Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222344 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Does anyone know if my Big Mon will fit in a standard mandolin case? I've got a nice case that I kept an 85' carlson signed flatiron in before I traded the mandolin for a guitar...I was intending to keep it in that case.....but now knowing the big mon is bigger.....it might not fit....??
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

You shouldnt have a problem. Most cases have enough wiggle room to accomodate the 5mm bigger size. Thats not alot. The "Big Mon" body style is just slightly different than the standard size. Its increased 5mm in the width of the body, at its widest point.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Seems like I read somewhere on here that "those older Gibsons were bigger then the new ones". Is that what Northfield is trying to achieve with the Big Mon?
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    Seems like I read somewhere on here that "those older Gibsons were bigger then the new ones". Is that what Northfield is trying to achieve with the Big Mon?
    You can read the reasoning behind the reason on their site. Has nothing to do with the older Gibbys

Just talked to my parents about myself setting up a payment plan to them. That way they get their money back, and I get a Northfield while they are still within reason. Another 500 dollar raise and I won't be able to, by the time I saved up that kind of money they will have gone up another 500, or even more.

Played my dads black topped F friday...man has that thing opened up. I thought it sounded just fine before but after a month of his thumpin on it ..its a different beast now.

I was going to go with the blacktop because I love the look, but after looking at the pictures on their website I decided on a the more traditional look......

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Witty View Post
    Just talked to my parents about myself setting up a payment plan to them. That way they get their money back, and I get a Northfield while they are still within reason. Another 500 dollar raise and I won't be able to, by the time I saved up that kind of money they will have gone up another 500, or even more.
    Price already raised!

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Price already raised!
    I mean again, to 3500. I was the one who originally posted that their prices had gone up lol

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Elderly has raised the prices on Northfield. The F5 model is now $3000 and the A5 is $2100. You knew it had to happen. I was going to order one but that blew my budget.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

Howdy pickers,,3G is not too bad to pay for what ya get!!,,Real high quility mando for the bucks,,,,You can find used ones sometimes and to me used is better than new!some of the hard work has been done to break em in a little for ya...There is a used Northfield in the classifieds right now for a great price!,I'd love to buy her but already have one.its like Jerry Reed said "ya know whats better than one bologna sandwich Two"..

Blog Entries

Just making sure all you Northfield lovers know that there is currently a Northfield F5 being offered in the Cafe Classifieds.
    No financial interest on my part.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Already inquired upon, Ed.

Already inquired upon, Ed.
    Good luck!
    Collings MT2 Varnish • Collings D1A Vintage Neck • Santa Cruz 1929-00

Thank you! Pray for me lol

Slightly serious, slightly not... Can't decide. All I know is that I want that mandolin.

Thank you! Pray for me lol

Slightly serious, slightly not... Can't decide. All I know is that I want that mandolin.
    Well - if you were ready last week to get in line and pay $3000 for a new one that won't arrive until next Feb, sounds like it's a no brainer to me to jump on this one Besides I don't think you'll have any trouble passing it on to another player should you decide not to keep it for whatever reason and get your money back.

Everything I have read, seen, and heard points to a great mandolin. Here is my issue: The price has increased by 50% in a very short period of time ($2,000 to now $3,000). Other chinese manufacturers have not gone up in this time frame. Eastman actually lowered the price on their 815 model during this time. Eastman and The Loar have both held their prices.
    I am glad there is a demand for these mando's. I just think their pricing structure has escalated too dramatically. In this recessionary economy, I haven't noticed Weber, Collings, or Gibson increasing their mando prices like this...nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    Everything I have read, seen, and heard points to a great mandolin. Here is my issue: The price has increased by 50% in a very short period of time ($2,000 to now $3,000). Other chinese manufacturers have not gone up in this time frame. Eastman actually lowered the price on their 815 model during this time. Eastman and The Loar have both held their prices.
    I am glad there is a demand for these mando's. I just think their pricing structure has escalated too dramatically. In this recessionary economy, I haven't noticed Weber, Collings, or Gibson increasing their mando prices like this...nuff said.
    As long as the demand exceeds production, prices will rise. The companies you mentioned arent exceeding production capacity lately. Collings had to start building ukes and electrics to keep their employees busy once the recession hit.

Glad I ordered mine at the old price!
    Collings MT2 Varnish • Collings D1A Vintage Neck • Santa Cruz 1929-00

Economies have scale......things are getting worse for some and better for others......Northfield appartently continues to get better...for the moment.....

Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    Supply and demand!! Time will tell !

Well this sucks. I inquired about it and told him I couldn't officially put it in stone to get it until tomorrow morning, and he sold it 3 hours later to someone else. Kind of a punch to the gut.

Well this sucks. I inquired about it and told him I couldn't officially put it in stone to get it until tomorrow morning, and he sold it 3 hours later to someone else. Kind of a punch to the gut.
    Keith - I really am sorry to hear that. I knew how much you've been saving for one. Did you have an agreement with the seller that he would hold the mando until tomorrow? If not, usually the person who is the first one who has the money and say 'I'll take it' gets the mandolin. Perhaps the buyer is someone who may have inquired about it before you did? Just hard to say what may have happened. I've had great instruments slipped through my hand in the past that if I see something I want, I usually go in and let the seller know my intention to buy it right away. This would help the seller sees that I'm not one of the tire kickers looking for more information.

Again - sorry that you had missed this one. Who knows - maybe the buyer for some reason ends up backing out, or decide not to keep the mandolin once he or she receives it. Let the seller know you're interested and ask to be kept on the list as a backup in case the deal falls through. You'd never know.

The early bird gets the worm!

But the second mouse gets the cheese!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    But the second mouse gets the cheese!
    Whats the first mouse get?