Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567891031 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

I almost jumped on that one but after looking closely at the photos I think it is going to need a new nut to correct string spacing. The treble strings are too close to the edge of fingerboard imho. The bridge is centered properly but notice how the bass strings are far from the edge of the fingerboard as they travel down the neck. Very nice looking flame on the back and sides.

nickster, you are gonna give sonnyjammer an anxiety attack. If the mandolin was twisted slightly when the photo was taken it would give the strings the appearance of being off center.

For his sake I hope I'm wrong. If you look at the full front view it appears the photo was taken straight on and the strings are off center. Compare them closely and you will see for yourself. Anyway if there is anything wrong I'm sure they will take it back. That is the good thing about dealing with Elderly.

Thanks for the observations, I'm not too concerned. I have bone blanks and nice set of nut files if needed. Adrian has assured me if this is an issue, to let him know. The hardest part about the whole deal is the wait, to get this beast (I Hope) in my hands and to my jam buddies so I can gloat. Isn't that what MAS is all about?

Blog Entries

It does look off center in the picture. I thought the consignment instruments were set up at Elderly prior to going up for sale as part of the consignment add on the price. Am I wrong? Also is tax included or added on the price?

Sales tax does not apply unless you live in Michigan. My experience with buying from Elderly, the instruments are set up well before I received them, with the exception of a violin I bought from their "AS IS" section and the problems were descriped in detail. Buy with confidence from them. also I started a new Northfield owners Social group. Feel free to chime in with thought, observations, pictures, sound clips etc.
    Last edited by sonnyjammer; Mar-07-2011 at 9:53pm. Reason: Miss worded reply

Blog Entries

Thanks. Actually I have been doing business with them for years, several new guitars, Collings, PRS, and a classical guitar. I have always had great service from them. Sent them a bunch of customers for the small Strunal guitars which I have had great luck with for students. Wanted to clarify their policies on used instruments when I saw the picture that looked like the nut was off center.

Here's a neat little video from Steve Cooley who bought one of our Black Top As at the IBMA. Enjoy!

Wow....I want one!

That A sounds awesome!!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

The big truck came to the shop and I ran over couple of guys that were standing between me and the door. I was hollerin across the room that's for me, get outta my way. MAS madness at its finest. I am very happy with the mandolin, the case interior has a strap across the middle of the neck to hold it down and I brushed against the strings while it was still in the case, and I knew immediately this was gonna be good. It vibrates all over when you play it, the bass response is just amazing, it woofs like old well broke in mandolin. the trebles are clear and ring all the way up the neck. I really like the open two and three finger chords. I have been workinig out of a Jethro Burns Lesson Book and he didn't care a whole lot for the 4 finger Bluegrass chop chords. Cross picking just really gets everything ringing. This could very well be one of the loudest mandolins I have heard and played. to and I have heard most brands of high end mandos. Never really owned a Dude, Nugget, or Gilchrist but this Norhfield can compete just fine with a most of those. Bottom line, IMHO, these are great, so buy one if your lust for the high end sound, looks, but can't justify paying $25,000
    Sonny

FYI, I heard from Adrian this am. The Japan quake did not effect anything at Quingdao, but Kosuke has family outside of Tokyo that they are still waiting to hear from. Prayers for all of them. The videos are terrible!

Blog Entries

Good sounding mando, real nice picking too.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share a couple photos of new mandolins heading out into the world. This a set with a Blacktop-A and our "Big Mon" F ...bound for Italy. I'm headed up to Elderly in the morning to deliver two F5 Moderns too. Spring has sprung...and mandos are shipping. Enjoy the pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1793.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	69745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1818.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	69746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1821.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	69747

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Ok. That's it. I want a Northfield. That Big Mon is gorgeous!
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    Ok. That's it. I want a Northfield. That Big Mon is gorgeous!
    +1. Even the speed neck is done so very nicely bv fading in the stain and finish. Very attractive. The new owner is one lucky person

Adrian, those are very nice looking mandolins. I sure hope one of those two modern F5's is headed my way.

I like the A-style (though sans pickguard). Very nice work.

Ditto on the Big Mon! Nice. Nickster you lucky dog! When you get it don't leave us hanging. Post some feedback and photos. I'm still waiting for Harry Clark's photos..

Mandosummers, I will post some photos and eventually a sound file. I just hope it's a good one.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Hi Ed. I'm working on something for the A mandolins (some pics and sound clips) and should have it ready tomorrow. So far we've made and sold 8 A5s. Just packed one up and sent it to Washington state. I know you've been interested in the As and I'll work quickly to get this new stuff posted asap. Thanks for all the interest. Not sure why the A owners aren't on the cafe, but I know those mandos are out there. -Adrian
    I'm interested in ordering an A style Northfield Mandolin. (NF-A5M). How do I order one?

John Keith
    johnlisa29@gmail.com

John, you can order an A style Northfield mandolin from elderly.com. Just got to there site and click onto contact information. Give them a call, they require a 100.00 deposit to get your name on the list. Also they can give you an estimate for delivery.

Ah, that blacktop A is quite a looker!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    John, you can order an A style Northfield mandolin from elderly.com. Just got to there site and click onto contact information. Give them a call, they require a 100.00 deposit to get your name on the list. Also they can give you an estimate for delivery.
    Thank you for the information!

Here are a some photos of my Northfield #83 I just got this morning. It does sound as good as it looks imho. The mando sounds like someone has already broke it in. Amazing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	70008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.JPG 
Views:	379 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	70009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side 2.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	70010  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side 1.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	70011  
    Last edited by nickster; Mar-22-2011 at 7:06pm.