Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293051 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

If any of you Mandolin Cafe folks are over on Facebook, we now have an Aaron Ramsey musician/band page set up at

https://www.facebook.com/Aaron.Ramsey.Music When you go there, you can "like" the page and then hear a cut from Aaron's upcoming recording, hopefully to be released in early 2012.

The cut, titled Way Up On the Mountain, features Aaron on mandolin and vocal, Patton Wages on banjo, Randy Kohrs on dobro, Tim Stafford on guitar, David Babb on upright bass and Stuart Duncan on fiddle. If you like what you hear, tell all your friends on Facebook. I know Aaron would appreciate it.

Go listen and see how Aaron's Northfield mandolin stands up with Stuart Duncan's fiddle tone.
    Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	79259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	79260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	79261

Just a couple photos of northfield # 106 I hope they load okay

Wow, it worked. Mandolin looks better in person though.

I hope so, honestly the finish work looks a little rough in tose pictures. It's probably the lighting.

Hmmmm Double post?

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    I hope so, honestly the finish work looks a little rough in tose pictures. It's probably the lighting.
    I have one-Big Mon. That looks about how it is. Comes from the factory with sort of a "patina of age". Add to that a rapid appearance of checking all over. All normal for their varnish finish according to Adrian. If you like an aged look, its great. I hit the back and sides this weekend with some Jubillee Polish, elbow grease and patience. Completely transformed the finish. Glossy and streak-free, though still with lots of fine checking. This finish also reacts poorly to being touched by the tonegard and the armrest clamps-permanently damaged the finish on the contact areas and Jubillee is not going to fix that. Thinking I will leave the top as is for now however to minmize fingerprints and other such from showing in the finish.

Plays great though!

Quote Originally Posted by tr6drvr View Post
    This finish also reacts poorly to being touched by the tonegard and the armrest clamps-permanently damaged the finish on the contact areas..
    No - they really don't like that Tone Gard squeeze! Some varnish finish types won't fully harden for up to two years. I have experienced this on several mandolins. It doesn't like the arm rests, either.

It even hated the padded touch points in the back frame, even more than the squeeze. Pretty much the same effect as the arm rest clamps though not quite as severe. Too late now. Besides I like my tonegard and armrest too much to have waited 2 years, so the heck with it. I'm just going to play on!

Hedgehog a lot of what you see is the lighting and sorry for the double post.

It even hated the padded touch points in the back frame, even more than the squeeze. Pretty much the same effect as the arm rest clamps though not quite as severe. Too late now. Besides I like my tonegard and armrest too much to have waited 2 years, so the heck with it. I'm just going to play on!
    Good for you! I hate all the worrying about cosmetics that I read about. Play on.

It never occured to me that you double posted, it was my double post that I was refering to. I edited the double post to say what it does now. I should have worded it better. Yes, I figured it was the lighting......

Yup. That's what I did/do, too!

I super glued quality micro fiber pieces to the tonegard where it comes in contact with the finish and I have no marks .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ramsey View Post
    If any of you Mandolin Cafe folks are over on Facebook, we now have an Aaron Ramsey musician/band page set up at

https://www.facebook.com/Aaron.Ramsey.Music When you go there, you can "like" the page and then hear a cut from Aaron's upcoming recording, hopefully to be released in early 2012.

The cut, titled Way Up On the Mountain, features Aaron on mandolin and vocal, Patton Wages on banjo, Randy Kohrs on dobro, Tim Stafford on guitar, David Babb on upright bass and Stuart Duncan on fiddle. If you like what you hear, tell all your friends on Facebook. I know Aaron would appreciate it.

Go listen and see how Aaron's Northfield mandolin stands up with Stuart Duncan's fiddle tone.

Sounds killer!
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Thumbs up Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I super glued quality micro fiber pieces to the tonegard where it comes in contact with the finish and I have no marks .
    Thanks for the excellent tip there, yankees1!
    *Maybe this is a tip you could make widely known on these boards somewhere?

Git back on the first page..bumping this thread in anticipation of my Big Mon arriving in the next few months.....
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

Hey Adrian, how many F5 moderns will be in the next batch to be delivered to Elderly?

Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    Git back on the first page..bumping this thread in anticipation of my Big Mon arriving in the next few months.....
    Me too....

Hey Adrian, how many F5 moderns will be in the next batch to be delivered to Elderly?
    Just got mine a couple of days ago (modern) and it is indeed a beauty. I will probably be selling either it or my F-5 (Traditional) in the next couple of months as I bought one of each to see which one I liked best. So far, the tone and volume is very similar and as of yet the little differences are not very dramatic to me. When I called after mine arrived I did not ask how many were in this batch, but I ordered it in April and was #8 on the list at the time. The projected arrival date was November, so they were very close.
    Linksmaker

Hi Everyone!

Wishing all of you and yours a wonderful holiday.

All the best wishes,
    Northfield Mandolins
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	80114  

You too Adrian.....not long now.
    Last edited by Scotti Adams; Dec-28-2011 at 8:46am.

It appears that Chinese instruments may be headed in the direction of higher prices beginning this year and we know that Northfield did have a substantial increase just recently. So Adrian, can we expect further price increases within the next year?

Exclamation Re: Northfield mandolins

It appears that Chinese instruments may be headed in the direction of higher prices beginning this year and we know that Northfield did have a substantial increase just recently. So Adrian, can we expect further price increases within the next year?
    I know that their recent 50% price hike was a big blow to some prospective buyers last year. Let's hope NW can continue to function at this level for a while, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    I know that their recent 50% price hike was a big blow to some prospective buyers last year. Let's hope NW can continue to function at this level for a while, at least.
    If youu are talking about the $2500 to $3000 increase - that's not 50% - more like a20% increase - certainly significant, but far from 50%. Maybe at the first of the year they were priced at $2000 which would indicate a 50% increase for the entire year, but I ordered two of them in March (I think or about then anyway) and they were priced at $2499.
    Linksmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Links View Post
    If youu are talking about the $2500 to $3000 increase - that's not 50% - more like a20% increase - certainly significant, but far from 50%. Maybe at the first of the year they were priced at $2000 which would indicate a 50% increase for the entire year, but I ordered two of them in March (I think or about then anyway) and they were priced at $2499.
    Right you are, sir! I was referring to the 50% as in the $2-3K hike from when I first heard of them. I was unaware of an interim $500 increase.