Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman "Economy" Model

Default Eastman "Economy" Model

Anyone in a position to share more information on Eastman's economy model (see, e.g. http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9222)? Are they only offering the f-style in the "300 series" or is an a-style (304/305) also in a line up?

Default Re: Eastman "Economy" Model

There is an MD305 also. To my knowledge no plans for an oval hole. We'll have somewhere around 20 of those within the next week to ten days. It will be $399 with a hard case
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Dennis, will the economy A style have the original Eastman A style headstock shape or the rumored but not yet seen Eastman snakehead style headstock?

Mike - good question. I've not see one of them yet but I'd guess the new headstock. The last shipment we received wof MD505's and MD504s had the new headstock as does the MD605 currently in stock. Those are all pictures on our site with the new headstock pics. Eastman is shipping these new 300 series in gig bags but I hate shipping anything in a gig bag so we're putting basic hard cases with them.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

$399.00 for an Eastman A style sounds pretty good actually. Any leftys in this batch?

I'm fairly certain you won't see this economy mandolin in anything other than the 2 base models. I was surprised to see these considering the fact that they have not been able to keep the 500 series productions numbers up to meet the demand.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

What are the disadvantages of this economy model? Surely there has to be something missing from their higher end models?

I applaud Eastman for going in this direction. Many players want a bare-bones mandolin of quality and this design looks like just that. And if these are as good as their other mandolins, they probably won't be able to make enough of them.

I remember back in the day when Larrivee started making their lower-end, matte-finished guitars as a limited run. They ended up selling so many they became a standard model---and it seems like I read somewhere that they became their most popular models (I even own one).

It just makes good sense to build instruments like these.

If I had known about the Eastman economy F-style I would likely have bought it instead of the Rover RM-75 I bought. I really like the understated appearance, it reminds me so much of the custom Weber Bitterroot I owned about 10 years ago.

Is the matte finish the way they're able to keep the price down on this model?
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

I'm sure that's one of the ways they keep the price down, there has to be more.

Blog Entries

The description says stamped tailepiece (different from what is pictured). That can save ~$90 retail pricing. There are economy tuners as well (maybe another $90-100??) and the easier finish could add up to the $300 difference between the 315 and the 515. The woods look nice too.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

No purfling on the back, no purfling around the headstock, no fancy inlay in the headstock. That all saves on labor, and in MY opinion improves the looks. I don't like ornate mandolins.

Do any Eastman's have fancy inlay on the headstock? Mine didn't have it years ago.

Blog Entries

Mike, None of the Eastman mandolins have anything on the headstock other than the name. There were, of course a couple of exceptions with some extra bits between the tuners but those are one offs. Maybe they use a decal on this instead of an inlaid Eastman (like Weber does on their more economical models). The Mandolin Store's description didn't say one way or another. Honestly, the binding scheme looks the same as the 515. I think the difference lies in the tuners, tailpiece, and finish. Hopefully, Dennis can chime in again.

If Eastman can introduce an A style for ~$400 that's really going to make things interesting for a lot of folks getting their first or second instrument, I think. That's right in the range of the Kentucky 505 and $100 less than The Loar A style.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

A sub $400 Eastman would directly compete with the The Loar LM-300 and the Kentucky KM-254. Assuming that Eastman manufactures to their expected standards, that's a pretty nice cluster of instruments in the "serious beginner" price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nelson View Post
    No purfling on the back, no purfling around the headstock, no fancy inlay in the headstock. That all saves on labor, and in MY opinion improves the looks. I don't like ornate mandolins.
    I agree -- and I like that their economy line does not have a bound fingerboard. I'm not sure if dumping the fretboard binding contributes to the overall savings, since often even cheapie eBay MSO's have bound fretboards, but I like that change.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

I vote for making these in oval-hole versions, too.

I'm thinking it would be really decent beginner or a great backup.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'm thinking it would be really decent beginner or a great backup.
    .....as well as potentially a main instrument for those of us who can't find or justify paying three times that amount for a 'middling' mandolin.

I wonder if the manufacturers have spotted a big hole in the market, one plugged by better-than-starter-quality instruments at around or even below the $500 mark. Marketers will surely have identified the price point at which sales quickly open up because cash-cautious consumers finally spot a quality product at a price that suits them. The Loar, Kentucky - and now Eastman - may be just the first of the makers to target that market. And if they do so, that will be to the benefit of us all, since if a decent The Loar A costs under $500, makers might be forced to review their margins on their more expensive instruments, drawing down some mid-range prices.

In some matters at least, my optimism is almost boundless.

rm
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Oct-24-2010 at 8:58am.

Blog Entries

To follow your thought, Ron ... hopefully it will also drive more poor quality starter instruments off the market. There will always be a market for dirt cheap - but this might skew better instruments into the hands of people just trying out the mandolin.

I count that as a win, despite perhaps more competition.

Markus - I hope you are right, though perhaps you're asking for a little much. But whatever else this change in the market causes, it is already doing us good. I've been interested in the LM400 and LM300 from The Loar, but their success has been so marked that supply falls w-a-y behind demand; I have moaned here before about the complete absence of these models from the small British market. Eastman, on the other hand, are far better represented in the UK, so now I wonder if the new economy models are in line to be sold in Britain. Maybe Trevor from TAMCO will have some input on that.

rm

Blog Entries

I agree with you there, we're not used to getting on waiting lists as consumers.

Except for custom builds, where a wait is no big deal.

Seems to me that until Kentucky started a buzz with the reborn KM-1000 (which made people take a second look at the improvements to their line overall), Eastman were pretty much the only Asian mandolin given serious consideration by anyone who wanted a decent instrument.

Since then we have seen the higher end Kentucky mandos get pretty much equivalent ratings for playability and tone as the Eastmans. We have also seen The Loar deliver some widely praised products - despite the controversial branding. I suspect many Cafe regulars were initially inclined to give The Loar a chance because of Paul H's involvement, and it looks like that suspension of disbelief paid off.

So, Eastman kind of had their thunder stolen for a while. This looks to me like a calculated strategy designed to regain some of the attention, buzz, praise and respect that may have been overshadowed by the other Chinese mandolins. If they build these cheapies right then the brand loyalty thing may just mean that people look at the more glamorous Eastman mandolins when the time comes to move up. Of course, it also allows them to compete with more of the Kentucky line.

With my marketing pro hat on I have to say that I think it's a great move and I hope it works out for both Eastman and for the customers. With my mandolin fan hat on I say the same thing!

There are so many great quality lower end instruments available today that it's mindblowing. The trend for so many years was higher and higher prices, to the point where all many of us could afford was junk. One could say that it's the domestic builders who are the biggest losers, but even some of them have responded with "economy" models that are certainly not economy in quality and craftmanship.

With the economy and jobs still in the dumps, we are really fortunate that the industry has responded in a way that will help to keep the music alive.
    Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins