Thread: Looking to get a real mando on a budget

Default Looking to get a real mando on a budget

Greatings,

After playing guitar for 20 years I picked up a Rouge mandolin from Musician's friend (ok i got the guitar to have something to take out to parks and camping and it the mando came free), and now well i'm hooked. At this time I'm am disabled and have lots of free time to learn something new so I'm looking at getting a real mandolin, and by real I mean something made out of real wood. I have a budget of $350 give or take, would like something that sounds good I could play at church and jam with friends. I am looking at the following A style mandos (I just like the look of the A style)...

Epiphone MM-30
    Kentucky KM-150 Standard A-Model
    Kentucky KM-250 Artist A-Model
    Washburn M1S Mandolin
    Ibanez M511S A-Style
    Dean Tennessee A Mandolin
    Mitchell MM100VS A-Style
    Fender FM 100 Mandolin
    Fender FM-53S Acoustic

Again i have the the $50 Rouge and I have picked up playing chords and runs really well and would like something i can play at church and with friends and use the Rogue as a beater for the park and camping and such.

Default Re: Looking to get a real mando on a budget

[QUOTE=Krab;847723]Greatings,

After playing guitar for 20 years I picked up a Rouge mandolin from Musician's friend (ok i got the guitar to have something to take out to parks and camping and it the mando came free), and now well i'm hooked. At this time I'm am disabled and have lots of free time to learn something new so I'm looking at getting a real mandolin, and by real I mean something made out of real wood. I have a budget of $350 give or take, would like something that sounds good I could play at church and jam with friends. I am looking at the following A style mandos (I just like the look of the A style)...

Kentucky KM-150 Standard A-Model
    Kentucky KM-250 Artist A-Model

Again i have the the $50 Rouge and I have picked up playing chords and runs really well and would like something i can play at church and with friends and use the Rogue as a beater for the park and camping and such.[/QUOTE

The highlighted Kys would probably be the best choices.

Welcome from another newbie.

Let me be the first to say it . The Kentucky KM-505 I have one about a month. You can get one used for that money here in the classified. For a few dollars more you can get one new from one of the forum sponsors with a great set up ready to go.

If I were feeling patient and had $350 to spend, I'll start looking around and get myself either a "The Loar" LM-300 (if I could find one in stock somewhere for that price) or get on a waiting list for one. If I were feeling less patient and wanted to have at least a bit of money left over I'd go for a Kentucky KM-160/KM-162 or whatever model in that $240-ish price range with whatever color finish I could find in stock.

But I'm pretty sure the LM-300 would be a great playing and great sounding mandolin, based on having nearly purchased one myself and getting a similar LM-400. Given that you can find the '300 right at the top of your budget (whenever they're not sold out) it's an awfully fine instrument for that price. I would not buy an Epiphone, Fender, Ibanez or any of the other brands beside Kentucky or "The Loar" that populate that price range. No comparison, really.

So the Kentucky is the way to go then? Also I'm in Houston, TX so I might be able to find a used one. I could stretch it to the $416 for the Kentucky KM-505

If you can stretch far enough for a KM-505 from a dealer who will set it up correctly, do that. It would give you a "real mandolin" and then some. They're real nice.

As for used, unless you can see it in person beforehand and are qualified to judge the details of how it is adjusted (and by "details" we're talking a couple thousandths of an inch here or there makes a difference) then you need to save aside a good $75-$100 to have it set up and adjusted as necessary by a competent mandolin repair person. Likewise, only buy a new one from someone you trust to dial it in just about perfectly for you.

Ok a question got you Texans out there, Is there a good shop in the Houston area that could do the set up for me. I do all of my own guitar repair work and set up. I was lucky enough to have someone teach me when I was younger.

ok i found a Loar Lm 300VS for $339.00 that is set up and case included if that a good price on that?

Well, I can't say anything about someone in Houston to do the set-up, but most all of the stores that are posted here on the Cafe will do the set-up before sending the instrument to you. So:

Folkmusician

Janet Davis

Everyplace else seems to be out of the KM 505, but......
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

yeah I see everyplace is out of the KM 505 til after the first of the year. I was looking at getting something before the 23. I am going to a bluegrass festival amd as much as I would hate to take it out to that I don't want to get funny looks for the cheapo that I have now.

I have tried the KM 505 and I like it quite a bit, also the Eastman 505, if you can find one used might fall into your price range. I have not tried the The Loars, but I hear pretty good things about them, although one thing to note about them is the neck size and shape. They are noted to be quite large and some people find them uncomfortable. Personally I would call and talk to the folks at either FolkMusician.com or the mandolin store. I would trust either of them to help me get started with the type of mandolins you are looking at.

Ok I have settled on a Kentucky. For the price they seem to be the best, and I stumbled into a KM-700 F from a buddy who no longer plays and looking to unload it. Thanks for the help and the info.

Congrats on the KM700. It might still benefit from a set-up. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Lots of good info to find in here.

Thanks. This is the first time outside of a video game that i have ever really used a forum. I felt bad buying it from him but he never played it and he won't get a job so I was like sure I'll buy it since i have just seen it a month ago and it was is great shape.
    The reason i'm going with the Kentucky is because I was under the impression that the Loar was made by Gibson or the same family. i didn't know it was someone who had bought the name.

Quote Originally Posted by robert.najlis View Post
    I have not tried the The Loars, but I hear pretty good things about them, although one thing to note about them is the neck size and shape. They are noted to be quite large and some people find them uncomfortable.
    Just for future reference, Robert, the LM-700 and LM-600 have the bigger necks. The '400 and '300 are roughly KM-505 sized, not big at all. I actually kinda liked the bigger neck on the F-style LM's but I like the regular one on my LM-400 just fine.

I started on a Rouge too. I bought a used Kentucky KM-630 F style used a few months ago for a really good price. Ironically, the Rouge had a much better factory set up! So I second the post above regarding the possible benefits of a pro set up.

To be clear: My Kentucky is superior to the Rouge, but did need a lot of set-up work, including taking some wood off the bridge, lowering some of the nut slots (to improve intonation low on the neck), and filing a few high frets.

Hi Krab,

The KM-700 is a nice mandolin. You did well.

I guess this no longer applies to you, so for anyone else reading this thread....

I received the call today and a new batch of KM-505 mandolins is at the Saga warehouse (San Francisco) now. I am told they will start shipping Monday.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

For setup work in Houston you might try a couple of things. First, you could drop a note to the local Bluegrass Clubs for a recommendation. They are Bay Area Bluegrass Assn and Spring Creek. Lots of mando players in the area so they probably have a guy they can recommend. Second, you might try Fuller's Vintage Guitar. They're a Gibson mandolin dealer and their stuff is usually pretty well set up.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Krab-

You've made a good decision in deciding on the Kentucky. Probably the best buy for the money that you have. Have fun!!!

Ummmm isn't the brand "ROGUE" and not "ROUGE"?

I bought a Weber at Fullers Vintage Guitars. I would think they would have a technician that could do a setup but I don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nelson View Post
    Ummmm isn't the brand "ROGUE" and not "ROUGE"?
    Sorry bad habbit from my WoW days when we would spell it wrong to upset those who played rogues
    "Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility." - Khalil Gibran

Ahhh... MMORPG!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger