Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1276

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    jmagill, I guess I'm taking your post somewhat out of context, but I doubt that this particular instrument, with all its special-order options would quite slip into the '$3000 to $4000' catagory.
    That's right. I offered the quote from my earlier post just as a general endorsement of the sound of Northfield's instruments. Obviously, Markelberry's option-laden instrument will be toward the upper end of their range, but it's worth noting that Emory's F5 only had a custom fingerboard radius; everything else was stock, so its list would probably be in the mid-$3000 range, while the other Northfield I mentioned, owned by a student in the class was one of the newer F5S instruments that list, I believe, at $2695.
    Jim Magill, Director
    The Swannanoa Gathering
    Warren Wilson College
    PO Box 9000
    Asheville, NC 28815-9000
    828-298-3434
    jmagill@warren-wilson.edu
    www.swangathering.com

Unhappy Re: Northfield mandolins

Hey all thanks for the compliments. I owned one of Steve Gilchrist early F2 mandos custom built for Ry Cooder when he worked for George in Nashville ,traded an old Gibson J45 an 800 cash for it,wow best I ever heard back in the day. It got stolen after an open stage one night 2yrs later it was returned sunken top !
    Any way traded it to Dexter Johnson for a new Gilly A5 sold it, Ive had Gibson era Montana F5ls that was a killer a Flatiron F that was killer an old Carlson A WOW WOW iVE played Brentrup not for long just a friends, I played Ronnis Gilchrist Iwant it! A fantastic Kimble A ! made me get on the list and had to cancel ,lost a vehichle and Will very nicely gave me beck my deposit ,thank you Will (he was a super nice guy) my last mando and the one I have and owned the longest of any is a 2004 Gibson A9 with bare wood all around the treble f destress everywhere it screams,hollow big gutsy mando . I have had a couple sound men tell me step off the mike,guess I dont use it enough to know how? Ill never let it go ,its loud and I thought very clear in single notes. The Northfield in attention to detail ,I promise in my experience stands right up there with them all,however every great artist has their take on their art. Sound wise it is a bluegrass monster, it is new but it is voiced in my opinion to capture that sound I love and I believe I told them (Northfield ) early on the sound I like, MONROE DRY OPEN RINGIN HIGHS! BIG MON!! They hit the nail on the head, color is beautiful. I cannot wait to hear it in a year ! I think it will sound the way I play it hard and it wont break down. I also play it soft and it makes a pretty tone too. Im an old an very happy Milkman when I get home these days and at the ocassional gig I play,everyone will be asking what Im playing ,I can assure you that and go oooh when they see it ! My wife says you can here every note clear as a bell Ive had it since last friday! Thank you Northfield my RANT is officially over!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Markelberry For This Useful Post:

I take it that you are satisfied with your new mandolin. It seems to be standing up well to some heavy duty competition at your house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	106108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1234867_621743661180432_1388204402_n.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	106109
    ok just two more,the opening and the tuning!

Blog Entries

It is unfortunate that all pricing info (even for the various options) has disappeared from Northfield's website. From what I recall, however, the base price of a 'Big Mon' is around $4K. Extra-fancy headstock inlays would add another $400 or so, the James T/P added about $150, and the super-grade woods put another $1K on there. Mine has a custom neck width (similar to a Sam Bush model) and that cost another $400 at the time. A 1-piece back is also extra (can't recall how much) and a violin-finish neck, more again. So, you can be looking at anything from $4-6K for one of these depending on exactly what options are taken. These prices could have changed since I checked them, of course. No way to know without putting in for a quote.

Very fine looking mandolin there, Markelberry. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Hey just wondering,cannot remember what strings they set these up with I think J 74s anyone try anything else on their Northfield they like better (would recommend )to try?

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    It is unfortunate that all pricing info (even for the various options) has disappeared from Northfield's website. From what I recall, however, the base price of a 'Big Mon' is around $4K. Extra-fancy headstock inlays would add another $400 or so, the James T/P added about $150, and the super-grade woods put another $1K on there. Mine has a custom neck width (similar to a Sam Bush model) and that cost another $400 at the time. A 1-piece back is also extra (can't recall how much) and a violin-finish neck, more again. So, you can be looking at anything from $4-6K for one of these depending on exactly what options are taken. These prices could have changed since I checked them, of course. No way to know without putting in for a quote.

Very fine looking mandolin there, Markelberry. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
    Apparently their prices have gone up even more since your last update. I just had a quote from them in July for a custom build.

The upcharge for a deluxe inlay was $500, not $400.

The upcharge for a James style tailpiece was $200, not $150.

The upcharge for the violin neck (speed neck) was $200.

Overall, the package still seems like a decent value.

Blog Entries

I like it with the GHS "Silk & Bronze" LSB 250's

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/LSB250.htm

My Ellis likes those too, though on the Ferns, I find the regular J74's seem to suit best.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I like it with the GHS "Silk & Bronze" LSB 250's

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/LSB250.htm

My Ellis likes those too, though on the Ferns, I find the regular J74's seem to suit best.
    thank you, for the suggestion always liked their silk and steel ,but they wore out a little quick. Im hoping we'll both like em and I can try em on my A9 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Markelberry View Post
    Sorry for all the pics ,but ya gotta love it! its the best F-5 Mandolin I have ever had the honor to strum,pick,chop,hold!!!!! hands down! I fell right into it and do not ever wanna leave and Ive never played one before! It is fine!
    Gush on brother, gush on! I know exactly how you feel. I longed for a quality mandolin for 30 years and then I took a chance and ordered my Northfield. It killed my MAS dead on the spot. Its nuts how good they are. I remember I took it to Gruhn's a while back just to compare... great people at Gruhn's. The guy tending the mandolin section looked it over and played it a bit. Then he handed it back and said "Wow!, so what are you doing in here?" Congratulations Markelberry! Hope you have many years of fun out of that beautiful mandolin (love the wood).

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosummers View Post
    ...The guy tending the mandolin section looked it over and played it a bit. Then he handed it back and said "Wow!, so what are you doing in here?" ...
    That's Classic!

I want one!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

It is one week old today as far as I am concerned. I leave it in front of a speaker while Im at work all day then of course play it when I get home! It does help shiver its timbre! Man Ive played alot of good ones and they all have their place ,but this Northfield is making me very happy ,its really top shelf, up there with all the best (I ) have played. I like that it is a really good bluegrass mandolin, I play hard ,love fiddle tunes Monroe and the like as far as the tone I am capable of ,it does it ! My Gibson A9 is my favorite A I ever played 2004 and these two are perfect team ,though the Northfield single note clarity is beyond. Volume wise its already right there and I bean spankin that 9 for at least 7 years!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Markelberry View Post
    ...Man Ive played alot of good ones and they all have their place ,but this Northfield is making me very happy ,its really top shelf, up there with all the best (I ) have played. I like that it is a really good bluegrass mandolin, I play hard ,love fiddle tunes Monroe and the like as far as the tone I am capable of ,it does it ! My Gibson A9 is my favorite A I ever played 2004 and these two are perfect team ,though the Northfield single note clarity is beyond. Volume wise its already right there and I bean spankin that 9 for at least 7 years!
    Very Cool!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Oh, that's a GORGEOUS Northfield! That inlay on the peghead is very classy and the figure in the back wood--primo! Congrats, Mark!

Thanks Cheryl ! The Inlay compliments of Northfield !!!!!! and the Sugar Maple is superb! I love it all more everyday,and it sounds great!!! I think they really captured the vintage look in my uneducated opinion . The back is classic 20s!

The booth is all set up at 2013 IBMA! Come on over and say hello.. Here's a few instruments we brought this year:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5S.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	107307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2SB.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	107308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2S.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	107309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5M.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	107310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blacktop F5M.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	107311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	booth2.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	107306

Question Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    The upcharge for a James style tailpiece was $200, not $150.
    I don't understand something. What part of $200 would be the 'upcharge' on their standard t/p? The current retail price on a James unit $139 from both The Mandolin Store and Roger Siminoff's site.
    On a built to spec. custom order, shouldn't the buyer be expect to pay no more than the difference in cost between the two tailpieces (unless the other is supplied in the case)?

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    I don't understand something. What part of $200 would be the 'upcharge' on their standard t/p? The current retail price on a James unit $139 from both The Mandolin Store and Roger Siminoff's site.
    On a built to spec. custom order, shouldn't the buyer be expect to pay no more than the difference in cost between the two tailpieces (unless the other is supplied in the case)?

A mfg. can up-charge what they want. It's up to the consumer to decide whether or not to pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gplayer View Post
    A mfg. can up-charge what they want. It's up to the consumer to decide whether or not to pay it.
    This we already know. Hence the post.

21. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

I wouldn't know the basis for the upcharge; that's just what I was told. It might include additional cost for any custom engraving or designs that they are using, instead of a generic one. (?)

Blog Entries

They are engraved with 'Northfield'. If they are fitting them in China, of course, they have to first ship them there, then ship them back... it all adds up.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Yeah. That'll be it..

I'm saving up for a Northfield F5 and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether to get the F5S that they sell through dealers or is it worth spending the money to get the Big Mon?

Quote Originally Posted by DylanH View Post
    I'm saving up for a Northfield F5 and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether to get the F5S that they sell through dealers or is it worth spending the money to get the Big Mon?
    I have been listening to Adam Steffey's latest album 'New Primitive' a lot, and every track where I thought to myself 'man I really like the sound of that mando' turns out to be him playing his Big Mon. I think you'll be happy with both, and it depends on how big of a budget you're working with (a Big Mon can get up to 5K with all the bells and whistles), and whether you'd want one right away, and be able to even play one before you buy if you happen to live near one of the dealers who have one in stock.

If you haven't already - buy Adam's and Emory Lester's latest CDs and listen to them to see which sound you prefer.

27. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

IF barrangtan wasn't alreadt implying it Im pretty sure he played both models on the record and they all sound good to me ,I have a Big Mon and its a darn fine axe!