Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2546474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1276

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Thumbs up Re: Northfield mandolins

I enjoyed the new Field Notes newsletter - very classy and well done. Someone might have already said so in this thread somewhere, but I've been wondering who did the artwork? That is such a cool and creative drawing! Nice job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	site-header.gif 
Views:	173 
Size:	580.0 KB 
ID:	151369  

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

finally I get to like a lot this mandolin...
    https://www.facebook.com/10001153260...54874972280027
    Los Hermanos Cubero
    Youtube Channel
    Cubero's Facebook
    My Facebook
    Instagram:
    @hermanos_cubero
    @robertocubero_

3. The following members say thank you to roberto for this post:

JSanta 

One more on an ancient Spanish tune, with better audio quality:
    https://www.facebook.com/10001153260...97079784964534
    Last edited by roberto; Nov-30-2016 at 5:04am.
    Los Hermanos Cubero
    Youtube Channel
    Cubero's Facebook
    My Facebook
    Instagram:
    @hermanos_cubero
    @robertocubero_

5. The following members say thank you to roberto for this post:

From a greenroom in Ann Arbor to the debut on A Prairie Home Companion, overseas to a tour in the UK, through Colorado and back to NYC - Sarah Jarosz has shown us again why we love making new instruments and just how lucky we are to be "living the dream" in today's tumultuous world. One of our absolute favorites, my daughter Joni's hero and a BIG reason we even attempted to make our new octaves in the first place. Had to share.
    [/VIDEO]

Happy Holidays.

- Adrian

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

And along with the great sound of that octave mandolin it's very apparent to me that Sarah enjoys playing it.

Cheers and Happy Holidays all!

For some reason I though she was still playing the Brock OM??? Didn't even know Northfield was building them… Gonna have to check that out.

Sarah's a clasically trained musician with a degree from NEC. She could play any instrument in the world, and she's choosing to play one from a relatively young company in Michigan. If you haven't played one of the Northfield Mando's or Octave's, I'd recommend you seriously consider it and buy one while they are still affordable; the prices will only continue to rise as the demand grows. Pretty much everyone who has played one of the new octaves has asked to buy one, or get on the list (it's quite a growing list, and considering the names already on it... just wow). The artist Mando's they are producing also have quite a long list of both individuals and retail stores that now realize there's a market for a 6-7K mandolin that is manufactured in small batches outside the US. Times they are a Changin'.

11. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

JSanta 

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcj View Post
    For some reason I though she was still playing the Brock OM??? Didn't even know Northfield was building them… Gonna have to check that out.
    Looks like these haven't been posted. I hope Northfield continues to build their social media presence as it sounds like these instruments are really special. I'm saving for one now.

Here are a couple of neat videos with their newish octave mandolins:

Are the octaves flatbacks? Or carved? It's going to be interesting to see what the effects of the expanded CITES regulations will be on musical instrument companies' abilities to build overseas and ship into the US.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Are the octaves flatbacks? Or carved?
    "The dimesions of our octave mandolin body and the flat back yield something quite different than what is commonly found on the market today. "

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...archtop-octave
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    "The dimesions of our octave mandolin body and the flat back yield something quite different than what is commonly found on the market today. "

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...archtop-octave
    There's also some discussion of the build methodology in the first video I posted earlier this morning. Seems like a great concept.

Sorry to veer away from the Octave discussions but the post regarding the demise of JDMC made me realize despite my original intent I had neglected announcing to this thread my purchase from them of a 2016 Northfield F5SA. Turns out I got really lucky with it being so close to the shop going out of business but from the moment I plucked the first notes it wasn't like I would be sending it back. The mando has exceeded my expectations, but I am also not surprised based on the comments here and elsewhere about how fantastic of an instrument they are. It gets played daily and is really starting to come into its own.

It also reminded me that I had seen a JDMC demo video of an F5S when I was trying to make a final decision to take the plunge. In revisiting it, I realized the demo used my actual mando. Once I saw the dark 'North' and light 'field' headstock inlay at :22, it was obvious. The small pin knots visible when he shows the back seals the deal.

Uploaded December 2nd of 2016, I purchased the mandolin just ten days later so until I get proper pics/vids of my own, here's the official visual record of my Northfield F5S Amber #347 for Cafe posterity:

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Chris Daniels For This Useful Post:

Chris,

Thanks for posting, and congratulations on the new mandolin! Looking forward to some clips. I just purchased the same amber model from the Mandolin Store, but won't be able to get my hands on it for a few weeks. I'm on my boat in Mexico, but will be stateside in a few weeks. I figured it was better to wait than deal with international shipping.

Keep playing and post some clips, please!

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

19. The following members say thank you to Sid Simpson for this post:

Blog Entries

oops
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I know many people had been asking about the Airloom case cover recently. While I've been very happy with it's fit and finish, I wanted to have backpack straps as an option. Attached, please find pics of some customization I did on the cover to add backpack strap connections that can be used, or not. It was very easy, can be done by anyone with a basic knowledge of sewing and a modern machine. I used 1.5" webbing (you need about 1 yard)

The materials to make the conversion cost me about $6, and a set of aftermarket backpack straps from pro-tec instrument cases were $15. This allows me to have a backpack when I want it, and remove the straps when I don't. It's simple, sleek, and light.

To make it comfortable, I cut down the feet on the case-bottom by half, and added another layer of fleece-backed thinsulate. It carries very easily.

Hope you enjoy the photos. Feel free to PM with questions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	623.5 KB 
ID:	153784

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	782.8 KB 
ID:	153785

Name:	IMG_1225.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	893.6 KB 
ID:	153786

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	685.7 KB 
ID:	153787

What fret wire do Northfield use? I have one of their F models and really like the larger fret wire so I'd like to use it on my other instrument next time I re-fret. It's a bit tricky to measure it once it's fitted!

Actually not that hard to measure after all..... 0.08" wide 0.046" high..... Roughly.

Does anyone know the price of the Northfield Octave ? I've scowered the net and can't find one actually in stock for sale anywhere.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Hi Astro, I've just checked on Northfield's own website. The mahogany backed one is $3800, and the maple backed one is $4500. Having seen the various vids, I personally prefer the warmer tones of the mahogany, but tone is subjective.

Hope this helps,

Johnny

26. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Astro 

Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

28. The following members say thank you to guidoStow for this post:

Blog Entries

As I contemplate my next step in an F5 mandolin, Northfield is on my short list. Everything I read and hear about them says that they have tremendous tone and great fit and finish. I am hoping to get to play and compare to consider before buying a Northfield or another F5.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Another great shot at the new Artist inlay. Wow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRI7NCuD...ld_instruments
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

I'm so excited...I just got a Northfield Archtop Octave two days ago and I can't put it down. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_409a.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	161849

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastmanA For This Useful Post:

I just received one of Mike Marshall’s old 5 bar Artist models, which he apparently played for about a year, and good gravy is it a wonderous mandolin. I have not decided if it is the tone I want for my only mandolin, but it is truly astounding. It is beautiful, super loud, super sustain, deep dark low end, and is a kick in the pants to play. It sounds like a hybrid between an F5 and an F4, leaning toward F5. I tested it out yesterday next to a Dudenbostel A style, and a 1930s F5, and it was so different from them that I couldn’t compare. It is just it’s own thing. I thought comparing to those mandolins would help me make up my mind if I want to keep it, but now I just want to buy both the Dude and the F5 too... I’ve been ruined by playing so many fine mandolins.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

34. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Hi Everyone. It's IBMA time again and I thought I'd post a pic of what Elderly will be showing for us this year. Hard to believe this thread started 8 years ago! What an amazing archive of stories, reviews, photos, questions and such. Thanks to all that have participated in it.

You can email us directly to find out more about the instruments we're sending down for the festivities in NC. All our best wishes go out to everyone in that great state. Wish we could swing getting down there but we're knee deep in this new expansion here in MI and can't step away this time. Enjoy yourselves.

Name:	ibma family shot.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	448.1 KB 
ID:	171382

36. The following members say thank you to Northfield mando for this post: