Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1276

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Hello Adrian,
    I had the chance to get my hands on a Big Mon a few months back, and it was as good as any mandolin I have ever played. I then got to wondering, have you guys have ever built an oval hole Big Mon?
    Thanks.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Adrian, Will the dealers be offering the A models?
    Hi Mando Bar: That remains to be seen. However, we are making great progress on many fronts and will be talking about all the new things around our shop in the coming weeks. Please keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
    Hello Adrian,
    I had the chance to get my hands on a Big Mon a few months back, and it was as good as any mandolin I have ever played. I then got to wondering, have you guys have ever built an oval hole Big Mon?
    Thanks.
    Z
    Hi there Zissou Intern. We have only built one--which we adored... and actually, a picture of the back of that mandolin is featured on the front of our website, resting against the stairs to my home. Would be happy to talk tone and all the variables any time. Give us a call. All the best, Adrian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbrock View Post
    I have never played a Northfield that has the low end of a Silverangel. I have owned both, and played many from each maker. Not taking anything away from Northfield here or the low end they have, they just don't go for as bass heavy of a sound as Ken goes for on the Silverangels. The Northfield puts more emphasis in the Loar-mid-range camp. Again, not a bad thing, just different than SA. If I were playing solo mandolin, I would go for the SA. Huge sound with big-big bottom... It is almost like playing a guitar. In a context where you need a mandolin to cut, low end may not be what your after. You may need more mids and highs, and the Northfield may be the ticket. Either are great products, but we're talking apples and oranges... And another thing, Ken's design on the SA of late has a higher arch than even the Big Mon, and thus an even larger air chamber. Plus Ken is a master of and believer in X bracing, where Northfields are tone bars. This also makes a difference. I love both products dearly! I can say though that after playing my SA for a while and picking up another mandolin, it is like going from a dreadnaught to a parlor guitar. I am still hopeful that 1 day Northfield will offer cedar and/ or redwood options. If I ever get another I'll probably go with an engelmann top if that and red spruce are all that's on the table.
    Shawn, in this hour long video by Adam Steffey he demos and also gives him impressions about many of the Northfield models including a direct comparison of difference in tone between Engelman and Adirondack spruce topped Northfield mandolins. If these two mandolins are typical it could be an important decision to make.

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

Bernie, do you happen to know at what point in the hour he compares the spruce tops?
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

BSG,

The discussion of topwood starts at about minute 25. Good Stuff

David
    You can't get there from here.

Quote Originally Posted by DPrager View Post
    BSG,

The discussion of topwood starts at about minute 25. Good Stuff

David
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Bernie, do you happen to know at what point in the hour he compares the spruce tops?
    Sorry I missed your question until now -- but looks like it has been answered!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks David and Bernie, I saw this workshop when it was originally aired. It's nice to hear the sounds of the different tops.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That A with the Englemann top just has such a nice, full tone to me.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bridges View Post
    That A with the Englemann top just has such a nice, full tone to me.
    Yes, and I was interested once again to hear him describe the A's as "made here in Michigan."
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I posted a thread a month or 2 ago, asking for more details on those. Northfield followed up, said that details would be forthcoming soon.I'm very curious to see some more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Yes, and I was interested once again to hear him describe the A's as "made here in Michigan."
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

Take a look at their website. Adrian, or whoever has written the page concerning his background and the background of the company, did a nice job of explaining the details of how things work at Northfield. There are also changes being made to their build environment as I have seen pics on their Facebook page of their new showroom in Michigan and I have seen mandolins hanging after finish has been applied. They may be moving more operations here. From what I gather this is not a factory environment, but mandolins being made by a handful of builders in small batches.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    ... They [Northfield] may be moving more operations here. From what I gather this is not a factory environment, but mandolins being made by a handful of builders in small batches.
    Or perhaps a "factory" with a "small shop" working environment -- this company seems to be on a good path.

Not to highjack the thread in any way but it is worth pointing out here, since you mentioned the topic, that Gibson now builds mandolins in exactly that way mandolins made in batches by teams of luthiers.

It is worth noting that this method works. In the case of Gibson a strong case can be made that the "factory" is now building the best mandolins ever -- even surpassing (over all those made under Lloyd Loar's watch in the 1920's..

Oddly enough I've never played one of these Northfields.
    Bernie
    ____

Hey Everyone,
    Thought I'd take a moment and share a link that explains more about our new workshop in Michigan.
    http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...round-the-shop
    ....... and consider this an open invitation to anyone interested in visiting us :-)

I bought the NF-F5S and I am very happy with it. I have a tone guard on it, and man the volume and tone are incredible.

Hi Everyone,
    Wanted to let you all know that we are proud sponsors of the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival this year. We will be bringing a few different models and displaying them at the Woodstock Music Shop tent in the vendor area. We'd love to show anyone going to the festival what we're working on.
    Looking forward to meeting some of you and catching all the great music that weekend has to offer!

19. The following members say thank you to Northfield mando for this post:

Played a recent Big Mon at the Mandolin Symposium and was really impressed by how it plays and sounds. It's also a tremendous improvement over an earlier standard Master model I had. I heard there had been some refining of the build process and this one really shows.

21. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Hi Folks-

I was at Mando and Banjo Week at Swanannoa last week. What an amazing gathering of teachers and other great players: Emory Lester, Mike Marshall, John Reischman, Catarina Lichtenberg, David Surette, Darol Anger, Joe Craven. I got a chance to meet Adrian and Peter from Northfield and they were there for the entire week. They had on display a master models F and A, an oval F4, a Big Mon, an F5S with Engelmann and an A5 also with Engelmann. Everyone was free to play whichever model they wanted and Adrian and Pete were always there to answer questions, etc. The instruments were simply impressive. Easy playing, responsive, full, balanced. To see and hear Mike, John, Emory, David and the others play them, often in jam mode was an amazing treat. The Northfield mandolins received numerous positive comments from instructors and students alike, who often came back to play them over and over. Emory Lester's Master Model sounds amazing. I think several other Cafe' members were there as well. And NFI here, just saying how great it was to see and hear all the Northfield models together. Thanks for spending the week there Adrian and Pete.

I received my new Big Mon this weekend. I could not be more pleased. I got a red spruce top, sugar maple back, and the large sound holes. It sounds like a young, frisky Aretha Franklin. Every time I play it, I say "wow" out loud. The fit and finish are very good too. I requested a simpler peghead inlay, a plain fretboard, 1 1/8" nut, traditional neck shape and frets, and a modern FB extension. It feels great in my hand, and has the look of elegant simplicity that I really love. The folks at Northfield are doing things right!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NF05.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	122824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NF01.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	122823  

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geno For This Useful Post:

I like the way you spec'd the Big Mon and love the 'burst. Add a Sam Bush "Hoss" cut off and you have my dream mandolin! Play it in good health. I hope to join the Big Mon club some day.

Nice, I'm waiting for a master model later this year. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Hi Folks-

I was at Mando and Banjo Week at Swanannoa last week. What an amazing gathering of teachers and other great players: Emory Lester, Mike Marshall, John Reischman, Catarina Lichtenberg, David Surette, Darol Anger, Joe Craven. I got a chance to meet Adrian and Peter from Northfield and they were there for the entire week. They had on display a master models F and A, an oval F4, a Big Mon, an F5S with Engelmann and an A5 also with Engelmann. Everyone was free to play whichever model they wanted and Adrian and Pete were always there to answer questions, etc. The instruments were simply impressive. Easy playing, responsive, full, balanced. To see and hear Mike, John, Emory, David and the others play them, often in jam mode was an amazing treat. The Northfield mandolins received numerous positive comments from instructors and students alike, who often came back to play them over and over. Emory Lester's Master Model sounds amazing. I think several other Cafe' members were there as well. And NFI here, just saying how great it was to see and hear all the Northfield models together. Thanks for spending the week there Adrian and Pete.
    I, too, was at Swannanoa at the same time and I took Emory Lester's class each day. I thought I'd heard great tone and volume from mandolins before but that Northfield in Emory's hands was loud and woody. A great sounding mandolin in the hands of a great player.

I've been reading through this thread over the last couple days and another I found on the site, and I felt compelled to add a comment, though I don't often comment on this site, nor am I the world's best player or probably even better than average...

I recently purchased an NF-5S. Two things. One, I absolutely love the way my Northfield sounds and plays. I read a lot about sound on this site and others. Not a lot of folks weigh in on playability, but for me playability ranks up there with sound; in some ways it may be even more important to me. If the instrument feels awesome in hand and fretting it is a breeze, then it makes better music IMHO. My 5S is AWESOME to play, AND it sounds great: very balanced between lows, mids and highs; great projection; killer chop (my band mates commented on this aspect straight out of the gate!). I have another very nice mandolin, but I fear it is not long for my world because the 5S just cranks!

Two, as part of my purchase and follow up, I had the pleasure of dealing directly with Adrian and Derek, though I didn't purchase the mandolin directly from Northfield. Without boring anyone with all the details, I can say without a shred of doubt that the customer service I received from them was BY FAR the best CS I've ever received from an instrument manufacturer or retailer, bar none!

I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
    Northfield 5S
    Girouard A-style
    Weber Hyalite
    Huss and Dalton Road Series OMR
    White Mountain No Frills Banjo

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krusty505 For This Useful Post:

Hey Rick,

Just came across your post. I just bought #67 back in April from someone in Nashville. Great instrument. I'm very happy with it. I'm curious why you sold it. Seems like this mando has had a few owners.

Bill