Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by reverhar View Post
    Northfield #167 arrived today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020979.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	85427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020983.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	85428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020980.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	85430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020981.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	85431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020988.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	85432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020989.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	85429

Big Mon, large F holes, one piece back, modern setup with small frets and 1 1/16" neck, Waverly tuners, James tailpiece
    Did you specifically order the 1 piece back....or premium wood option? That mandolin is smokin.....love it....hope mine is 1/2 as nice looking.....
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

Blog Entries

To answer your question majorbanjo, this one is actually my fourth Northfield. I have been trying different neck styles and options until I found the right ones. The option for a one piece became available and I went with it. All the Northfield mandolins that I have owned have been great sounding instruments. I was looking for the playability factor. This one has it all.

Thanks Rick.....visited your bands facebook page...good stuff....wow 4 northfields.....1 1/16 sounds mighty slim for a neck....I went with the standard modern set up......I'm thinking 1 3/16 neck.....standard traditional 1 1/8 am I right?....heck I'm a banjo player...:-)

My northfield should be here this week.....I guess I'm the only one still posting on this thread....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    My northfield should be here this week.....I guess I'm the only one still posting on this thread....:-)
    But you are not the only one reading it.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Maybe, but you're not the only one subscribed to it! (We are) numerous droolers and coveters still visiting regularly in anticipation of more NF shots/bytes and stories!

Thanks...will certainly post pictures when my big mon arrives.....

I read all the Northfield posts !

I've had a burning question ever since I played the two at the Elderly booth at IBMA 2011: Why is it that a flat fingerboard and small fret wire are considered an upgrade? That is just my playing preference but, I've always considered that to be the starting level. Just interested.

Majorbanjo, can't wait til you get yours! Let us know!
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

[QUOTE=jhduncan;1049880]I've had a burning question ever since I played the two at the Elderly booth at IBMA 2011: Why is it that a flat fingerboard and small fret wire are considered an upgrade? That is just my playing preference but, I've always considered that to be the starting level. Just interested.

Hi jhduncan. Actually that spec is not considered an upgrade, rather an option. Any mandolin can be made with either our "Traditional" set-up (flatter board with narrow, vintage style fret wire, amongst a few other specs) or "Modern" set-up (more arch to the board, wider/taller fret wire, different neck profile and extension than the Traditional). The set-up for the neck and board does not change the costing unless there is something truly custom about it. We've also mixed and matched specs from these two different styles quite a bit on orders and are happy to do that for any custom order taken directly by us. Hope this helps.

On another note, we're just setting up our latest batch. We're so proud of this batch that I'm taking them all (4) to a photographer to get some better pictures done. I'll post them here once they're ready, and to our Facebook page which has become very active. We've been posting a lot of pics and video/music there. Thanks again to all of you for your great support and encouragement!

-Adrian

OK....received confirmation that my Mandolin was shipped yesterday....yeeeehaaaaa......it's enroute to my APO address here in Germany.....Hope to have it by the weekend......heading over to Northfield Facebook page to oggle instruments.......

Quote Originally Posted by jhduncan View Post
    I've had a burning question ever since I played the two at the Elderly booth at IBMA 2011: Why is it that a flat fingerboard and small fret wire are considered an upgrade? That is just my playing preference but, I've always considered that to be the starting level. Just interested.

Majorbanjo, can't wait til you get yours! Let us know!
    jhduncan - I have one of each - modern and traditional specs. My intent was to try both and keep the one I liked best and sell the other one. However, at this point I can't make myself sell either one. It may be because I got the traditional set-up first and have had about 6 more months to play it and break it in, thus sounds a little better and I am more used to it. Quite frankly, I can switch between the two and hardly tell the difference in the way they feel - of course they may feel totally different to others. I think either mandolin would suit most players!
    Linksmaker

Exclamation Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Links View Post
    jhduncan - I have one of each - modern and traditional specs.//
    ..er, I mean, Good for you!

OK....received confirmation that my Mandolin was shipped yesterday....yeeeehaaaaa......it's enroute to my APO address here in Germany.....Hope to have it by the weekend......heading over to Northfield Facebook page to oggle instruments.......
    @majorbanjo: when your NF will have been arrived please keep us informed.. I`m very exited learning your experience with your new toy!

[QUOTE=Northfield mando;1049984]
    Quote Originally Posted by jhduncan View Post

Hi jhduncan. Actually that spec is not considered an upgrade, rather an option. Any mandolin can be made with either our "Traditional" set-up (flatter board with narrow, vintage style fret wire, amongst a few other specs) or "Modern" set-up (more arch to the board, wider/taller fret wire, different neck profile and extension than the Traditional). The set-up for the neck and board does not change the costing...

-Adrian
    Adrian,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I enjoyed the article on yall earlier this year in BU. So, by flatter, does that mean you do not make an absolutely flat board?

John

Hi again. We don't use a completely flat fingerboard on any of our standard specs. However, we'd be happy to provide one on any special order. -A

Haven't seen a pic of one of these posted on here.....

Name:	certofauth.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	86247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfieldlogopeghead.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	86252
    Last edited by majorbanjo; May-11-2012 at 4:30pm.

Wish my Les Paul had figure like this on it's top.....This Mandolin arrived today...Big Mon #155....Yeeehaaaa.....

Name:	crazyfiguredmaple.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	86248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullfront.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	86249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jamestailpiece.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	86250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peghead.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	86251
    Last edited by majorbanjo; May-11-2012 at 5:30pm.

Wish my Les Paul had figure like this on its top..
    When Adrian starts to build Les Paul..naa - keep him busy with the mandolins!
    Beautiful shots of a beautiful mandolin. I'm sure it sounds good, because I've never heard of one being anything but top notch in that department. Congratulations on the Big Mon.
    Last edited by Paul Statman; May-11-2012 at 6:43pm.

I'm just curious here. It would seem to me that the Big Mon model should be the one to have the traditional voice since Mon's sound is the epitome of the traditional blue grass sound. Just an idle thought is all.

Wish my Les Paul had figure like this on it's top.....This Mandolin arrived today...Big Mon #155....Yeeehaaaa.....

Name:	crazyfiguredmaple.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	86248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullfront.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	86249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jamestailpiece.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	86250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peghead.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	86251
    Wow! Looks like you got a good one! Congrats. Post a video or sound clip if you can sometime!

very impressive-looking on all counts! congrats!

Wow!! beatiful mandolin Major Banjo! Guess you will be playing all weekend til your fingers are too sore!
    Went to see a bluegrass band at the pub here in Beechworth last night..
    They had 2 mandolin players Lachlan Davidson and Josh Grundy (both multi instrumentalists) both were playing Gichrist mandolins.Lachlan only just got his, it's brand new.
    After the gig we all stayed back and had a jam session til 2 am,I got to play one of the Gilchrist's.Never played a top line mando before. amazing sound.
    Told the boys I would be getting a new Northfield soon and they pricked their ears up..They been checking them out on the net and both guys will be very interested in comparing them with their Gilchrists.
    So will I..
    I'm pretty excited..and I've already paid in full for mine..Nothing to do now but wait!
    Phil

Majorbanjo!!! Looks awesome! Everything you hoped for? I am trying to stifle a bad case of MAS....

I've played the mandolin for about a good 4-6 hours now.....and the tuning has finally stabilized....I find that an instrument shipped tuned down a step takes a while for the tuning to stabilize when retuned at the other end....I've also found after shipping 50 plus guitars that it takes a day or two to really give you the sound after a shipping....they go into a shock/sleep that they have to be roused out of by some good hard playing.........this mandolin is very big and open sounding which kind of scares me....if it opens up much more it could turn muddy.....the wood is beautiful..althought the top doesn't look like any red spruce I've ever seen.......I'll post more pictures later of the top....the grain looks tight and figured on the top...usually the red spruce I'm use to seeing has wide grain...getting tighter under the bridge...the back is beautiful....although not what I'd call matched as described on the website for premium wood......I define matched as a mirror image one side to the other...this is not close but is very nice.....I love the mandolin.....and love the tuners...the action on the tuners is perfect...couldn't be better.......it's set up very well and keeps getting better and better each time I pick it up.......That engraved james tailpiece is the classiest tail piece I've ever seen on a mandolin....I LOVE it........

Name:	label.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	86284