Thread: Used MAndolins for a beginner

Default Used MAndolins for a beginner

Hey Yall,

Ive been teaching myself for about a year, and have recently started taking lessons. Im looking to upgrade from Savannah SA-100 Mandolin to something pretty nice. Im looking for something used and most likely American made. At most $700. Any suggestions? Thanks

Will

Default Re: Used MAndolins for a beginner

Looking for American made at that price is going to be tough. Try local shops. You are most likely going to go with an A style. Not American but some of the mid range Kentucky's would be nice. Shop on-line at places like the Mandolin Store, Elderly, Janet Davis, etc. That will give you a good idea of what is out there and what the price ranges are. The best thing is to get to one of these stores with a good selection. Spend some time with several nice instruments and start to form your own opinions about what you like.

Then spend as much as you can to get the nicest instrument that sounds best to you. Don't pay for frills or looks. Just get the one that sounds best. If you are really loaded one day, you can go for all those nice to have decorative items. Right now you just want to be able to play something that sounds great.

Alright sounds good. Do you kniow anything about Morgan Monroe mandolins?

At $700 max you should be able to find some excellent quality and fine sounding mandolins which should serve you for a long time. One suggestion I might make from experience is the Big-Muddy (oval which is well within your price range. American made, excellent reputation, (see comments and reviews of them on this site),

I think that puts you in the realm of a mandolin called "The Loar" which has models in your price range and has excellent reviews on this site.

Another on line site to examine is Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, New York... the mecca of instrument stores... They sell no junk and their prices are good. Google them and have a ball looking at their selection. and if you ever get up NYC way spend an afternoon there... a great experience.

Good luck, but I don't think you need it at that price range if you shop and research carefully.

Bart McNeil
    Bart McNeil

Correction:

Made an error in my above comment. Big-Muddy has a round hole, not oval.
    Bart McNeil

There's a Breedlove Quartz KF in the classifieds for $950 that you should well consider....NFI.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunwillie View Post
    Hey Yall,

Ive been teaching myself for about a year, and have recently started taking lessons. Im looking to upgrade from Savannah SA-100 Mandolin to something pretty nice. Im looking for something used and most likely American made. At most $700. Any suggestions? Thanks

Will
    Hi Will: Congratulations on your upcoming upgrade! I'd look at:

* Used Breedlove Quartz/American series O-style mandolins (OO & OF).
    * Used Howard Morris A-Style mandolins (A4 oval hole or A5 f-hole) [see the links in my signature for examples]
    * A new Shawnee Creek Two-Point or F-Style.

Be sure to keep us posted.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkitownPicker View Post
    There's a Breedlove Quartz KF in the classifieds for $950 that you should well consider....NFI.
    I also think there is a Quartz OF listed for $750...NFI either.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

I would support the Breedlove suggestion as well. Ones can often be found in the $700 neighborhood. I know it is $50 above your max, but that Quartz OF in the classifieds would be worth considering.

Thanks for all the info! Ill have to look into all of these mandos and sellers. Im not really into the round or oval holes as much as the f holes. I was looking at "The Loar" but whats the problem with the name? I know Lloyd Loar made a mandolin for Gibson but why are people so mad about the company?

Blog Entries

Many folks here believe that "The Loar" is an unfortunate name for a line of mandolins because it is obviously an attempt to receive beneficial market acceptance by association with the person responsible for the legendary Gibson mandolins made by Loyd Loar.

Imagine if a Japanese auto maker decided to name one of their automotive lines "The Henry Ford" sedans.

That said, many here have stated that they believe 'The Loar' mandolins are fine value instruments, especially for entry level players (I have no personal experience with them).

Finally, I concur with your preference for an f-hole mandolin, and believe it is a wise choice for a first mandolin. Although I love the sound of oval hole mandolins, they are not nearly as versatile (IMO) as f-hole mandolins.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I bought a used, f-hole, A-style, blonde, bent top Arches mandolin the classifieds a while back that has a really nice tone and GREAT playability/setup with a slightly arched fingerboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunwillie View Post
    Thanks for all the info! Ill have to look into all of these mandos and sellers. Im not really into the round or oval holes as much as the f holes. I was looking at "The Loar" but whats the problem with the name? I know Lloyd Loar made a mandolin for Gibson but why are people so mad about the company?
    The Loar was always like the Holy Grail, nearly un obtainable except for the wealthy. Just pretty presumptuous to name a Asian made mandolin to that lofty level.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

If you're open to an A-style mandolin then for about $100-150 more than your budget you could pick up something like this '88 Flatiron Performer A that's in the classifieds here (NFI on my part by the way, just seems like a good price for an American made instrument). Also might be able to find used Weber Gallatins for about $100 more than your price range. Here's a link to that Flatiron...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Many folks here believe that "The Loar" is an unfortunate name for a line of mandolins because it is obviously an attempt to receive beneficial market acceptance by association with the person responsible for the legendary Gibson mandolins made by Loyd Loar.

Imagine if a Japanese auto maker decided to name one of their automotive lines "The Henry Ford" sedans.

That said, many here have stated that they believe 'The Loar' mandolins are fine value instruments, especially for entry level players (I have no personal experience with them).

Finally, I concur with your preference for an f-hole mandolin, and believe it is a wise choice for a first mandolin. Although I love the sound of oval hole mandolins, they are not nearly as versatile (IMO) as f-hole mandolins.
    I understand now. Great metaphor by the way!

I can't suggest particular models but have a meta-suggestion. You seem to have an idea of what you like in a mandolin. Stick with it.

If you want a carved-top instrument with ff-holes because that's the sound you dig, then get a carved-top, ff-hole mandolin. Don't decide on the spur of the moment that an oval-hole this, flat-top that or bowlback the other is too good a deal to pass up. Something that ain't what you want is never a good deal.

I'd suggest also deciding up front if you like A-style or F-style and shopping for that. If you want a scroll, then saving a couple hundred bucks but not getting a scroll is false economy. Or equally likely, if you want an A-style don't be swayed by a good deal on an F-style that "doesn't cost any more than an A". Not usually true, the market generally prices in the widespread desirability of the Florentine style and if it's not as expensive as you'd expect, there's probably some reason why.

My first mandolin was a flat-top. I like the flat-top sound a lot, it was fun to play. But I like the carved-top, ff-hole sound even better so that's what I ended up with. Knowing what you really, really like sooner rather than later saves a lot of money and energy (unless of course you enjoy buying and selling instruments, which some people do but I don't).

Blog Entries

If you asked me, I'd go for the best f-hole instrument you can buy. The used Weber, Flatiron, or Breedlove mentioned above are quality instruments and you're right around the price where you can buy a quite good used instrument. I'd seriously consider that.

As Brent mentioned ... if you have scroll envy, then for goodness sakes get one with a scroll. I'm quite happy with my A-style, and still get the longing for some extra curves now and then if just to distract from my sketchy looks. That said, when I closed my eyes I liked the A-style mandolin I took home best ... in terms of sound, an A-style I think gives you the best bang for your buck under a couple of grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
    I can't suggest particular models but have a meta-suggestion. You seem to have an idea of what you like in a mandolin. Stick with it.

If you want a carved-top instrument with ff-holes because that's the sound you dig, then get a carved-top, ff-hole mandolin. Don't decide on the spur of the moment that an oval-hole this, flat-top that or bowlback the other is too good a deal to pass up. Something that ain't what you want is never a good deal.

I'd suggest also deciding up front if you like A-style or F-style and shopping for that. If you want a scroll, then saving a couple hundred bucks but not getting a scroll is false economy. Or equally likely, if you want an A-style don't be swayed by a good deal on an F-style that "doesn't cost any more than an A". Not usually true, the market generally prices in the widespread desirability of the Florentine style and if it's not as expensive as you'd expect, there's probably some reason why.

My first mandolin was a flat-top. I like the flat-top sound a lot, it was fun to play. But I like the carved-top, ff-hole sound even better so that's what I ended up with. Knowing what you really, really like sooner rather than later saves a lot of money and energy (unless of course you enjoy buying and selling instruments, which some people do but I don't).

Brent, thats what Im looking for, something that I like. not everybody else. I like the ff hole, f style, mandolins.