Thread: Silly pick question but....

Default Silly pick question but....

I have been playing with a golden gate pick which gives a very mellow tone so I decided to add a blue chip pick for when I play a lot of single notes and it’s really lovely. The rather stupid question, there is apparently a right and left handed pick. I’m right handed and I can see that there is a bevel .... I have been playing with the embossed writing is against my thumb. Is that correct ? I read the description on the blue chip website and found it to be a bit cryptic. I can’t believe that in all the years that I have been playing string instruments I never knew this ! Crazy !

Thanks so much
    Victoria

Blog Entries

Default Re: Silly pick question but....

I know it stretches the imagination, but either side will be fine. Kinda hard to explain but geometry is geometry.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

The presence of a bevel gives the pick a particular HANDEDNESS -- just like the handedness of a screw, or of a propeller. And, just as with a screw thread or a propeller, it does not matter which way it happens to be facing: the handedness is exactly the same. So, you can pick up your BlueChip with the engraved side facing either towards or away from your palm: it doesn't matter! A beveled pick does not have a favored face.

A beveled pick does, however, have a favored 'tilt' with respect to the strings, which refers to whether the thinner or thicker part of the edge contacts the string first during the pickstroke. And THAT's the difference between left- and right-hand bevels. If, for example, you happen to contact the strings during your natural pickstroke with a reverse tilt (and some folks do!), then you will likely prefer a pick with the opposite bevel, e.g., a left-hand bevel for a right-handed player. That said, most right-handers will use a right-handed bevel. Got it? If not, then look more carefully at your pick, and the angle you contact the string with your natural grip.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    If ... you happen to contact the strings during your natural pickstroke with a reverse tilt ...
    On the outside chance that you've used the same pick for the last 6 or 8 years, it may have developed it's own bevel naturally. That's the bevel your new pick should have.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

6. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Carl23 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic1 View Post
    I have been playing with a golden gate pick which gives a very mellow tone so I decided to add a blue chip pick for when I play a lot of single notes and it’s really lovely. The rather stupid question, there is apparently a right and left handed pick. I’m right handed and I can see that there is a bevel .... I have been playing with the embossed writing is against my thumb. Is that correct ? I read the description on the blue chip website and found it to be a bit cryptic. I can’t believe that in all the years that I have been playing string instruments I never knew this ! Crazy !

Thanks so much
    Victoria
    Hey there! Look at your pick. Is the bevel on the left or the right side of each point? Right side = right hand bevel, because both faces of the pick have the same bevel. That means if you look *through* the pick to the side touching the string, ideally that beveled edge would contact first. The bevel helps the pick move through the string, and also reduces pick noise in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post
    Hey there! Look at your pick. Is the bevel on the left or the right side of each point? Right side = right hand bevel, because both faces of the pick have the same bevel. That means if you look *through* the pick to the side touching the string, ideally that beveled edge would contact first. The bevel helps the pick move through the string, and also reduces pick noise in my experience.

That’s it ! It really helped with tremolo. I always play guitar and uke with no pick, so I had no idea how much difference a pick made..and I was further surprised that the blue chip pick that I swore I would never buy, was a game changer.

This is an amazing response. I can’t believe you were able to verbalize that in a way that I actually understood it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    The presence of a bevel gives the pick a particular HANDEDNESS -- just like the handedness of a screw, or of a propeller. And, just as with a screw thread or a propeller, it does not matter which way it happens to be facing: the handedness is exactly the same. So, you can pick up your BlueChip with the engraved side facing either towards or away from your palm: it doesn't matter! A beveled pick does not have a favored face.

A beveled pick does, however, have a favored 'tilt' with respect to the strings, which refers to whether the thinner or thicker part of the edge contacts the string first during the pickstroke. And THAT's the difference between left- and right-hand bevels. If, for example, you happen to contact the strings during your natural pickstroke with a reverse tilt (and some folks do!), then you will likely prefer a pick with the opposite bevel, e.g., a left-hand bevel for a right-handed player. That said, most right-handers will use a right-handed bevel. Got it? If not, then look more carefully at your pick, and the angle you contact the string with your natural grip.