Thread: Mid-range Kentucky and Loar mandolins

Default Mid-range Kentucky and Loar mandolins

I'm looking for a 2nd mandolin, mid-range, solid wood. I'm looking at
    Kentucky km-254 (I just like the finish over 250)
    Kentucky km-350
    Kentucky km-505
    Loar LM-300
    Loar LM-400

Any thoughts on these?

I live in a part of the country where there is no way to get my hands on these. I've listened to clips online, an admittedly terrible way to judge a mandolin. Here are my reactions: km 254 and 350 sound pretty amazing for the price. Not sure if there is really any difference, or if the new 250 series (over old 250 S) is going to replace the 350 series. Actually, the km-505 sounds brasher and less melodious to me. The LM-300 and 400 sound sweet and melodious, but for some reason less dynamic.

Main questions: Overall KM-254 versus LM-300. Is the KM-505 worth the extra $$ over the KM-254? Is the LM-400 worth the extra $$ over the LM-300?

Thanks much!

Default Re: Mid-range Kentucky and Loar mandolins

I wouldn't put any meaningful weight on comparing sound clips online. Maybe if it's the same player doing the same song under the same recording conditions in each case you can get a sense of tonal balance and basic timbre and sustain of two specific instruments but from a typical hodgepodge of different demos there's not much in it.

Haven't played an LM 300 yet, but I've owned a number of Kentuckys (MIJ KM 1802; MIJ KM 700; MIK KM 750 and another F and another A that I can't recall model numbers on). Didn't keep any of them. LOVE the LM 400.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Totally hear you. Just grasping at straws. Hopefully some knowledgeable folks will have some sage advice.

I haven't compared the listed mandolins. I can confirm that the recording of the KM-254 on The Mandolin Store site is similar to the tone from my KM-254. Full disclosure: I purchased my mando from The Mandolin Store but since the recording was online before my mandolin arrived at the store I am certain it is recorded from a different instrument.

I've found the KM-254 to be a good first mandolin once I sorted out some setup problems. (Truss rod adjustment, filling and recutting 3 nut slots by Gryphon.)

I've played a KM-505 and LM-400 and liked both. The jumbo frets and slightly wider fretboard (very slightly) on the LM-400 make it more comfy to play IMO. And the KM-505's sound has a bit more midrange emphasis. But the differences between them really are slight, they're more alike than different.

An LM-300 will play and sound a lot like an LM-400. Don't know much about the non-505 Kentucky models. On a tight budget I'd personally go with the LM-300 of the ones you listed. And I'd get it from a dealer who offers an ability to try it out, either in person or with the ability to send it back. Because you never really know if you like it until you've played the actual mandolin in question.

I am currently playing an LM400 and I really love it! I don't like the bigger frets, but that is easy for me to change. I don't know if I will bother though. I put a good CA bridge on it, dressed the frets and set it up really well and took the lacquer off the back of the neck and applied french polish to the bare wood. Plays fast, plays great, and sounds incredible. I can't believe an instrument of this quality can be had for such a little amount of money. Any of the lower priced instruments need quite a bit of setup and prep work, but once that is done, it will play and sound like a MUCH more expensive mandolin.

One of the former Gibson Bluegrass employees was in the shop last Friday. He picked up my LM400 prepared to be disappointed. He said, "Wow! This sounds as good as any of the Gibson A's I've played.". I had to agree. It makes me want to play. I have had several of these through our shop and every one was good. If you are looking for a very good A model mandolin for not a lot of money, it is hard to beat!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Since you are having to buy sight unseen, just arrange to get one from Big Joe with the setup done and you will be good to go.

I've played a lot of Kentucky KM-505's because my local music shop is a Kentucky dealer - I think they're great mandolins for the money but the downside is that recently they've been quite difficult to find in stock anywhere. Aside from the difference in neck profile/fret size between the Kentucky and the Loar LM400, the other notable difference is that the KM-505 has a radius fretboard and the LM400 has a flat fretboard, so depending on your preference that might sway your decision as well. A friend of mine started playing mandolin (first ever instrument, no prior music experience) a few months ago, and started out on a Kentucky KM-172, which has a flat board, but after picking up my mandolin a few times (which has a radius board) she found that she far preferred the radius, and has since moved up the mandolin food chain to an instrument with a radius fretboard.

Cheers,
    Jill
    Last edited by Jill McAuley; Nov-29-2010 at 10:53am.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Although I must add to Jill's comment my own observation that my friend Lou's KM-505 has a fairly slight radius while the LM-400 I used to own was actually rolled off very slightly on each side of the fretboard. So the LM isn't as flat as some and the KM isn't as radiused as some but there is still a difference most people would probably notice.

I think I prefer the radius but have never actually played one that is ruler-flat from edge to edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I am currently playing an LM400 and I really love it! I don't like the bigger frets, but that is easy for me to change. I don't know if I will bother though. I put a good CA bridge on it, dressed the frets and set it up really well and took the lacquer off the back of the neck and applied french polish to the bare wood. Plays fast, plays great, and sounds incredible. I can't believe an instrument of this quality can be had for such a little amount of money. Any of the lower priced instruments need quite a bit of setup and prep work, but once that is done, it will play and sound like a MUCH more expensive mandolin.

One of the former Gibson Bluegrass employees was in the shop last Friday. He picked up my LM400 prepared to be disappointed. He said, "Wow! This sounds as good as any of the Gibson A's I've played.". I had to agree. It makes me want to play. I have had several of these through our shop and every one was good. If you are looking for a very good A model mandolin for not a lot of money, it is hard to beat!
    Hey Big Joe -- I have a "Champion" tenor banjo I'm getting ready to sell. Was going to start with $250 in local Craigslist. Interested in a trade-in? If interested, I'll send pics.

The neck on the LM400 is regular sized rather than the big ball bat neck profile of the F models. It plays very good. Personally I do like smaller frets, but that is not really a big issue in my mind. Overall it is been a great mandolin as have all the ones I've seen so far.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Thanks for all the input everyone! I hear a lot of good response for the Loar LM400. I'm leaning heavily towards that. I like the idea of a wider neck and thicker frets. I also like the idea of a radiused finger board, but it sounds like the LM400 has a little bit.

I want to ask next about purchasing choices, but I think it should be in another thread. I'm looking forward to hearing back from Big Joe.

I set up mandolins for TML Knoxville warehouse and we shipments of LM-400s in every couple of weeks. They usually come in 12-16 at a time and go out quickly. They are consistently good mandolins and some of them just bark. I really would like to get one for myself.

The LM-300 look similar to the LM-400, but with flowerpot instead of fern. They are also finished with poly, but it appear to be a light finish and doesn't look much different. The 300 has tone bars while the 400 has none. The tone on the 300 is a little less woody and maybe slightly more compressed. But they seem to be of equal quality.

Thanks for the input George. I am leaning towards trading my Mid-Mo for an LM-400.

Jeff