Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272849 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

I believe he needs to find more dealers to sell his product so a lot of us can get our hands on them and see what he makes...I see a lot of Weber and Eastman dealers at festivals as well as Kentucky`s....Thats where most of us get the chance to play some new instruments....I know he said he was working on it but maybe he should have sent some of those that he sent to Elderly to some other dealers....Just sayin`....

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I believe he needs to find more dealers to sell his product so a lot of us can get our hands on them and see what he makes...I see a lot of Weber and Eastman dealers at festivals as well as Kentucky`s....Thats where most of us get the chance to play some new instruments....I know he said he was working on it but maybe he should have sent some of those that he sent to Elderly to some other dealers....Just sayin`....

Willie
    Why would they need to do that if the product is constantly on backorder? You don't need new dealers if you can't keep the ones you already have supplied with product.

I thought I would post these other options for peghead inlays that Adrian sent me a few weeks back. I opted for the 3rd one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NF_Inlay_Options[1] (2).jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	77524  

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I believe he needs to find more dealers to sell his product so a lot of us can get our hands on them and see what he makes...I see a lot of Weber and Eastman dealers at festivals as well as Kentucky`s.

Willie
    I would love this too! However, my bet is that might be pretty tough for them right now. It would probably take a serious ramp up in production. Especially since Adrian said they work from back orders.
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti Adams View Post
    I thought I would post these other options for peghead inlays that Adrian sent me a few weeks back. I opted for the 3rd one.
    That's the one I would have chosen......looks great..
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Hello Everyone. Always interesting to read these comments. Just a couple responses:
    IMO, tone is a very subjective thing. It really takes a mind reader to know exactly what everyone will like. So, what we try and do is make our mandolins very consistently respond with the characteristics we've admired from other instruments we've studied, along with our own ideas about what we ,as a shop, like in a mandolin. We like an easy response, a mandolin that doesn't take a huge amount of effort to pull out the sound. We like the sound of wood more than strings and voice our tops so that the mid range is clear and powerful. We prefer a darker chop and thorough bass to a cutting treble, but want that sparkle at the top end so guys like Emory who play up the neck, where we can't, can really make it sing. However, even with all of this there are still variables that can change tone...variables that change all the time. Like: Humidity Levels, the bridge (the set-up and even the particular piece of ebony), the strings you use, your pick, your tailpiece (whether it's muted or it's ringing like crazy) and most of all your touch. Without question, this last variable is the hardest to figure from our end. Every mandolin sounds different, right..we all agree on that. However, that same mandolin will sound different depending on the person playing it, their posture when playing, their attack, how they hold their pick...and even what they like to play. Some play real close to the bridge and get a more harsh sound, some play only softly up at that sweet spot around the end of the fingerboard. Some play nothing but down strokes...others play with a more contemporary 16th note melodic style. That all changes the way we hear the mandolin and it also changes the way the mandolin responds over time and changes along with the person playing it. And, of course, our ears change too. What we like today, might not float our boats tomorrow.

Since the very beginning of our little shop, we have been in a backorder situation. Nearly 90% of all instruments we have made have been ordered, shipped without anyone outside of ourselves playing them. It's a very demanding predicament to be in actually and I think we've done very well at meeting or exceeding people's expectations. That's our number one goal. We surely don't want to send something out that people won't like. Of course, our mandolin can't possibly be everyone's ultimate axe. In the few cases that people have decided not to keep their mandolins they have been able to send them back, either directly to us or to Elderly. With special orders we're not going to make you keep something that you just don't like. With some custom orders, like ones where we've had to adjust the neck shape, or have customized the fingerboard, etc it gets harder to find another home for the same instrument, so taking them back can get tricky. We always encourage people to stay within our standard specification options because of this. In some cases we have had people purchase a new instrument with some standard specs, play it for a while and then order a custom instrument from us with special features. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: We absolutely realize the pressure to preform that we are under given the situation and the fact that nearly everyone is buying an instrument they haven't played yet. Myself, I am an avid player and collector. I worked at Elderly Instruments for many years doing exactly the same thing: selling higher priced instruments to people that hadn't played them yet. It's all about knowing your expectation as a buyer and communicating that to..well, me. I hope to get it right a more times that I get it wrong and if we work together that'll happen. I This forum has been a fantastic way to learn, develop and improve. Still, some (maybe most) will always feel more comfortable playing the exact instrument you're considering before pulling the trigger on a purchase. At some point we hope to have instruments available at places for people to try and buy. That'll take some time, as it is we're staring at dozens of orders...stretching into next spring. Orders haven't slowed so we'll just have to keep up the hard work and hope to impress all of those with orders on the books now...along with those that are on the "fence".

Last thing: For John A above. I'll put this offer out there: Please have the owner of that instrument call me 269.267.3678. Perhaps we can find a way to make it sound better.

Thanks for reading. Hope you've all had a chance to download the tracks we put up yesterday. Some great moments.....Adrian
    That is a great response and there is nothing there that one could debate. I will let them know next Tuesday at our jam.
    Thanks for the detailed response.

Mandolinist

I have a new Northfield and well known Luthier made mando, as well as an Eastman 515. All F Styles. The Northfield is easily the finest of the three. The fit and finish are superb, the sound is warm and bright, and it is so responsive. I still marvel at how easy it is to play.

Where's the new Northfields?? Very quiet!!

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Where's the new Northfields?? Very quiet!!
    I was #7 in line at Elderly when I placed my order in August... talked to them a few days ago and I'm still no. 7. Was told another 4-5 months possibly. Apparently none have been delivered since then.
    Collings MT2 Varnish • Collings D1A Vintage Neck • Santa Cruz 1929-00

Hi Everyone. Mandolins are being delivered every month. We made some deliveries in October, around and at the IBMA show. Right now we're shipping custom orders to Virginia, Texas, Indiana, Japan and Italy. We have quite a few custom orders that are shipping, nearly all of them our Big Mon F and they're all heading out there into the world pretty regularly. Orders at Elderly for standard models are being completed as well. We start them as the orders come in and regardless of whether they're a custom or one placed through Elderly. Rest assured though, we're making mandolins...all day, everyday. FYI: There's a really nice Traditional Set-up F5 of ours at Elderly right now. This was from a batch we made just before the IBMA and all came out really nice.

All the best, Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    FYI: There's a really nice Traditional Set-up F5 of ours at Elderly right now. This was from a batch we made just before the IBMA and all came out really nice.
    How would you describe the tone of the Traditional setup at Elderly? Anything special done for IBMA?

I tried it at the Elderly Booth at IBMA. Very fine instrument. Great tone and very easy to play. Not broken in, it still rocked. I thought it had a very Gibson like sound and feel, more like newer Gibsons. That is just my take. I was very impressed. To me it is something more sophisticated in feel, tone and fit and finish than other pac-rim builders that I have tried. I can see why they are back ordered.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I just borrowed my dads #76 black topped NF. This thing has turned out to be a beast...really has. It has "it". Will be going into the studio with it this Wednesday.

Cant wait to get my Big Mon model.

I would be interested to hear how the two compare after you had it for a while.I've had my F-5M for about 2 months and it sounds great.

I almost ordered a Big Mon before I got on the waiting list.

Yea me too

Scotti how long is the wait for the Big Mon?

Ordered it the first week of Sept. Due date is mid Feb.

Took a chance on the Traditional at Elderly... should be here tomorrow! Hope they didn't have it in stock for a reason, kind of baffling if it has been available since IBMA.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by extremescene View Post
    Took a chance on the Traditional at Elderly... should be here tomorrow! Hope they didn't have it in stock for a reason, kind of baffling if it has been available since IBMA.
    We will be anxiously awaiting your review. I played that mandolin at IBMA and thought it was very good, although it is really difficult to determine much in the noisy environment t IBMA.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Quote Originally Posted by tburcham View Post
    We will be anxiously awaiting your review. I played that mandolin at IBMA and thought it was very good, although it is really difficult to determine much in the noisy environment t IBMA.
    Yea..let us know your thoughts. Headin to the studio today with Blackie

Scotti, Would love to know how the studio session went when you get through.

Thanks for asking. The NF rocked. It sounded great...sounded much more mature than it is. The engineer was impressed with its tone and sound over all. Just a great mandolin.

I received the Traditional NF on Wednesday and have been quite impressed so far. The tone is a bit brighter than I expected, but that is part of what I like about it. It's not overly piercing like some mandos can be, but a very strong, woody upper midrange. The G and D strings are very powerful, which is one of the best aspects of the tone. I do wish the A and E strings had a little bit thicker sound, but that is being very picky. I get a sense that this mandolin needs played quite a bit more to bring out its full potential, but at $3k, it is already a winner!

Playability is very impressive as well... the traditional neck is setup with very low action and plays very fast... I was worried that I should have waited for the modern setup, but this is hard to beat and I think that would have been a mistake. It is easier to play than my Collings was, so that is saying a lot. It is hands down a winner over the Gibson F9 I had a few years back as well, which was very powerful, but also very tight and had a pretty harsh high end. I also just took this NF down to Gruhns and played everything under $4k... the Northfield definitely held it's own and beat nearly everything.

Just a quick recording of the NF produced a very nice balanced tone that didn't need any EQ to sit right into the track. The blend was incredible with my D1AV... Can't wait to do some serious recordings with this thing!

Thats great. Like any instrument they only get better with age and play. Ive recorded a video of me playing my dads Black Face....it wont load here.

Exclamation Re: Northfield mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti Adams View Post
    Thats great. Like any instrument they only get better with age and play. Ive recorded a video of me playing my dads Black Face....it wont load here.
    I wish I could get good tone out of my dad's face..
    ..it would be loads cheaper than this mandolin lark!