Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by rounDSound View Post
    .... Englemann big mon with small f holes...
    Awesome! I can't wait to hear about it when you get it! Any particular reason why you went with Englemann/ smaller f holes?
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Hey Everyone,
    wanted to share some new pictures
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3954.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	87297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3953.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	87298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3946.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	87299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3951.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	87300

Quote Originally Posted by jhduncan View Post
    Awesome! I can't wait to hear about it when you get it! Any particular reason why you went with Englemann/ smaller f holes?

I wanted a more bass/mid focused sound, with the tonal qualities that englemann offers.. The 'standard' size f-holes were advertised to offer a more focused sound than their enlarged f-holes, which are supposed to be more 'open sounding'. Just preference! I'm on a pretty tight budget (having to sell of some good gear to get this thing), so I avoided the more expensive or cosmetic features like 'premium wood', a one piece back, violin neck or the james tailpiece and just focused on getting the sound I was looking for.

In regards to the serial, I simply emailed northfield and asked if they had started construction and if I had been assigned a serial number!

Shame about the Hiscox case. Calton's are way to expensive for me, maybe the eastman fiberglass case would be flight worthy.

When it arrives in July, I'll be sure to post some high quality photos, as well as some video.
    Collings MT
    1926 Martin Style A
    Eko Electric
    Martin D15
    Rickenbacker 620

Hey Everyone, we recently got a bunch of pictures taken on unique batch of mandolins. Just wanted to share some of them with all of you who keep this thread going. Thanks! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trio back.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	87552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trio body-back.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	87553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trio front_2.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	87554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trio front.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	87555

Nice looking mando's Adrian. How much extra does it cost for a one piece back?

Nick

Cool! Northfield just notified me yesterday that mine is nearly ready to go and that i may have it possibly by the end of June.
    That will mean it is ready a little early.
    Thankfully i paid for it before the aussie dollar dropped 14 cents against the greenback!
    I'm getting a big mon ,engelman spruce top with a james tailpiece

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosummers View Post
    I'm sure you will get a number of comments on the cases the Northfields come with. Unless they have changed since I got my Northfield last year, the cases are not worth much. They are very cheap and flimsy. Love the mando... hate the case.

As far as Hiscox cases go, I ordered one for my Northfield several months back. It was a perfect fit and provided great structural protection, but.... It had gaps in the the seam between the top and bottom of the case at both ends. The gaps were about 1/8" to 3/16". I could press my lips to the cracks and blow into the case with no resistance at all. (The top seam was tight and I couldn't easily blow air through it.) Get caught in a driving rain storm and the water streaming into the case along the ends would not have even slowed down. The same would hold true for extreme cold and heat. I called to try to get a replacement and the rep said that the gaps on the ends were a common problem with some Hiscox mandolin cases? So, my experience with Hiscox is great structural protection but poor environmental protection. I sent it back. I’m still looking for a good case.

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	87296
    I have small gaps in mine too, but that's to be expected with a plastic case. I think it would take a seriously hard rain to actually get water inside the case, but it could happen. I guess that's what case covers are for. Otherwise, it seems like you have to spend upwards of $600 for the kind of protection you're looking for. Two hundred bucks and a case cover looks like not a bad deal by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    I have small gaps in mine too, but that's to be expected with a plastic case. I think it would take a seriously hard rain to actually get water inside the case, but it could happen. I guess that's what case covers are for. Otherwise, it seems like you have to spend upwards of $600 for the kind of protection you're looking for. Two hundred bucks and a case cover looks like not a bad deal by comparison.
    And it hardly ever rains in Victoria!

Woo Hoo! Big mon #172 ready to ship down under early next week!
    Good thing too as 2 of the cheap crappy tuner buttons on my Washburn broke when i was attempting to re string it this week.
    It's out of action til I can get some decent tuner buttons from Stew mac or somewhere.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rourke View Post
    Woo Hoo! Big mon #172 ready to ship down under early next week!
    Good thing too as 2 of the cheap crappy tuner buttons on my Washburn broke when i was attempting to re string it this week.
    It's out of action til I can get some decent tuner buttons from Stew mac or somewhere.
    Phil
    lucky fellow! i'll be waiting until the end of july for its sibling, #174. let us know how it sounds!
    Collings MT
    1926 Martin Style A
    Eko Electric
    Martin D15
    Rickenbacker 620

For those who are not on Facebook: Northfields posted some spectacular pics of an A style on their Facebook page today (#147) which is available immediately (or.. was)

Name:	nf_147.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	88178

I recently got a Neumann KM184 and a Golden Age Pre 73 preamp. I was experimenting with them and my Northfield F. I was so happy with the tone I thought I'd share a short clip.

NorthfieldClip.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosummers View Post
    I recently got a Neumann KM184 and a Golden Age Pre 73 preamp. I was experimenting with them and my Northfield F. I was so happy with the tone I thought I'd share a short clip.

NorthfieldClip.mp3
    Good Stuff!
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

I had the pleasure to play a few at the Elderly Booth at IBMA. The ones I played are far superior to any of the other brands made in China. I do not put them in the Collins, Stanley, Kimble range, but they are substantially cheaper. I would say they fit between the Ky 1000/1500 / The Loar 700 and the Collins level builders. A great instrument for the prices and Stan Werblin is just an outstanding dealer to deal with.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Interesting, the middle mandolin in the last Northfield Mando post doesn' have the Northfield script on the peg head. Yes I do see that they have their name on the Rod Cover, but those can be broken or lost. Seems lke a guttsy move for a manufacturer to make. All three mandolins certainly are pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    I had the pleasure to play a few at the Elderly Booth at IBMA. The ones I played are far superior to any of the other brands made in China. I do not put them in the Collins, Stanley, Kimble range, but they are substantially cheaper. I would say they fit between the Ky 1000/1500 / The Loar 700 and the Collins level builders. A great instrument for the prices and Stan Werblin is just an outstanding dealer to deal with.
    Played several Collings and no match for the only Northfield I have played !

Good observation hedgehog.

[QUOTE=Mandosummers;1063069]I recently got a Neumann KM184 and a Golden Age Pre 73 preamp. I was experimenting with them and my Northfield F. I was so happy with the tone I thought I'd share a short clip.

Nice. I have a Pre-73 as well. Although it's not designed for it, I use it for live performances. I couldn't find anything else in my roughly three hundred dollar price range I liked as much. It's half-rack size, so a bit bulky but I have a nice carrying case that used to house a slide projector the Pre-73 fits in like a glove. I'm using with either a AT-Pro37 or a Rode N5. I'm getting lots of juice and a nice, fat tone with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Interesting, the middle mandolin in the last Northfield Mando post doesn' have the Northfield script on the peg head. Yes I do see that they have their name on the Rod Cover, but those can be broken or lost. Seems lke a guttsy move for a manufacturer to make. All three mandolins certainly are pretty.
    The Torch and Wire inlay with the name on the cover is a $500 dollar option
    Marc B.

lucky fellow! i'll be waiting until the end of july for its sibling, #174. let us know how it sounds!
    If you are getting #174 and #172 is going down under, then I must be getting #173 next week. Adrian mailed me pictures of it. It looks fantastic. Hope it sounds like it looks. One piece red maple back, with adiorondack spruce top. "Big Mon"!

Quote Originally Posted by mandograssable View Post
    If you are getting #174 and #172 is going down under, then I must be getting #173 next week. Adrian mailed me pictures of it. It looks fantastic. Hope it sounds like it looks. One piece red maple back, with adiorondack spruce top. "Big Mon"!
    i had asked for some pictures, but they never got around to it. ah well, busy folks no doubt. plus when it arrives in late july, it'll be more of a surprise. wish the canadian dollar was treading back around par though, or that i'd paid for the whole thing back when it was.
    Collings MT
    1926 Martin Style A
    Eko Electric
    Martin D15
    Rickenbacker 620

i had asked for some pictures, but they never got around to it. ah well, busy folks no doubt. plus when it arrives in late july, it'll be more of a surprise. wish the canadian dollar was treading back around par though, or that i'd paid for the whole thing back when it was.
    I was lucky,I paid off most of mine when the Aussie was around ten cents above par.
    Paid for the freight recently so I hope to have the new Mon around late next week

Adrian, Is sugar maple an option for back material ?

It's here! Stuck at work right now. Can't wait to get home tonight!

Just got home. This is a beautiful instrument! I really like the feel of the neck and the setup. It is just so much easier to play than my Washburn and the sound! Crickey! LOUD! It utterly romps all over the Washburn in every way.
    In the box there was a Northfield t shirt and a set of acoustic guitar strings 13 to 56 just the ones I already use!
    Many thanks to Adrian and Peter and all the lads at Northfield .
    Photos and video to follow as I get time.
    Phil