Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1276

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

The M Model's look nice, Adrian. How would you say they compare/contrast to a Collings MT model, in terms of materials, finish, hardware, etc??

Quote Originally Posted by jjboone101 View Post
    The M Model's look nice, Adrian. How would you say they compare/contrast to a Collings MT model, in terms of materials, finish, hardware, etc??
    Thanks jjboone101. We're big fans of the MTs and Collings approach to making mandolins. As far as the wood materials go, they're very similar. Top and Back: Our Model M features Engelmann Spruce from Colorado and Red Maple from Western Pennsylvania -- the MTs are made of the same species however I'm not certain of the origin. Board and Bridges are made of African Ebony likely very similar to theirs. We use Schaller tuners, they use Gotoh. The top coat to our finish on our Model M is made of Shellac dissolved in alcohol, with some hardeners on the last layer to give it a it more durable than the more fragile french polished finishes. The top coat is buffed out by hand to nice semigloss luster. Coloring is by hand using a combination of aniline dyes and other tints/stains. The Collings MTs are finished with Nitro-Cellouse lacquer.

Tonally, on average, I think they're quite different.... but of course, that's always a very subjective topic. If you'd like to talk more about the sound, playability, construction... or anything else, please give us a call. Thanks, Adrian (269-267-3678, direct)

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Thanks jjboone101. We're big fans of the MTs and Collings approach to making mandolins. As far as the wood materials go, they're very similar. Top and Back: Our Model M features Engelmann Spruce from Colorado and Red Maple from Western Pennsylvania -- the MTs are made of the same species however I'm not certain of the origin. Board and Bridges are made of African Ebony likely very similar to theirs. We use Schaller tuners, they use Gotoh. The top coat to our finish on our Model M is made of Shellac dissolved in alcohol, with some hardeners on the last layer to give it a it more durable than the more fragile french polished finishes. The top coat is buffed out by hand to nice semigloss luster. Coloring is by hand using a combination of aniline dyes and other tints/stains. The Collings MTs are finished with Nitro-Cellouse lacquer.

Tonally, on average, I think they're quite different.... but of course, that's always a very subjective topic. If you'd like to talk more about the sound, playability, construction... or anything else, please give us a call. Thanks, Adrian (269-267-3678, direct)
    Hey Adrian-
    I'm in Holland, how about I swing by and pick that beauty up. . . ?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Hey Adrian-
    I'm in Holland, how about I swing by and pick that beauty up. . . ?
    Steve
    Hi Steve! Your mandolin is in the upcoming batch. Would be great to see you, but if I were you I'd high tail it back to Cali! This is the coldest weather we've had all year!! Maybe we could get together on the west coast when the mando is ready... Now that sounds like a grand idea for a spring break! -AB

Now that's a win-win.

Really glad to see these M models on the home stretch.

Registered User Mike Sutterfield's Avatar

I finally broke down and bought a Big Mon. Its a good mandolin!

I'm waiting for my F5M right now, shipped yesterday overnight. FedEx is torturing me with no updates......

Got an update....not long now!
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Jan-06-2015 at 12:03pm. Reason: Update...

Registered User Mike Sutterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I'm waiting for my F5M right now, shipped yesterday overnight. FedEx is torturing me with no updates......

Got an update....not long now!
    A nice early birthday present!
    2008 Daley Standard F5
    1975 Martin D-35 Shaded Top

9. The following members say thank you to Mike Sutterfield for this post:

All this talk about Fedex overnight makes me envious. My Big Mon is still 6-7 weeks away. Let's us know your impatience level it arrives and you have to look at the unopened box for a couple of days - lol. Especially true with the cold weather in Michigan lately. Now that is real pain!!

Once you get to pick on it let us know your opinion.

11. The following members say thank you to Stainless for this post:

Delivered! I sat in the brewery/pizza place next door until I got the email. Tried not to knock everyone over getting to the pick up desk! Lucky for me the temps here are in the 60s today. OK, gotta go....I'll be busy for awhile...ha

My new Northfield NF-F5M #268 arrived yesterday! It's fantastic! Premium englemann spruce top, sugar maple one piece back, and cocobolo fretboard. It has the modern set up with a scooped Florida extension and the standard Northfield inlay. I also opted for the James tailpiece and the violin varnish speed neck.

The workmanship is flawless, the intonation up the neck is perfect, and the binding and scroll work are very well done. The sunburst finish is like a mirror with only a few very, very slight signs of handwork that are common with a hand rubbed varnish finish.

Lucky for me the weather cooperated and I did not have to wait long to open the box...ummm, actually only the amount of time it took me to bring the box in the house and shove everything off the table.

This mandolin is the most comfortable one I have played. The neck profile is cut so that it sits in my hand very nicely and the speed neck is so smooth, it's really a joy to play...maybe I'll get faster....ha. I don't really know how to describe the sound in terms of great mid-trebles and such, all I can say is it sounds rich and full. The sustain is unbelievable! I've been playing an Eastman 315 for about a year and the tones on the Northfiled are not shrill like on the Eastman.

I'll get a few pictures posted soon, it's pretty foggy here today and I'd have to put it down to take pics and I don't want to stop playing it right now. Thank you to Peter and Adrian Bagale and all the people at Northfield for making me such a beautiful mandolin!

Very exciting bigskygirl and congrats on your new mando. Now how about some photos?

15. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

hey BSG

glad it arrived safely, it sounds very very nice.
    definitely post us some pics when you get the chance.

d

17. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

BSG:
    Sounds great!! Way to go - I'm envious !!!. Would love to see some pics.

19. The following members say thank you to Stainless for this post:

Promised pics, weather here is terrible so I can't get good lighting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	128634   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	252 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	128635   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	238 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	128636  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	254 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	128637  

21. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Very nice!! Congrats!

23. The following members say thank you to Mandosummers for this post:

Hello everyone! It's been a little while since we've shared on this thread. It has been very busy lately and all of our heads have been down and eyes focussed on getting a lot of orders out the door sending mandolins all over the world.

Meanwhile, we missed a couple of landmarks and wanted to post a fun video (one of our favorites) from all the years to commemorate two things in particular. For one, Happy 70th Birthday David Grisman! The attached video pulls together some Quintet ambassadors you may all recognize and one of my favorite tunes. 'Twas a real treat and we're anxiously looking forward to heading back to The Swannanoah Gathering again this summer where we hope to debut a plethora of new instruments and ideas. Secondly, we just realized that this thread has been viewed more than 200,000 times. Woah... We would like to thank all of you for being so supportive and constantly challenging this small company to elevate our craft. This site has been quite a resource and we really appreciate all the opportunities to participate and engage this tight-knit community.

All the best wishes for a great weekend. -Adrian

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the post Adrian.
    I'll admit my ignorance. I love this tune too but don't know what it is....
    Can anyone help make me a little smarter?

Dawgs Bull
    Nic Gellie

28. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

I should be getting my F5s from Tejon Street Music in CO on tuesday! I'm so excited!

http://www.tejonstreetmusic.com/p/no...ndolin-140161/

Chootum,
    That one has a beautiful piece of maple on the back. I think you are going to be very pleased with it.

Well, I've had my Northfield F5s for just over 2 months now. One word - gorgeous!

Looks great, with a lovely tobacco burst and the satin finish makes it look aged. The sound is just superb. It's not the loudest F5 I've ever encountered (it's not quiet either, by any means) but it's tone is fantastic - great bass and a really rich ringing tone with tons of complexity in it. Punches well for bluegrass, but it absolutely excels on slower melodies.

It sounded great whenI bought it, but with a load of regular playing that adi top is really opening up nicely!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield resting.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	135267  

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Well, I've had my Northfield F5s for just over 2 months now. One word - gorgeous!

Looks great, with a lovely tobacco burst and the satin finish makes it look aged. The sound is just superb. It's not the loudest F5 I've ever encountered (it's not quiet either, by any means) but it's tone is fantastic - great bass and a really rich ringing tone with tons of complexity in it. Punches well for bluegrass, but it absolutely excels on slower melodies.

It sounded great whenI bought it, but with a load of regular playing that adi too is really opening up nicely!
    HEY! I recognize that pick!! Glad to see you've mated it with such a fine mandolin.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Hi Larry

Yep - still using the Primetone 1.5 and loving it with the Northfield!

PS Can anyone tell me how to rotate photo attachments!!

Views:	233 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	135274

Views:	168 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	135275

Views:	187 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	135276

I am so excited it's pretty ridiculous. I've been checking the UPS status every day since shipping.

I'll do a review when it gets here.

These are images from Tejon's website. I hope i'm not infringing any copyright laws by putting these pictures here. I'm just wanting to share the giddy childish excitement of a grown man