Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

That's great! Can't wait to hear more as it develops. I wonder: Does anyone have a NF-5 with a larger neck at the nut? Have they made one that is 1 3/16? I know that it would probably be an upgrade or custom order, but have they ever done it?
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Awesome to the cert of authenticity on the previous page. I'm glad that this company seems to have found a nice balance in their whole manufacturing structure. Not ashamed that they're made in the Pac Rim, in fact giving credit to the very talented craftsmen behind the instrument. =D Right on.

Seriously considering getting one of these...Regular size, premium wood, varnish neck. Just a question though - for a James tailpiece...is it possible to get a regular tailpiece, and then refit it in the future with a James? Or would that require structural changes to the mandolin?

i once spent a couple of weeks in Taiwan... a wild and crazy place... but also an island with AMAZING carvers... wood, ivory, stone... what these artists were able to carve out of wood and/or stone was nothing less than incredible. So to carve a couple of scrolls on a piece of wood and glue it together... well, let's just say that the Chinese craftsman will, no doubt, soon develop total mastery of the F5 puzzle. To think that these Northfield F5's are selling for under 5K with this kind of quality is kinda scary. My hat's off to all involved.

The waiting is the hardest part, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Does anyone know who ended up with this Northfield that's the main photo on the website? I love the back!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield_Mandolins_8.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	86292
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    Does anyone know who ended up with this Northfield that's the main photo on the website? I love the back!

Name:	Northfield_Mandolins_8.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	86292
    I think it is Adrien's own Big Mon model (the guy over Northfield)

Quote Originally Posted by StratLovesLenny View Post
    Awesome to the cert of authenticity on the previous page. I'm glad that this company seems to have found a nice balance in their whole manufacturing structure. Not ashamed that they're made in the Pac Rim, in fact giving credit to the very talented craftsmen behind the instrument. =D Right on.

Seriously considering getting one of these...Regular size, premium wood, varnish neck. Just a question though - for a James tailpiece...is it possible to get a regular tailpiece, and then refit it in the future with a James? Or would that require structural changes to the mandolin?
    I tried to retrofit my Northfield with a James tailpiece and the holes didn't match so I sent it back for a refund. It's best to order one with the James.

I'm still loving my Northfield right now.....i'm not as good with wiping it off after playing as I should be and it's developed a cloudy spot where my arm contacts it.....any advice in removing/cleaning this spot?
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    I'm still loving my Northfield right now.....i'm not as good with wiping it off after playing as I should be and it's developed a cloudy spot where my arm contacts it.....any advice in removing/cleaning this spot?
    You need an arm rest, sir!

Blog Entries

The back and also the area above the tailpiece on my Northfield developed a cloudy area. I rubbed in some Jubilee type polish and it totally went away.

Frustrated after jam tonight.....going back to banjo and guitar.....mandolin for sale....ugh!!!! This little thing should be easy.....NOT!

To quote Judge Smails: Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too. And Banjo players

You know.....I love banjo playing and fishing......my friends say they'd much rather listen to me fish.....

Looks like I found a great home in Shepherdsville, Kentucky for a very nice Big Mon Mandolin......

What an awesome mandolin.....and a great company.....
    Last edited by majorbanjo; May-25-2012 at 4:53pm.

Major Banjo,you mean after all the waiting and anticipation,you just turned around and sold your new Northfield?
    I don't understand?
    Is mandolin just not your thing or was the instrument not to your satisfaction?
    Phil

Exclamation Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rourke View Post
    Major Banjo,you mean after all the waiting and anticipation,you just turned around and sold your new Northfield?
    I don't understand?
    Is mandolin just not your thing or was the instrument not to your satisfaction?
    Phil
    Well sed, Phil. I would have asked the same thing, but you beat me (and a few others, I shouldn't wonder) to it.

Blog Entries

Great mandolins for the price thats for sure!,,I loved mine unfortunatly I had to sell her to help pay for a Gil,,but the fit-finish-woods-setup-tone-volume was great,,at least she went to a loving picker buddy of mine and I have first shot at getting her back if he ever wants to sell! Its too bad we coulden't get a shop that has all thier models together so we could give them the test!,,I'd love to compare the different body sizes-F-hole sizes,etc......what fun that would be

Mandolin was great!!!! After a couple of Jams with it where I switched back to banjo at both.....decided I'd let someone else have it realizing that I'd always be wanting to play banjo or guitar and the mandolin, while fun, just would never get the love it deserved at my house......and that's a chunk of change to have lying around these days......

Well that sure beats all! And I thought I bought things on a whim! I can barely play mandolin,I have a banjo and I can barely play that,I have a violin and I can barely play it,I have a pre war model 25 square neck dobro and I can barely play it,I have a few guitars and that is my main instrument. I will be keeping my Northfield my whole life..I will study it to help me set up my Washburn Jethro Burns mandolin better than it is now and use it as a gig pig with a pickup,just no way I could sell it.
    But I love all my instruments and would cut off my right arm before parting with any of them,I dont even own a house,so I'm far from being wealthy.
    No offense meant to you Major Banjo but I hope the Northfield guys are not offended by your rapid turn over of their instrument.
    You have emphatically stated that it was a great mandolin and that is good enough for me, but you must surely have set a record for the minimum length of ownership of a Northfield mandolin!
    Hope you continue to get the maximum pleasure from your musical interests. Peace and good picking!
    phil

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rourke View Post
    ...snip... but I hope the Northfield guys are not offended by your rapid turn over of their instrument.
    ...snip...
    What an odd thing to say. Why on earth would the people at Northfield be offended, and why would you care?
    It's not like he adopted a child from Northfield that he gave away. A mandolin is just a tool. He bought it, it was nice, he discovered it wasn't the right fit for him, and he moved on. What's to be offended about?
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    What an odd thing to say. Why on earth would the people at Northfield be offended, and why would you care?
    It's not like he adopted a child from Northfield that he gave away. A mandolin is just a tool. He bought it, it was nice, he discovered it wasn't the right fit for him, and he moved on. What's to be offended about?
    You are probably right,just all seems odd to me.In the end it doesnt really matter to anyone I guess.

Someone did the same thing with a Brentrup a few years ago. Maybe it's more common a practice than we imagine..

I think Northfield MIGHT only be offended if he tried to sell for more than he bought it for a la Screaming Eagle Cabernet or some such.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of #174 in late July. Englemann big mon with small f holes. Wondering if any owners can chime in on the quality/construction of the case? Would you tour with it, fly with it, or just take it around town? Should I look into a Hiscox?
    Collings MT
    1926 Martin Style A
    Eko Electric
    Martin D15
    Rickenbacker 620

Quote Originally Posted by rounDSound View Post
    Eagerly awaiting the arrival of #174 in late July. Englemann big mon with small f holes. Wondering if any owners can chime in on the quality/construction of the case? Would you tour with it, fly with it, or just take it around town? Should I look into a Hiscox?
    How is it you know the serial number of your new mandolin? did the northfield guys telll you?
    I asked Peter Bagale what the number for mine was,he hasn't replied as yet,but that's ok as it isnt that important. I told him not to bother if he didnt know of the top of his head
    i was just curious since Northfield posted some pics on facebook of what looks to be a big mon in progress with the title #170.
    I was kind of figuring that might well be mine..
    I ordered a big mon with std F holes,engleman spruce top and James tailpiece. They said it is on track for comletion in July.
    Sure am looking foward to the day it arrives!
    Phil

I'm sure you will get a number of comments on the cases the Northfields come with. Unless they have changed since I got my Northfield last year, the cases are not worth much. They are very cheap and flimsy. Love the mando... hate the case.

As far as Hiscox cases go, I ordered one for my Northfield several months back. It was a perfect fit and provided great structural protection, but.... It had gaps in the the seam between the top and bottom of the case at both ends. The gaps were about 1/8" to 3/16". I could press my lips to the cracks and blow into the case with no resistance at all. (The top seam was tight and I couldn't easily blow air through it.) Get caught in a driving rain storm and the water streaming into the case along the ends would not have even slowed down. The same would hold true for extreme cold and heat. I called to try to get a replacement and the rep said that the gaps on the ends were a common problem with some Hiscox mandolin cases? So, my experience with Hiscox is great structural protection but poor environmental protection. I sent it back. I’m still looking for a good case.

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	87296