Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom F Style

Ok, I'm starting a savings account with the goal of investing in a custom built F style.

What I'm lookin for is suggestions on builders that I may not already know about to look into.

Here's what I'm looking for...

Need to be able to choose the finish color and type. Custom inlay/headstock/binding options is a bonus but not a requirment. In terms of looks, attractive finish and pretty wood is more imporant to me than inlay/decoration.

I want a radius fretboard and large frets.

Mandolin will be used almost exclusively for bluegrass, so I'm looking for bark, volume, and I prefer tone that tends a little toward the dark and throaty side.

It's gonna be awhile before I have the cash saved for this, so i'm mostly lookin for an idea of how much and how long I'll need to save and motivation to keep after it

If I were having one built, I think I'd go with Jim Hilburn. His work is incredibly beautiful, with a great attention to detail.

check out Glenn mandolins in the builder section. Very nice guy and beautiful mandos.

Guess it depends on your ultimate budget. I'm on that path to custom world as well and my decision came down to Jim Hilburn and Jamie Wiens. Both build great instruments. Ultimately, Jamie had a shorter waitlist and was more in line with what I was looking for. But Jim builds some of the most technically perfect mandos around.

Ben Wilcox(BRW), Darby Woofer, Hans Brentrup, Keith Newell, Kimble, Jim Parker. All these guys make A+ mandos.

Plenty!

The one I'd watch Andrew Poe at Driftwood who produces some of the most interesting woods/ bindings IMO. Have a peek at his gallery... Also, Brunkalla, Pomeroy, Laurie Williams, etc. It really depend on how much you'll manage to save before MAS strikes!

Try Paul Newson, (look in th4 builders section on the front page). I've had one of his F-5's for a long time now and wouldn't trade it for anything. If you want to see one, look at the "wallpaper" section of the downloads from the front page. He is one of the most reasonably priced small builders and one really great guy to work with. You can get a solid recommendation for him from Gryphon Stringed Instruments (they have a web site, but I don't have the URL handy).
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

A. Lawrence Smart ... Has built killer instruments for several of the "big guys" (Marshall, Reischman, Simpkins, etc) ... prices are probably low for the quality delivered and he's a GREAT guy to know and work with!!

http://smart-instruments.com/

Hope this helps!

WJF
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com

I've been very pleased with my mando built by Larry Muth. He builds fine mandolins and you get the break on the Canadian exchange rate as a bonus. Very easy to work with.
    Dave in Loveland, OH
    dvoyles276@fuse.net

I have been playing a Siren String Works F-5 model for almost two years now and it's a great instrument. #Steve does a good varnish finish, prices are reasonable, worked with me on some custom things. Very trad F-5 type tone.
    Siren String Works

many builders build a great mandolin. so it comes down to the consistancy of the builder and the price if I had money which I dont I would get a Hilburn due to the flawless workmanship if the exterior of his mandos look as good as they do I know he has taken the time to graduate the plates and place the tone bars correctly as well but I dont have that kind of money so I would go with #a Buddy Davis with 40 years of experience you cant go wrong if you are into some monster tone look at one of his. and the price is right. of course I think the Rose's are nice as well.

Rose mandos and the tone they produce

I agree with Rose #1. Hilburn makes a sweet looking instrument along with Hans Brentrup. These guys have something to inspire you every time they post pics of there newest instruments.
    Keith

There have been many great builders mentioned. I have mandos from BRW, Newson and Brentrup and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. A couple that haven't yet been mentioned are Old Wave and Michael Lewis (both of whom contribute to the Cafe). I've also had the pleasure to play instruments from Michael Heiden and Ron Cole that are great. Part of what you need to know is what price range you want. Brentrup and Michael Lewis will probably cost you $8,000 or more these days. BRW, Old Wave, Newson are in the $4,000 to $5,000 range and probably a shorter wait. Where do you live? Go to some jams and see what folks are playing. They will probably let you try them. Also, there are probably Cafe members near you someplace with custom instruments you could try.
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Jaded, do yourself a favor and put at least a hint of location in your profile. Your custom builder might live right down the street, but no one told you.
    Wye Knot

I have a Silverangel by Ken Ratcliff which I am very pleased with. Mine has the radiused fretboard, big frets and throaty sound that you're looking for. I can't speak as to his consistency as it's the only one of his mandolins I've ever seen.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

$3500 Stiver F with a radiused fretboard. Dollar for dollar as good as anything on the market. And Lou will make it how you want it!

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Also take a look at Andrew Mowry's mandos. Mowry
    I love the color and staining on both of those but particularly the one with in the green background. Kind of has that old hand-stained looks of the early Flatiron mandos. Plus, his prices are great.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

I'm with WJF.....I think Lawrence Smart represents a very good value.......he isn't a hot new guy on the block, he has a lot of instruments under his belt....Here are my 2 Smart's: http://www.smithfowler.org/music/mandolin/smart/

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Art...I lust after that two point...but I digress...

There are so many fine builders on this board alone.....my current favorite besides Art's Smart is the Arrow G...a magnificent looking creature.

I also agree with lee957...tell us where you are generally...for example, if you're in va, Buddy Davis, Dr. Dave Cohen, Will Parsons (west va), Wayne Henderson, Geoff Stelling, John Hamlett (sunburst), Darby Boofer (rose#1)...the list is long...

A lot of them have websites too....
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

I live in central North Carolina. Theres only a small handful of mando players at the jams I make it to. One guy has an awesome Randy Wood and another has a Tucker I'd kill for, other than that I've seen a couple of Shues, which I just didn't like much, a couple lower end Gibsons and Webers, one Collings and then various import models.

The Tucker is my favorite of the bunch, followed by an Apitus that an out of towner brought through once then the Randy Wood.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Keep em coming

A lot of people speak highly of Rose mandolins, Is Bluemont, VA anywhere near you?
    Have you offered your friend money for his Tucker? (Everything is for sale.)
    Wye Knot

Fletcher Brock, Jamie Weins, Lawrence Smart. A friend has a terrific Michael Heiden on Ebay right now. Might want to look at that one. The pic on Ebay is bad, but the mando is great.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I saw Jim Hilburn on Saturday, and he actually has one of his up for sale. #$5k takes it home... and no wait. I believe he said it's #31.

Mandofiddle

Well, tell us more about that Hilburn.

While I did talk briefly with Dave the other night and did mention that this one is available, he really didn't get the whole story.
    I have a list of people I have to go through first.