Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23444546474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1276

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Merry Christmas to you as well! I had a bit of clouding on mine where my forearm rested. I added an arm rest about 4 months ago and the finish has returned to it's original state so there was no permanent damage.

Merry Christmas to all from Big Sky Country.

3. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

I am a bit confused as it seems some dealers are allowed more than the F5S and F2S models. I had asked my dealer if he could order a Big Mon and he was told "no".
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Bumping this thread to say that I just acquired a very lightly used NF-5S from the fine folks at Cotten Music Center in Nashville, and WOW. The mando was solidly in the middle of my price range, but even if I'd had the budget to reach Collings, etc., I'm not sure I would have. This thing is awesome and I'm going to hold onto it for a long, long time.

I just picked up a Northfield NF5-SA #281; after testing several Collings MF, a Pava Pro, a Gibson F5-G, a used Carleson Gibson F5-L, and a Weber Yellowstone. Even with the increase in price to $2,995 this year, the Northfield's sound and feel stood out and matched my ear for both classical and bluegrass.

Fit and finish are really wonderful. I like the smaller scratch guard (Compared to Gibson), and the fact that it's only joined to the soundboard at one small spot by the neck joint. Adrian and the team have put a lot of thought and science into the construction, and it shows. But, more than that... these are mandolin obsessed guys, who produce a top quality product.

I know many question the value because construction is done in Asia. The people doing the work include European, American, Japanese, and Chinese Craftsman. Considering they have only produced 300 Mando's in 7 years... it's not fair to compare them to Kentucky, Loar, or Eastman. Simply a very different type of organization.

D
    Last edited by dschonbrun; Feb-07-2016 at 11:06pm.

I've had an F2S for half a year or so, and it's really a great instrument. I agree that judging them based on where they are constructed is a mistake. I'm moving this one on, but just to go to an F hole instrument from the oval, and then only because I can't afford to hold on to two of them... Looks great, plays great, sounds great... there are zero flaws in fit/finish on mine.

I got caught on a web meander through a series of demonstration videos of several different Northfield instruments, and when I see and hear Emory Lester and Mike Marshall and other great professionals play them, they sing to me. Hmmmmm

My two cents and NFI, this is all subjective, etc.

This week I had a chance to play a variety across the higher ends of the well known and liked Asian manufacturers, one large and common US builder, and small custom shops. The Northfield F5S amazed me about the sound, comfort and looks. The Pavas, at and above the price were also very good and comparable. I liked the Northfield's sound better, but again the Pavas were very good and some may prefer them. Overall though, all considered, I think the Northfield was head and shoulders above everything else. Just passing this along since I had the opportunity to make the comparison.

at the end of the day these things are made out of wood, metal and some forms of plastic. like the ingredients in a fine dish it has more to do with who's cooking than the ingredients themselves, although better ingredients CAN make a world of difference. i don't care who's making them or where they're being made if they sound/play/look great. the Gibson mandolins of the 60's and 70's were made right here in the USA and we all know how much THAT did for them. yes, the Northfield mandolins are impressive... i can't wait to see/try one of their Artist models...

regarding this thread:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...es-comparisons

anyone played the Northfield model that is a recent build for Adam Steffey ( 1 1/4" nut, scalloped fretboard)?

a few questions :
    1)what is the string spacing at the saddle
    2)is the neck profile similar to the standard F5S
    3)does this model have internal changes that are being used in the Artist series
    4)will this be a "standard" model one can order
    5)are the Artist series totally made in the USA or are they a combined build as with the F5S
    (a lot of these questions came up in the above thread link)

thanks
    d
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Mar-12-2016 at 3:17pm.

13. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

New Model M arrived Friday. I'm completely smitten. Here are a few photos. I'll try to post some audio clips at some point. Fingers are kinda sore today...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top front view.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	144428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neck.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	144426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	label.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	144425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	843.3 KB 
ID:	144424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full front.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	925.6 KB 
ID:	144423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuners.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	842.9 KB 
ID:	144429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fingerboard.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	729.9 KB 
ID:	144421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fingerboard extension and bridge.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	144420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	144418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	144427
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

Wow, that's pretty. I'd like to hear the sound clips when your fingers recover.

Very nice, indeed.

That low-profile tailpiece intrigues me, a Nugget design. I spoke with NF about it some time ago, was/am considering it for my Gilchrist (although Steve's is an awesome piece, as well.)

i like that tailpiece as well... not sure how it might affect playability (i.e. shirt fabric getting caught on something?) but it's a nice-looking, low-weight (i assume) design... nice axe!

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    i like that tailpiece as well... not sure how it might affect playability (i.e. shirt fabric getting caught on something?) but it's a nice-looking, low-weight (i assume) design... nice axe!
    Finally!! A practical use for the grommets, slide them south a bit to cover the string windings. Problem solved!! Useful on Rigel mandolins as well.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

20. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Good idea.

Maybe it's just my arm position, armrest, or whatever, but I've used that tailpiece for over a year now, no problems at all, in fact I think it's pretty great. Again, my two cents.

I had a tailpiece similar to that one on a Nugget I used to own and it trashed the right arm (sleeve) of several wool sweaters. I sure like the simplicity of it, though...
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Mar-16-2016 at 11:14pm.

What a Northfield Model M sounds like in the hands of mere mortals...
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thank you, Michael. I twinned you, did you hear it?

26. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Thank you, Michael. I twinned you, did you hear it?
    That was you??

28. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

AlanN 

Michael, great sounding Northfield and some good clean picking. May I ask what brand of strap you are using? I'm getting an A5 mandolin and have been looking for a strap. Thanks, Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Michael, great sounding Northfield and some good clean picking. May I ask what brand of strap you are using? I'm getting an A5 mandolin and have been looking for a strap. Thanks, Nick.
    Thank you for the kind words, Nick. That is a brand new Levy's mandolin strap - nothing fancy. I paid about $15 for it. It is like the one I bought for a model F. It doesn't sit as flat around the A's body under the fingerboard extension yet, but I am hoping it will stretch out a bit and conform better in time.

Thanks for the info.

This one in the classifieds...
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/96417#96417

It's over $5k. That's about the most expensive NF I've seen. Where/how would it be made compared to the less expensive models? Or is it mostly materials that account for the price..