should. "Outta here," as they say...
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

I was not trying to be a smart alec or start anything. I was just trying to let the OP know in an abbreviated form what was involved and why low cost, American, handmade f-style mandolins are just about non-existent.
    Bill Snyder

You could get an Amateur builder's early projects , and encourage him to make more that way,

amortize the tool purchase that they had to buy to make the first few.

Maybe someone who successfully put together a Kit project.

The Classifieds is a good place to communicate on that.

sub $500 and an F5 made in the USA by a major Brand name is a bit wishful

.. in Vespucci Land.
    Last edited by mandroid; Dec-09-2010 at 8:02pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

buy someone's mandolin on craig's list, ebay us or mandolin.cafe classifieds - he's american, you're american ... how all three of you got there is incidental.

For my money, that sums it all up. If the OP reads one post here and takes it on board, it should be that one.

Apologies! The "feisty" didn't apply to your well-reasoned postings. I did detect a bit of frustration and combativeness on the part of another poster, and we'd already been warned about venturing into political waters. I did respond to the OP's "AMERICAN!!!", which perhaps I shouldn't have. If I come across pompous, my bad. We did, however, start talking about politics, which is a short cut to a closed thread.

Said all I have to say, perhaps more than I should. "Outta here," as they say...
    Yeah, my apologies too. I didn't mean to sound as critical as I did. I think the OP did leave the door open to a political discussion with his capitalized postscript but I also think it was an easy discussion to avoid.

I think that wanting to buy something made by American craftsmen is perfectly admirable, but nowadays only really practical above a certain price point (with a very small number of exceptions).

If you have upwards of three thousand dollars to spend it is probably still the smartest way to go too, but in the budget range, overseas makers have simply overtaken the domestic manufacturers in what is a long-established and surely understandable economic process. The cost-efficient manufacturing of everything from toasters to automobiles to oil tankers has shifted to the East in recent decades, and quality guitars have been made in the Far East for more than fifty years already.

The market is ever-changing, and only in the last 12 months it has changed again, with the emergence of reasonable quality budget instruments that no longer suffer from the 'normal' low-end failings. Brands coming out of China such as Eastman and The Loar and (I believe) Kentucky and others are now giving folks who don't have thousands to spend a chance to get started with instruments that, if we are honest about it, are better than beginners have ever had, even back in the 'golden era' when most of the mandolins seemed to come out of Kalamazoo.

There may be elements of it that grate a little, but it's called progress.

ron

Alright. Ive been weighing my options. I had my mind SET on "The Loar" 500, but after hearing that its not worth the price of the 600 or even the 400 Im open to more brands, imports, whatever...A style f style...etc.,etc. The only thing i want really is something nicer WITH ff holes. I personally dont care for the O or D holes. So any suggestions would be greatly aprreciated.

Blog Entries

Consider the new line of Eastmans, the 305 is under $500. It has a stamped tailpiece, budget (but functional tuners) and a matte finish, or look into a used Eastman 505 or 605 (A style with F holes). Many people also highly recommend the Kentucky km505 as a very nice affordable mandolin.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Shotgunwillie, If your still opting for an american made mandolin which I admire you might try looking up Bernard Allen from Naylor, MO. I had a custom made F style mandolin made several years back (my first) for $700.00 which turned out to be a great mandolin which I still own. Not sure if he's still around. Try searching on the Cafe. He built as a hobby and sold on Ebay. If you decide to go with an import I would highly suggest a used JBovier. You can easily pick these up for around $600 and in my opinion are much better than anything else out there. Really surprisingly great sounding mandolins for the price.