Thread: Dudenbostel Mandola Project Pictorial

Default Dudenbostel Mandola Project Pictorial

Hi folks... back a few years ago, I posted a series of photos of a couple of mandolins I was building. I thought I might do it again, but start a bit earlier, during the pattern and fixture development. If you'd like to follow along, I'll post photos and some text with each on my "Lynn Dudenbostel Mandolins and Guitars" Facebook page. Here's the link....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lynn-D...42462402471568

Hope that worked... I'm sure I'll have to edit it, or ask for help! I think if you "Like" the page, you'll get a Facebook notification each time I update the page. I intend to post photos each week thru the entire construction and finishing process. If this goes well, maybe I'll do it with a mandolin and guitar as well.

Thanks....
    Lynn

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dudenbostel Mandola Project Pictorial

The link worked fine for me. It's always so cool to see how builders do their thing. Thanks, Dude!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I've never been so sorely tempted to join facebook! It'd be nice to get the updates automatically, but I'll probably just check back compulsively instead.

I hope folks can access these without joining Facebook. My intent is NOT to get people to join.... I was dragged kicking and screaming into Facebook earlier this year. I thought about doing a blog, but this is an easy way for me to post the photos.... and I'm all about "easy"! More shop time that way.
    Lynn

Lynn, I checked and you do not have to be a member to view your facebook page. It has to do with the privacy settings and yours apparently are set for public viewing. Of course as blauserk noted since he is not a facebook member he will not be notified when there are updates. My guess is that non-members that are interested in such things will manage to check in fairly often.
    In case you are not aware of it your instruments are held in high regard by more than just a few folks.
    Bill Snyder

Lynn,

Your web pictorial essays on mandolin construction have proved extremely valuable to me in the past... (http://dudenbostel.leanside.com/1.html )

I've probably learned more about construction, tooling and theory from you then I have from any other single source. I think it's fabulous how you are willing to share your knowledge with others.

Many thanks,
    Rob
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

Looks great Lynn, and I'll be following the page as you update it. BTW as others pointed out already, the page is viewable to the public and not need to join Facebook to see it.

Why not just have a facebook style site called, MandoBook.com

Maple Maker

Thanks, Lynn. Nice of you to do this. You'll have a lot of gawkers...
    Jack C.
    non illegitimati carborundum

Nope--no need to join to look; I've already downloaded many great pix of mandos in process from your Facebook page. And I would probably check it every week anyway regardless. Looks cool!

Lynn

Its interesting to see your workshop in 2002. As a mandolin player I had no idea the amount of setup required in terms of tools skill and time to get an F5 built. Its certainly interesting to see & gives one a new appreciation of why a good mandolin costs so much money!
    Last edited by mccartjt; Oct-23-2011 at 11:43am. Reason: typo

Just to let you folks know, there are a few more photos up this evening. It does take quite a bit of equipment to build a mandolin... especially if you are trying to make a living at it. It can be done with less than I have, but not near as efficiently. A good friend of mine is getting into bicycle frame building (as a hobby). At the class he took this spring, he found out it takes about $15,000 just to get the tools and fixtures to build your first frame. While I'd love to get into this as a hobby as well, I can buy all of the factory built frames and a few custom frames that I'll ever want for this kind of money! Just about any venture like this takes quite a bit of money to start, and if you progress to the point where you are making a living at it, insurance, taxes, mortgage or rent on a building... that's just the tip of the iceberg! But, I wouldn't trade my "job" for anything.